• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • .45 Dave

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    "In an interview with the CBC's The Fifth Estate in November of 2014, F-16 co-designer Pierre Sprey berated the F-35 "inherently a terrible plane, because it's built based on a dumb idea"—a multirole, multi-service aircraft"--quoted from article. As they say "Jack of all trades, Master of none"

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    "In an interview with the CBC's The Fifth Estate in November of 2014, F-16 co-designer Pierre Sprey berated the F-35 "inherently a terrible plane, because it's built based on a dumb idea"—a multirole, multi-service aircraft"--quoted from article. As they say "Jack of all trades, Master of none"
    Sour grapes? :dunno:

I will say that the F35 program has done a lot for the embedded software world. There's a new coding standard and testing tools that were developed to support that endeavor because of the massive amount of code required.

Hey, at least it doesn't freak out when you cross the international date line.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I read that earlier this week on ARFCOM. Mixed opinions over there, including those of current and former military pilots. Definitely not a flattering report. At the same time, there are a lot of things built into that plane to prevent it from having to dog fight as its main mode of defense. In most situations the plane will have seen and shot down the F-16 (or equivalent) long before it turns into a turning fight.

I will give the F-16 some credit though...even at 40 years old, that thing is still a nimble plane and in the hands of a good pilot is very capable.

It is kind of interesting that we're repeating some past history lessons though. In the 50's and 60's we took guns off our fighters as we expected stand off missile engagements from beyond the horizon. It turned out that a lot of those fighters ended up fighting a much different battle then they were designed to fight, including air to ground operations that allowed enemy planes to get well within dog fight range.

Hence the creation of Top Gun and other programs, and the addition of a cannon into the later 3rd and subsequent 4th gen fighters.

This is my understanding as well. The F35 would have engaged and destroyed the 16 before the pilot even knew he was there.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Dog fights with planes, ancient outdated type of warfare.

They said that before Vietnam. Then our kill ratio superiority took a nose dive.

Or are you planning on replacing the fleet with drones.
    Cause I'm sure they'll work fine as long as we go after non-technical enemies and stay away from anyone with a technological base and can jam them.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Eventually, the missiles are shot and there's still an enemy to deal with. Then it's handy to have a gun before ramming them. There is however, this really cool laser pod they're testing right now down at White Sands...150kW's of I'll just fry you where you stand. Go ahead, put on your laser safety glasses, I'll wait.

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    This is the "A" version they are reporting on.
    The "B" version is almost certainly already under production.
    And I'll bet big money, the "C" version can take a licking.

I'm just a little bit embarrassed.

I dont know a thing about the Littoral class warships.

I read the linked article about the first version- the (A)Littoral boats.

I surmised that there would be an imminent improved version- the (B)Littoral boats.

And I really thought that my prognostication that the next improved version could "take a licking" went totally unappreciated.

<that would be the (C)Litorral craft>.

Honestly. The military has been fighting the last war for generations. But an opportunity to opine on the effectiveness of the Littoral naval vessel comes along rarely.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

I surmised that there would be an imminent improved version- the (B)Littoral boats.

And I really thought that my prognostication that the next improved version could "take a licking" went totally unappreciated.

Honestly. The military has been fighting the last war for generations. But an opportunity to opine on the effectiveness of the Littoral naval vessel comes along rarely.

:rofl:

You're just too cerebral for us.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello

You have far more confidence than I do. Be it an aircraft or a ship, the more mission you want it to be capable of the less likely it will be very good at any of them.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Dog fights with planes, ancient outdated type of warfare.

They said that before Vietnam. Then our kill ratio superiority took a nose dive.

Or are you planning on replacing the fleet with drones.
    Cause I'm sure they'll work fine as long as we go after non-technical enemies and stay away from anyone with a technological base and can jam them.

Eventually, the missiles are shot and there's still an enemy to deal with. Then it's handy to have a gun before ramming them. There is however, this really cool laser pod they're testing right now down at White Sands...150kW's of I'll just fry you where you stand. Go ahead, put on your laser safety glasses, I'll wait.

That's very funny.

I will go with the evidence which tells us that long-range missiles are neither foolproof nor do they live up to the declared capabilities under all conditions. This is like going into a fight with a long stick. When someone gets in under that stick too close to you, he owns you unless you have a viable alternate plan and appropriate equipment to carry it out.

You have far more confidence than I do. Be it an aircraft or a ship, the more mission you want it to be capable of the less likely it will be very good at any of them.

Once again, I will go with the evidence. We have tried I don't know how man times to make weapon systems all things to all people and it has never worked, primarily because you cannot make one system appropriate for entirely different applications which are challenging different laws of physics in the pursuit of success in a given mission. Otherwise, we would have one class of motor vehicle which could replace passenger cars, semi trucks, and race cars. Seriously, the only point at which one size fits all weapon systems have ever succeeded is looking good on the bean counter's papers.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    BTW, with China and Russia each getting closer to stealthy aircraft, long range missiles become a less effective option. Dogfights between stealthy aircraft may actually become more common.

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    Has anyone considered that all the negative assessments/information concerning the F-35 might be one big example of disinformation? Not saying it is but could it be they are wanting to keep secret the actual performance/capabilities of this aircraft?

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    China will probably be the only country to be able to afford expensive weapons before long.
    Think about it....Back to old fashioned warfare with sticks and rocks. After WW3 that's what it's all going to be about.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Has anyone considered that all the negative assessments/information concerning the F-35 might be one big example of disinformation? Not saying it is but could it be they are wanting to keep secret the actual performance/capabilities of this aircraft?

Considering that it is an extremely expensive program which plenty of critics, my guess is that while they may want to understate the performance somewhat, it would be politically suicidal to present it as a complete failure, and, therefore, I would not expect reports this dismal to be invented as disinformation.

Top Bottom