• Status
    Not open for further replies.

gunrunner1212

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2008
    Anderson
    I'd like to see the site remain as free as possible and instead look for ways to add perks to the supporters. Things like free morale patches, extra PM space, specialty avatars, etc. I would hate to see any part of the site restricted from non-supporters.
    I agree, I became a supporter at the last 1500 and i did it to help the site not for the perks this site is a perk. I think the more perks we get the more it will probably cost to keep it running :dunno:. But an INGO email address would be nice too.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    The INGO email address would be cool, but would the added server load be worth it?

Also how about the idea of different colors on the bars of the Site Supporter Image, Gold, Silver and Bronze for different levels of $$$'s contributed.

Sample of the bars below:

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    Yes! We are working on different levels! This way those Site Supporters who decide to contribute more than the minimum $10 donation can be recognized. We appreciate all donations. Every dollar helps. This will be just another way to show appreciation and say thanks!

support_banner05a.gif

Bronze

support_banner06a.gif

Silver

support_banner07a.gif

Gold

support_ninja01.gif

Ninja :@ya:

Magic 8 Ball says... you're getting warmer. ;)

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    The INGO email address would be cool, but would the added server load be worth it?

Easiest way would to just have it be a email forward to your normal email address. That would keep the load off the server, however having an actual mailbox would be sweet too.

Yes! We are working on different levels! This way those Site Supporters who decide to contribute more than the minimum $10 donation can be recognized. We appreciate all donations. Every dollar helps. This will be just another way to show appreciation and say thanks!

support_banner05a.gif

Bronze

support_banner06a.gif

Silver

support_banner07a.gif

Gold

support_ninja01.gif

Ninja :@ya:

Tell me how much for a ninja and I'll send it now....lol MUST HAVE NINJA!!!
    What about a Bacon level?!

slacker

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapols, IN
    Forwarding the email would just take more bandwidth, storing the email would take more disk space... its really a trade off

If you co-lo and can upgrade your server yourself, 1tb hard drives can be had for for < $90 now, grab a stack of those, toss them in a RAID-10 and host email to your heart's content.

slacker

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapols, IN
    One thing that another site I frequent did is move the off-topic/break room thread to a members-only area, and let it slip to NC-17 rating ;)

Not saying that this is a great idea, but it is fun to 'browse' sometimes.

Uralguy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    Kokomo
    I like the site just like it is. Although I think there is a problem with my Personal Message function. I don't seem to be getting any PM's from Hot Chicks. I might need to adjust my settings. Yeah that's it. Other than that I have enough Bacon. Thanks for a great place to learn and spout off.

nighthawk80

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Trafalger
    I'd like to see the site remain as free as possible and instead look for ways to add perks to the supporters. Things like free morale patches, extra PM space, specialty avatars, etc. I would hate to see any part of the site restricted from non-supporters.

I like this idea. The great part about belonging to this forum is that we can feel at home. You don't feel like you don't belong. Alot of other sites make you feel like you have to be a paying member to enjoy the site.
    Like many other members said, I contibuted to the site because I WANTED too, not because I felt like I HAD too. Thats what make this site cool.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    [tongue-in-cheek]
    I think the idea of a Site Supporter (Bacon Level) is a great idea. As Maker-of-the-Banners, I suggest this for the Site Supporter (Bacon Level) status banner:

support_banner_bacon01.gif

[/tongue-in-cheek]

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I like the idea of the colored stars...

And when they continue to support year after year that person gets Pami's "bacon bar" under their screen name with the number of years of support.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    Forwarding the email would just take more bandwidth, storing the email would take more disk space... its really a trade off

If you co-lo and can upgrade your server yourself, 1tb hard drives can be had for for < $90 now, grab a stack of those, toss them in a RAID-10 and host email to your heart's content.

Not really because with a forward you have nothing on the server bandwidth except messages being routed through. With hosted mailboxes you will have every supporter logging on, (repeatedly if they check email like i do), or connecting via pop/imap, adding to the server load.

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Not really because with a forward you have nothing on the server bandwidth except messages being routed through. With hosted mailboxes you will have every supporter logging on, (repeatedly if they check email like i do), or connecting via pop/imap, adding to the server load.

The best and cheapest way to offer emails is to use Google Apps. It's very simple and low cost. I have set this up for numerous clients.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I like the idea of the colored stars...

And when they continue to support year after year that person gets Pami's "bacon bar" under their screen name with the number of years of support.

So, a Supporter award with Bacon Clusters?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom