• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for starting this thread, wt, I have been working for days trying to figure out whether to buy a CZ, Savage or Ruger 22/10, and which model.
    Very helpful reading the input here.
    I want a decent scope and rifle and do not need to buy the best, but if I need to spend extra upfront so I won't be sorry later, I will.
    I've learned not to ask too many questions online here with posts too long, so I've been texting someone who has been very helpful in keeping me from going down many wrong roads (like with handguns), like buying a rifle with a scope with it to save money: buy them separately.
    And, don't worry about my fetish with barrel length: if getting a scope, it doesn't matter.
    I would like to buy a decent rifle with a decent scope used instead of new for obvious reasons.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    You're quite welcome doddg. I have been kicking around the idea of having a second rifle, which lead me to this thread as I'm woefully out of the know on rifles. Now I'm torn, because I really love the look of that Ruger American Rimfire Target that Ggreen posted a pic of, but I'm also attracted to a Savage B17, which is not as attractive, but inexpensive and is supposed to be very accurate. I don't like the idea of how expensive 17hmr is, but would love to try one out. As I said before, decisions, decisions... :):

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    You're quite welcome doddg. I have been kicking around the idea of having a second rifle, which lead me to this thread as I'm woefully out of the know on rifles. Now I'm torn, because I really love the look of that Ruger American Rimfire Target that Ggreen posted a pic of, but I'm also attracted to a Savage B17, which is not as attractive, but inexpensive and is supposed to be very accurate. I don't like the idea of how expensive 17hmr is, but would love to try one out. As I said before, decisions, decisions... :):

If you're going with the HMR, hold out for the new Tikka. I'm with H45 though. I wanna try one of those Steyr Zephyrs.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis

We had an American Target 17HMR with us that you could have played with last Saturday. Lol

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis

I can't wait to see which way you go. :popcorn:
    B/C of advice I've gotten, I'm going to go Ruger or Savage, and probably won't spend the money this round on a CZ unless the kind of deal I usually fall into presents itself.
    I have couple of rifles that are available to me right now, but it's always price and value, and since I'm out of my depth with rifles, I don't have an instinct of what price is so-so and what to pass on.
    There was a couple of rifles I would have bought days ago, but others warned me off, and I am grateful.
    I see some good rifles going for $200ish all the time, but have fought the urge to chase after since I didn't want to get into having to buy a scope, but here I am. :dunno:

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    If you're going with the HMR, hold out for the new Tikka. I'm with H45 though. I wanna try one of those Steyr Zephyrs.

Is that the T1x?

We had an American Target 17HMR with us that you could have played with last Saturday. Lol

I know, I regret not asking to shoot it :(
    B/C of advice I've gotten, I'm going to go Ruger or Savage, and probably won't spend the money this round on a CZ unless the kind of deal I usually fall into presents itself.
    I have couple of rifles that are available to me right now, but it's always price and value, and since I'm out of my depth with rifles, I don't have an instinct of what price is so-so and what to pass on.
    There was a couple of rifles I would have bought days ago, but others warned me off, and I am grateful.
    I see some good rifles going for $200ish all the time, but have fought the urge to chase after since I didn't want to get into having to buy a scope, but here I am. :dunno:

I'm not so sure I can hold out for a deal. I'm looking at the Ruger American Rimfire Target very seriously ATM.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast

:). You will start with a budget rifle and end up with a shadow 2 level rimfire rifle after wedding through 15 or so. Just bite the bullet and get yourself a Tacsol xring. Lol you know it's inevitable lol.

lexis2413

Mrs. Turbo
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I love my Ruger American in 17! Biggest seller for me was I love shooting .22 but I wanted something that was had a little more to it but was still fun to shoot lollipops with. It’s incredibly accurate even if you do have to watch the wind while you shoot outside, but I was able to get 3 lollipop at 100 yds on Saturday which is more than either of us could do with our .22s! Mine has a gorgeous stock on it which is a big selling point for me! The higher cost of ammo is off set by the fact that I don’t take it all the time which if it’s a second rifle that shouldn’t be a problem and I like to single feed when I shoot it so I don’t go through it as fast. Only complaint is if you’re used to .22s the 17 makes a pretty good crack when you shoot which is why I had the can on it all day Saturday

wingrider1800

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 27, 2014
    Harrison County
    Thinking a little more vintage, I'm a fan of the Remington 580 series (580, 581, 582). They are a an underappreciated gem that perform.
    You are spot on about tho olds Rems. I have more 22's than I can count on both hands and the Remington takes back seat to none of them. It's a real tack driver with just about any ammo I run thru it. That being said, I have savage 17hmr that is very accurate also and fun to shoot. I bought the savage on impulse not expecting it to be good for much but turns out I like the extra range and the little 17gr bullet doesn't ricochet.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    :). You will start with a budget rifle and end up with a shadow 2 level rimfire rifle after wedding through 15 or so. Just bite the bullet and get yourself a Tacsol xring. Lol you know it's inevitable lol.

Hi Ggreen! Since you were the one who started me on my CZ journey last summer, with me spending more on a gun than ever (what was that: $475?), you are certainly entitled to through stones. :laugh:
    I truly hope not b/c I just can't go that route with rifles.
    I'm literally going to have to sell one of my 9mms to pay for .22LR.
    If you feel sorry for me, just send money to my Pay Pal account, and thanks in advance! :rofl:

I have actually made my decision.
    I am buying a Ruger (I have more of them than any other gun b/c of value) from a member here.
    I looked at a fantastic Savage with a special stock the last 3 nights and various CZs.
    It comes with a decent Nikon scope.

Something safe and a good "starter" rifle for a handgun guy.

MODEL NUMBER: 1132 CALIBER: 22 LR
    StockBlack Laminate Mannlicher
    Front Sight Gold Bead
    Rear Sight Adjustable
    MaterialStainless Steel

Thread Pattern N/A
    Twist1:16" RH
    Capacity 10
    Finish Stainless Steel
    Weight 7.6 lb.

Overall Length37"
    Barrel Length18.50"
    Grooves6

Some online pics w/o Nikon scope attached:
    C2bOuY1.jpg

xFQFOmk.jpg
    RkazBbZ.jpg

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Take a look at the Tikka T1x. I just picked mine up first of last week so haven't shot it much but I'm getting sub .5" groups at 50 yds with CCI standard velocity. Excellent trigger out of the box, better than any CZ or Ruger American I've handled. Smooottthhhh action, almost ball bearing like. Lots of the accessories for the T3 fit, T3 stocks also work but have a gap at the front of the action. Only downside I've found is the mag sticks out of the stock and spares are kinda hard to find and a little on the pricey side. Mine in 22 lr was a little over $400.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Thanks for the responses everyone. I love the look and features of the Ruger American Rimfire Target, but the Tika is tempting as well. I've already decided that I'm going to buy another 22lr and pick up a 17hmr down the road. That way when I take someone to the range with my second rifle we can share (cheap) ammo. I'm cheap, so that works for me... :):

I love my Ruger American in 17! Biggest seller for me was I love shooting .22 but I wanted something that was had a little more to it but was still fun to shoot lollipops with. It’s incredibly accurate even if you do have to watch the wind while you shoot outside, but I was able to get 3 lollipop at 100 yds on Saturday which is more than either of us could do with our .22s! Mine has a gorgeous stock on it which is a big selling point for me! The higher cost of ammo is off set by the fact that I don’t take it all the time which if it’s a second rifle that shouldn’t be a problem and I like to single feed when I shoot it so I don’t go through it as fast. Only complaint is if you’re used to .22s the 17 makes a pretty good crack when you shoot which is why I had the can on it all day Saturday

I really want a 17hmr rifle, but I think I'm going to wait a bit. For one thing that'll get me a chance eventually to shoot yours and also to save up some more money. I'm still tempted by the Savage B17 as it seems to be a decently rated rifle for the price. Of course, I'm also tempted by the Ruger American and Tika models as well. At least this way I'll have longer to research models.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Take a look at the Tikka T1x. I just picked mine up first of last week so haven't shot it much but I'm getting sub .5" groups at 50 yds with CCI standard velocity. Excellent trigger out of the box, better than any CZ or Ruger American I've handled. Smooottthhhh action, almost ball bearing like. Lots of the accessories for the T3 fit, T3 stocks also work but have a gap at the front of the action. Only downside I've found is the mag sticks out of the stock and spares are kinda hard to find and a little on the pricey side. Mine in 22 lr was a little over $400.

That's the thing that has thrilled me most about the Anschutz I have. I've been getting great sub .5" groups at 50 yds with CCI SV as well. I haven't shot enough for that to be consistent, but I'm getting there. It also seems to like Federal GM Target ammo, which is less than the other more premium ammos. I need to spend a lot more time with it to see if it'll continue to do well with those two types of ammo. Heading to the range this morning as long as the weather cooperates.

Top Bottom