• ...and so much more!
  • wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Thanks again for everyone who posted info. I'll be getting the new rifle in probably next week and will try to take a pic or two to post, hopefully with a quick range trip photo showing whether I can make any good groups with it... :yesway:

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    CZ offers 25 rd mags for their .22LRs. I have one and it feeds perfectly in my 455 with everything I've tried (CCI, Win, Rem, Aguila, Fed). Not as cheap as a BX25, but I got it for ~ $30.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Well, my fascination with .22lr is the cost. Even if not going to crazy with match grade stuff it's under the cost of 9mm. Best is getting good accuracy out of inexpensive 6 cents a round ammo, which makes my miserly self extremely happy. I want 17hmr, but the cost of the ammo makes me rethink it... :):

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Well, my fascination with .22lr is the cost. Even if not going to crazy with match grade stuff it's under the cost of 9mm. Best is getting good accuracy out of inexpensive 6 cents a round ammo, which makes my miserly self extremely happy. I want 17hmr, but the cost of the ammo makes me rethink it... :):

I'm really enjoying your "journey" and watching with interest. :coffee:
    In the context of rifles, I await to see if this Ruger rifle I bought will lead to other rifle interests like you are experiencing.
    With me, it will be a matter of optics since I can barely see a 40' target, and a 50': nein.
    If a rifle gives me the "one-hole" everyone talks about, I might end up selling some handguns to make way for rifles instead. :laugh:
    I'm sure not getting "one-hole" with my handguns. :dunno:

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I'm really enjoying your "journey" and watching with interest. :coffee:
    In the context of rifles, I await to see if this Ruger rifle I bought will lead to other rifle interests like you are experiencing.
    With me, it will be a matter of optics since I can barely see a 40' target, and a 50': nein.
    If a rifle gives me the "one-hole" everyone talks about, I might end up selling some handguns to make way for rifles instead. :laugh:
    I'm sure not getting "one-hole" with my handguns. :dunno:

Rifles are much easier to achieve a one hole group with. A good rifle, optic and rest are needed. Then knowing how to sight in and squeeze the trigger, while watching your breathing. Done right you can make some very nice groups. Did you see my post in the rimfire madness thread?

This was from yesterday morning. There were several of us switching on and off shooting my Annie. Mostly sighting in on the targets and then busting lollipops.

wrRstIjl.jpg

Best group I had, just over a quarter inch:

evaf59Dl.jpg

MecPqDSl.jpg

wccCVpIl.jpg

The rest of my groups were in the 1/2 to 3/4 inch range, but I was able to bust a lot of lollipops... :rockwoot:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Rifles are much easier to achieve a one hole group with. A good rifle, optic and rest are needed. Then knowing how to sight in and squeeze the trigger, while watching your breathing. Done right you can make some very nice groups. Did you see my post in the rimfire madness thread?

This was from yesterday morning. There were several of us switching on and off shooting my Annie. Mostly sighting in on the targets and then busting lollipops.

wrRstIjl.jpg

Best group I had, just over a quarter inch:

evaf59Dl.jpg

MecPqDSl.jpg

wccCVpIl.jpg

The rest of my groups were in the 1/2 to 3/4 inch range, but I was able to bust a lot of lollipops... :rockwoot:

No, I don't think I caught that rimfire discussion, so I went back and looked.
    You didn't mention how many yards you were shooting from: 50?

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    No, I don't think I caught that rimfire discussion, so I went back and looked.
    You didn't mention how many yards you were shooting from: 50?

Yep, 50 yards. I bought my rifle about 18 months ago, but have only had about 6 range trips with it. Up until very recently I was only shooting it at 25 yards. patience got me hooked by having me try his other Anchutz rifle a couple of years ago and started my journey as a lollipop killer in training... :):

I'm now shooting mostly at 50 yards and can pop lollipops pretty regularly at that distance and do the occasional nice group like the above. I'm now working on consistency. I can shoot the rifle at 100 yards, but the magnification on my scope isn't good enough for me to do well at that distance. I'll eventually buy better glass and see if I can do MOA at 100 yards.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson

If you are patient and wait for sales you can find .17 hmr for about the price of decent 9mm ammo. Midsouth Shooters Supply frequently has sales on it.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    If you are patient and wait for sales you can find .17 hmr for about the price of decent 9mm ammo. Midsouth Shooters Supply frequently has sales on it.

Thanks for the information. I hope to push off a decision for a year or so. I need more practice with my .22 bolt action rifles before I even think about picking up another caliber.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Well, I'm learning a valuable lesson right now. I ended up ordering the new rifle from a place I'd never ordered from before. I used GunWatcher to find it in stock somewhere for the lowest price and bought from this new place instead of GrabaGun where I normally get my guns, to save ~$20. From previous experience, I can say that had I bought it from GrabaGun, I would have received the gun last Saturday (I ordered it last Wednesday). Instead, I had to email the site I ordered it from yesterday to get a status update, and found out they were shipping it yesterday and provided me a tracking number. The tracking number shows it'll arrive next Monday... :ugh:

One of the big reasons I bought the second gun was to have it when my stepson visits and he'll be here Saturday. I had hoped to take him to the range on Sunday, but the gun won't be here yet. So learn from my mistake and don't be a cheapskate... ;)

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Bummer. I've had wildly different experiences with online companies and shipping. Four Winds Technology was the absolute worst I have dealt with. It took two months to get a gun I ordered from them last year.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Yep, 50 yards. I bought my rifle about 18 months ago, but have only had about 6 range trips with it. Up until very recently I was only shooting it at 25 yards. patience got me hooked by having me try his other Anchutz rifle a couple of years ago and started my journey as a lollipop killer in training... :):

I'm now shooting mostly at 50 yards and can pop lollipops pretty regularly at that distance and do the occasional nice group like the above. I'm now working on consistency. I can shoot the rifle at 100 yards, but the magnification on my scope isn't good enough for me to do well at that distance. I'll eventually buy better glass and see if I can do MOA at 100 yards.

Love the details, WTB.
    Keep them coming.
    By listening to advice when I was seeking a 22 rifle it kept me from buying two or three guns that I would’ve outgrown too soon.
    I already have another 22 rifle in mind, but I am trying to behave myself.
    Really enjoyed your story about trying to save $20 by ordering from a new place, but regret it since it won’t be available to shoot with your grandson.
    That sounds like something I would do as a fellow cheapskate!

Last edited:

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Love the details, WTB.
    Keep them coming.
    By listening to advice when I was seeking a 22 rifle it kept me from buying two or three guns that I would’ve outgrown too soon.
    I already have my own another 22 rifle, but I am trying to behave myself.
    Really enjoyed your story about trying to save $20 by ordering from a new place, but regret it since it won’t be available to shoot with your grandson.
    That sounds like something I would do as a fellow cheapskate!

Yeah, there are times when spending an extra $20 is well worth it. Thankfully Turbo saved me for the weekend... :yesway:

Top Bottom