• ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    My response to Mr. Coons (schaffer@rose-hulman.edu):

"There's no possible way law enforcement or anyone else can respond faster than those attacked if those attacked are armed. I disagree with Rose Hulman's policy for a disarmed faculty and disarmed student body even though those adults are capable and licensed to do so. Regardless of the plan, if Chris Mercer had decided to step onto the Rose campus, with the current disarming policies in place, the result would have been about the same. Unless you are planning to embed armed security, or allow licensed carriers to carry on campus, running away or hiding until LEO arrives won't save anyone."

Well played, sir. I hope it doesn't result in problems for your kid. I hold no hope of you receiving any kind of positive response. You'll either get ignored, a form letter, or a heapin' helpin' o' politically correct/newspeak crap.

I never was as impressed with Rose-Hulman as they seem to be with themselves. I didn't go there, but I back my opinion with that of TWO graduates who are now PG's in the "Real World". Despite being very well educated, they both found that RH's claims to notoriety do not, in fact, hold any more water than anybody else's when sitting in front of an interview board composed of Engineers of the highest level.

You base this on a whopping sample size of 2? Heh heh heh. How droll.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Fair enough. I guess I should be more clear that I know a lot of other graduates that found much the same, but only the two that expressed so detailed accounts, and at such high levels in their fields. The problem is much the same elsewhere...they sell it to the hilt that Human Resources types will be crawling up your drawers when you graduate with XYZ Diploma. Then these kids get out to find that not only do their degrees NOT necessarily equate to a job, but that the student debt that most often follows a degree from that type of school is not accompanied by any more ease of employment than those that went to the State school.

Been there, done that. Got the pricey diploma.

-Nate

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Rose had a 90% placement rate for graduates in 2014 (latest data) with an average starting salary of $67,957. That rises to 99% within 6 months of graduation. High salary was $106K (mechanical engineer) and low was $33,250 (Chemistry).
    https://www.rose-hulman.edu/media/1673136/rose-hulman-careerservicesbrochure-digital-2015.pdf

Not too shabby, especially in today's market.

By comparison, Purdue University has a placement rate closer to 70%, and an average starting salary of just over $50K. Looking at JUST Engineers (to be more on par with Rose), would be about 74% placement and just over $60K salary.
    https://www.cco.purdue.edu/data/#purdue

Granted, Rose COSTS a good deal more ($23K per year @ Purdue vs. closer to $60K @ Rose). I guess folks need to make their own value judgement.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Rose had a 90% placement rate for graduates in 2014 (latest data) with an average starting salary of $67,957. That rises to 99% within 6 months of graduation. High salary was $106K (mechanical engineer) and low was $33,250 (Chemistry).
    https://www.rose-hulman.edu/media/1673136/rose-hulman-careerservicesbrochure-digital-2015.pdf

Not too shabby, especially in today's market.

I hate those kids. Especially Mr. or Ms. $106K plus signing bonus.

I wonder what the numbers would be they sifted-out all of the non-engineering majors at RHIT. Median might not change much (which is the average quoted above), but the mean might change significantly.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN

pa_KEHtTFHncBpjANeIdTVdo2AROaEE1SvPw-vefe0nvkSIKeEFTKGbr7PFeZMC6lItp9nXEWWOwPEVPaYZV_bWbzuATEibuBTndchxJLA=s0-d-e1-ft

Dear Parents:

.... Please stay clear of the drill area and do not interfere with their activity....

Because drills should always go exactly as planned with no unexpected interference, just like real life disasters.

Maybe Mr. Coons can volunteer to be the bad guy and they can conduct a live fire drill.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Because drills should always go exactly as planned with no unexpected interference, just like real life disasters.

Maybe Mr. Coons can volunteer to be the bad guy and they can conduct a live fire drill.

I like the way you think...prolly not gonna happen.

For the record, my kid is a senior, has participated in three internships equating to between a year and a year and a half experience, already has three offers on the table with the top offer at $74K (plus OT for time over 40hrs) and his GPA is in the top half at 3.0. He is already negotiating for higher salary with the offers on the table and is conducting more interviews (most recently with Harley Davidson in Milwaukee). I know several Rose grads here at Crane, all started right out of school and were at least GS-9 entry with ladder to GS-12 (now on the ND-04 scale). Not too shabby indeed.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Well played, sir. I hope it doesn't result in problems for your kid. I hold no hope of you receiving any kind of positive response. You'll either get ignored, a form letter, or a heapin' helpin' o' politically correct/newspeak crap.

So far no response. Color me surprised. My kid's a senior and, as I mentioned, he already has plenty of written offers and is negotiating for more. He will graduate on time. I'm sure Mr. Coons will just let him be, graduate, settle in to a nice job with a nice salary...OH, and take his tuition checks as usual I'm sure.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I hate those kids. Especially Mr. or Ms. $106K plus signing bonus.

I wonder what the numbers would be they sifted-out all of the non-engineering majors at RHIT. Median might not change much (which is the average quoted above), but the mean might change significantly.
    Just for giggles, I looked up MIT's placement rate.
    MIT Office of the Provost, Institutional Research
    Seems to be in the low 80's. No salary information provided.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    For the record, my kid is a senior, has participated in three internships equating to between a year and a year and a half experience, already has three offers on the table with the top offer at $74K (plus OT for time over 40hrs) and his GPA is in the top half at 3.0. He is already negotiating for higher salary with the offers on the table and is conducting more interviews (most recently with Harley Davidson in Milwaukee). I know several Rose grads here at Crane, all started right out of school and were at least GS-9 entry with ladder to GS-12 (now on the ND-04 scale). Not too shabby indeed.

Overtime pay for a salaried position?? I hate him.

I graduated with a 3.6+ GPA in 1987, which put me at #2 among all of the mechanical engineering graduates in my class. I had an NSF Graduate Fellowship to take with me to grad school. Then my personal wheels fell off of the cart when I failed to finish my PhD, followed by an injury that kept me in bed for close to 10 years and essentially ended any reasonable possibility of employment as an engineer.

Before that downturn happened, though, the RHIT brand helped me quite a bit. I know it played a role in my NSF Fellowship. The two combined got me letters from some big name graduate school accepting me as a PhD candidate and offering me additional fellowships in addition to the standard assistantship that all engineering grad students get. I was accepted and offered $$$ without even applying for admission in some cases.

Things have changed. My current job sucks less than any job I've had (I've only been working since 2007), but it's unlikely I'll break the current median starting salary for recent graduates unless something unusual happens. So that is the impetus of my jokes about hating them. I'm definitely the exception rather than the rule.

So far no response. Color me surprised. My kid's a senior and, as I mentioned, he already has plenty of written offers and is negotiating for more. He will graduate on time. I'm sure Mr. Coons will just let him be, graduate, settle in to a nice job with a nice salary...OH, and take his tuition checks as usual I'm sure.

Probably so.

Just for giggles, I looked up MIT's placement rate.
    MIT Office of the Provost, Institutional Research
    Seems to be in the low 80's. No salary information provided.

That probably includes all of their English and sociology majors, though.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    That probably includes all of their English and sociology majors, though.
    Oh, they got placed all right. Ran into one the other day.
    Yes, I would like fries with that, thanks. :D
    Unfortunately, I think he is getting replaced by a computer designed by one of his classmates. :laugh:

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    My daughter is a math major (actuary) and computer science minor at RH. With her scholarships, she would have gotten paid to go to IU and broke even to go to Purdue or Evansville, but she LOVES RH. It was there she received the first B in her life and then a C, and she has had to work her butt off to keep a 3.0 cumulative! She thrives on the competition and enjoys being around the technical minds. I'm not sure if the RH name will benefit her as much as the engineers, but as long as she has a good experience, I'm sure everything will fall into place.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Rhino I had no idea of your difficulties brother. I'm so sorry such bad luck came your way, and so happy you've prevailed and kept trucking. Hard times are temporary, tough people keep going. You sir are my hero.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Rhino I had no idea of your difficulties brother. I'm so sorry such bad luck came your way, and so happy you've prevailed and kept trucking. Hard times are temporary, tough people keep going. You sir are my hero.

Well, thanks! I'm doing my best to turn things around. I'm not there yet, but my current situation is better than it's been since I was still in grad school in pretty much every way.

I do enjoy joking about the Alumni magazine, though. I refer to it as my quarterly failure reminder. Heh!

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    Because they do not offer bull sheet Piled higher and Deeper RH does not tend to show up on mainstream rankings with the likes of MIT and Purdue. But if you look at private schools not offering PhDs they are in fact ranked #1. I rather imagine it is safe to say it would be a top 25 school if there was an over all ranking somewhere.

Top Bottom