• churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This should be a lesson to us all. :soapbox:

What other panics could crop up in the future?

Wouldn't it be nice to NOT have to go out to swim in the petri dish to scrounge for scraps, because you had to?

Singing to the choir my friend.
    I did get my neighbor to the south stocking up. He and I were talking about this on one of his job sites and his concern was for his kids. I told him my concern was for his kids. Screw him. He laughed. Then went and put in a crap load of water.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Sams used used to offer a one day pass. Maybe call ahead and see if they still do that.

With the amount of dog food we buy, the yearly membership pays for itself the first month. At Sams we pay $20 for a 57 lbs bag. For the exact same kind at Walmart/Meijer, its $24 - $26 for a 50 lbs bag depending on the location. We go through 10 -12 bags a month between our GSD, two Great Danes, Boxer, and pitbull.

That is a good idea about the one day pass. Will help to get the wife more on board.

Once the panic stops that is. I hate standing in lines.

Side note... that's a lot of canines you have going there. Too bad they are all lap dog sized... ha ha.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    That is a good idea about the one day pass. Will help to get the wife more on board.

Once the panic stops that is. I hate standing in lines.

Side note... that's a lot of canines you have going there. Too bad they are all lap dog sized... ha ha.

You can checkout on your phone with the Sam's Club app. It's pretty awesome.

Probably not available on a one-day pass, but it's a great feature.

OmarR

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2012
    Westfield
    Costco was out of TP by 11AM this morning, and no Clorox Wipes to be found. Plenty of everything else.

Comment from floor manager at checkout: they just weren't prepared for the rush on TP and cleaning supplies. Had a LOT on hand, but it sold, and more is already on the truck on its way.

Not that big of a deal for us today. We were just continuing to buy ahead. Still, that place was crazy busy. Folks buying whole carts of bottled water.

Got more trucks in on Sunday 03-08 of the Charmin TP and Bounty paper towels. If you prefer the Kirkland TP, it won't be in until Wed 03-11. Still out of the Clorox wipes. Limits on TP and water are 2 per member currently.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    One last Sams trip. Place is a mad house.

Wanted extra pasta and misc items. Interesting to see what is and is not going out the door.

Almost feel the panic in the air. Or is it my dislike of crowds??

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    One last Sams trip. Place is a mad house.

Wanted extra pasta and misc items. Interesting to see what is and is not going out the door.

Almost feel the panic in the air. Or is it my dislike of crowds??

Both. People were told to prep. They were told TP was the main issue. They will all be a bit dismayed when the TP will not fry up when the food runs out. Hilarious.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Spouse and daughter went to Meijer yesterday. It was picked over pretty well but they got most everything on the list. We are good. Let the sheeple fight over the TP.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I was ahead of the curve on the TP hoarding. Ordered TP and kleenex from Amazon. We normally have quite a bit of pasta, rice, beans, and oatmeal in the pantry and plenty of meat and veggies in the freezer, but I topped everything off today. Also picked up bread, butter, peanut butter, cheese, canned tomatoes, coffee creamer, paper towel, bleach. Got flour, sugar, and yeast in case I need to make more bread. The only area we will be hurting for is milk.

Question... when I was a kid, we always used to freeze milk. Thawed it, shook it up, and it was fine. Seems like the last couple times I tried to freeze it, it separated and would not mix back together. Anyone else have experience freezing milk lately?

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    This

yzgKuUn.jpg
    We have not had a Sam's membership for years, but I have occasionally had a friend pick up this TP. Seems like the rolls used to be much larger and the paper much plusher than it is now. True?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We have not had a Sam's membership for years, but I have occasionally had a friend pick up this TP. Seems like the rolls used to be much larger and the paper much plusher than it is now. True?

Nope. CKW's back side is pretty sensitive and she prefers this. 275 sheets per roll...….I have no idea if that's changed.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I was ahead of the curve on the TP hoarding. Ordered TP and kleenex from Amazon. We normally have quite a bit of pasta, rice, beans, and oatmeal in the pantry and plenty of meat and veggies in the freezer, but I topped everything off today. Also picked up bread, butter, peanut butter, cheese, canned tomatoes, coffee creamer, paper towel, bleach. Got flour, sugar, and yeast in case I need to make more bread. The only area we will be hurting for is milk.

Question... when I was a kid, we always used to freeze milk. Thawed it, shook it up, and it was fine. Seems like the last couple times I tried to freeze it, it separated and would not mix back together. Anyone else have experience freezing milk lately?

Milk used to be more milk. Now it is like unleaded gas. It aint as real as it used to be.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Nope. CKW's back side is pretty sensitive and she prefers this. 275 sheets per roll...….I have no idea if that's changed.
    OK, so the plush factor does not appear to have changed. I know the size has because we have the same TP roll holders we always had (similar to the one below), and the MM rolls did not come close to fitting in them. Now they slide in with room to spare.

images

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009

The gardener is running that experiment today, will let you know how it sorts out, but it may be brand specific. She's particular about milk, me, less so.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    OK, so the plush factor does not appear to have changed. I know the size has because we have the same TP roll holders we always had (similar to the one below), and the MM rolls did not come close to fitting in them. Now they slide in with room to spare.

images

Well there you go. Heck SD-II by the time I get to use a roll around here with all the estrogen in this place there is only 3 sheets on it anyway.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I only skimmed here, and I get it that this isn't the point of this thread, but Costco was a very early adopter of banning firearms in their stores, despite very clearly catering to our community by selling firearms related and prepping products, but did so very quietly on their web page alone. They only posted it in markets where they knew they would win, then swept it under the rug when they wanted to.

I looked into this when they first came for Fort Wayne a few years ago and found the entire recipe of that BS to be so objectionable that I've never set foot in one and never will. It's Sam's for me, despite them and pretty much everyone else having the same policies now, they didn't do it in hiding while pretending to be my buddy. I can't even count how many big time YouTube 2A guys made videos about stuff they got at Costco without even knowing and it just boiled my blood to no end... So now I'm whining to you guys about it too. So... Take that for whatever it may be worth.

---

As far as the question being asked of Sam's specifically, I've been a member for ages and the past several years I've stepped up to the Plus membership to get the free shipping and I use it almost weekly. When all of this virus panic started out I surveyed my supplies and got my TP and paper towels drop shipped from Sam's at a good price, free shipping, and cashback rewarded. Last year they actually paid me to take the membership via the rewards program. I only actually go to the store about twice a year, but I get dry goods and merchandise in the mail at least monthly.

If my above ranting hasn't swayed anyone one way or the other, I'd probably factor in any big ticket items you'd like to purchase into your decision. I've bought quite a few bigger ticket things that Sam's carries at a substantial discount, but competing box/club stores don't. Stuff like steel racking, cabinets, totes, gel cell batteries, tires, etc, etc.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

THis puts me in mind of the family farm. Seems like a hundred years ago but yes they had milk cows. Not a lot of them but that was a hand done chore when we would go and stay to work on the place. Hand churned butter. Man what a treat.
    Pull the cream off the top of a bucket that was milked a few hours earlier an just set to settle. Nobody died.

Farm was sold off in the mid 70's. A life style gone from us these days.

Top Bottom