• ...and so much more!
  • Amattern

Expert
    Rating - 97.1%
    66   2   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Terre Haute, IN
    He said:

No one under 18 can buy a handgun in a private sale.

He was also correct about this. You must be 18 or older to purchase in a private sale, 21 or older from a dealer.

Q: May a parent or guardian purchase firearms or ammunition as a gift for a juvenile (less than 18 years of age)?
    Yes. However, possession of handguns by juveniles (less than 18 years of age) is generally unlawful. Juveniles generally may only receive and possess handguns with the written permission of a parent or guardian for limited purposes, e.g., employment, ranching, farming, target practice or hunting.

[18 U.S.C. 922(x)]

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    OC in the west Lafayette wal-mart and expect looks like no other. even had cops called one day. LOVE IT. all the purdue kids staring as i carry out 30 pounds worth of ammo.

Captain Bligh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I once bought a blender from WalMart and the cashier didn't even know how to cook! How dare they hire such misinformed workers? :xmad:

Rollerman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 1, 2012
    Goshen
    I know I come across pro Wal Mart...& I am, but something to consider.

A sales associate may have more than one department to cover.
    If you see another associate with a walkie, by all means flag them down & ask (politely) if you can get some help at the gun/ammo case...it may not be that associate's department so they will probably contact someone to come help you & that person may already be busy with another customer...so be patient.

My wife sometimes handles the gun/ammo case when sporting goods associates are not available.
    And she knows NOTHING about guns or ammo other than there are black guns, wood guns, camo guns & a pink one.

I guess what I'm trying to get across...you can save some money buying ammo or firearms at WM, but it doesn't mean the person behind the counter knows a thing about them.

I don't recall my friend who works in sporting goods ever asking for my ID with an ammo purchase, but the other day a "newb" did.
    Best to know which sporting goods associate at your WM knows something about the guns & ammo you our interested in & try to make it to the store when they are working.

If your in a hurry, want info on the ammo or gun your looking at or for...your better off going to your local gunshop.
    But if you need chips, milk, dogfood, socks, oil change & have the time to wait on an associate to help you Wal Mart isn't a bad place.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    I know I come across pro Wal Mart...& I am, but something to consider.

A sales associate may have more than one department to cover.
    If you see another associate with a walkie, by all means flag them down & ask (politely) if you can get some help at the gun/ammo case...it may not be that associate's department so they will probably contact someone to come help you & that person may already be busy with another customer...so be patient.

My wife sometimes handles the gun/ammo case when sporting goods associates are not available.
    And she knows NOTHING about guns or ammo other than there are black guns, wood guns, camo guns & a pink one.

I guess what I'm trying to get across...you can save some money buying ammo or firearms at WM, but it doesn't mean the person behind the counter knows a thing about them.

I don't recall my friend who works in sporting goods ever asking for my ID with an ammo purchase, but the other day a "newb" did.
    Best to know which sporting goods associate at your WM knows something about the guns & ammo you our interested in & try to make it to the store when they are working.

If your in a hurry, want info on the ammo or gun your looking at or for...your better off going to your local gunshop.
    But if you need chips, milk, dogfood, socks, oil change & have the time to wait on an associate to help you Wal Mart isn't a bad place.

I shouldn't have to go hunt someone down. And when I have it's usually a useless trip. There isn't anyone to find, unless you walk all the way backup to the service desk. Which I've done once or twice. They have called for someone to assit me and 3 or 4 others waiting in SG. And no one shows up. It shouldn't take an hour to walk in to Wal-mart, attempt to purchase ammo and then leave. Worst customer service on the planet. Yet they (corporate) can't understand why they are loosing market share rapidly.

I left the store many times with no ammo because.
    1-Couldn't find help anywhere at 3pm in the afternoon.
    2-Found help, but no one knew where the key was.
    3-Found someone to call for help, no one arrived after 15 minutes.

Bondhead88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2010
    Currently In Toronto
    I went back and spoke to the store manager and explained that they needed to teach their staff not to teach their opinions as law.
    One example I gave was a 19 year old coming into the store and being informed by a store associate that under no circumstance either through dealer sale or private sale could they buy a handgun or handgun ammunition, then at some point that 19 is in a situation where they needed it and didn't have it. I suggested that the store and employees could be held liable for injuries received that could have been prevented by being able to defend himself.

As we talked I agreed with them that the store could put procedures in place like asking for ID if they like. While I may not like policies like that, I do agree it is a private business' right to operate under those conditions, just don't tell people it is a government requirement.

While I was talking the woman manager said 'The reason we ask for ID is because Chicago is right there and we need to see their FOID card or we cannot sell them ammo."

I told her no you do not. There is no requirement to see someones ID from Illinois. Cabelas and Walmart do this to avoid having their Illinois stores harassed but the state of Illinois. Last time I checked Illinois however did not make laws for Indiana and we still have some semblance of state sovereignty.

The head manager suggested having me come in and train their people to which I politely declined. I am not a legal entity but I did suggest having training through an accredited group. So this may be an opportunity for some of you folks who do training in this type of area to gain some business.

By the way i did share with him the comments of how people thought his Walmart was dumber than other Walmarts in the area. He winced at that. But I suggested to him that translated into a loss of sales and that maybe he could turn that perception around and gain additional sales from it.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I went back and spoke to the store manager and explained that they needed to teach their staff not to teach their opinions as law.
    One example I gave was a 19 year old coming into the store and being informed by a store associate that under no circumstance either through dealer sale or private sale could they buy a handgun or handgun ammunition, then at some point that 19 is in a situation where they needed it and didn't have it. I suggested that the store and employees could be held liable for injuries received that could have been prevented by being able to defend himself.

As we talked I agreed with them that the store could put procedures in place like asking for ID if they like. While I may not like policies like that, I do agree it is a private business' right to operate under those conditions, just don't tell people it is a government requirement.

While I was talking the woman manager said 'The reason we ask for ID is because Chicago is right there and we need to see their FOID card or we cannot sell them ammo."

I told her no you do not. There is no requirement to see someones ID from Illinois. Cabelas and Walmart do this to avoid having their Illinois stores harassed but the state of Illinois. Last time I checked Illinois however did not make laws for Indiana and we still have some semblance of state sovereignty.

The head manager suggested having me come in and train their people to which I politely declined. I am not a legal entity but I did suggest having training through an accredited group. So this may be an opportunity for some of you folks who do training in this type of area to gain some business.

By the way i did share with him the comments of how people thought his Walmart was dumber than other Walmarts in the area. He winced at that. But I suggested to him that translated into a loss of sales and that maybe he could turn that perception around and gain additional sales from it.

Wow! That sounds like a very productive visit....way to go:yesway:

Bondhead88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2010
    Currently In Toronto
    Also correct about the "no one under 18 may buy a handgun in a private sale."
    I don't know what happened to an earlier post I put in this thread. I corrected what I somehow misspoke in this thread. We were talking about people 18 and over but under 21.

So, no he was incorrect in all his statements.

I don't know what happened to the clarification post I had but here it is again just so you don't miss it.

And there is no requirement for ID

Colinb913

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Newburgh
    I am perfectly fine with Wal-Mart employess, with one exception..

When I buy .22 ammo, it never fails, they say "I can't sell you this. You have to be 21." I just shake my head, and tell them "No, you can sell it, it's for my rifles." Then they apologize, and go ahead with the sale. It's just annoying.

They should ask (as the computer prompts them to) "Is this for a handgun." To which I would reply "No." But, they always jump the gun, (no pun) and tell me they can't sell it to me. It just gets old.

Especially when theres the old guy, who automatically knows more than me, and simply refuses to sell it to me, so I have to go find a manager to do it. I don't know how he still has his job..

bconn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2012
    Indianapolis, In
    people are like the internet

I find that sales clerks everywhere are like the internet check out what is being said or read before you believe it. Freedom of speech does not make it correct! BUT thank God we have freedom of speech. However I'm getting worried it is going away bit by bit.

Top Bottom