• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    My wife and I, along with my son (JCA1776) and his wife, and my unmarried son (Mk2ja) stopped at KFC in Auburn, IN off I-69, last night about 18:30. Mk2ja was OCing, JCA1776 and I were CCing. Our wives ordered first, then the guys; I joked with the cashier, who appeared to be a high-school age girl, and paid the bill. We served ourselves from the buffet and sat down at a corner table. I hung my coat on my chair before I sat down, revealing my weapon.

Shortly after saying grace, a young man walked up to me and said (verbatim as best as I can recall):

"Do you always carry guns into a family restaurant? You scared the crap out of my kids! Thanks a lot!"

He then turned and walked quickly away. Mk2ja called to him, "Have a good evening," but the rest of us made no reply. I had a mouthful of chicken, but I had no opportunity to reply anyway. The guy left too quickly.

At no point were were rowdy, noisy or threatening in any way. We just ordered, talked amongst ourselves, joked with the staff and picked up our food.

First of all, KFC made no indication of concern or displeasure about our weapons. The staff just took our order, gave us our cups for the drinks and went about their own business.

Second, I never saw the children. I vaguely remember seeing the man seated near the drinks bar on the other side of the shop from where we sat. I have no idea of how our weapons affected them.

From one perspective, the fault lies with the father. All he had to do was explain to his children that weapons are nothing to fear. They are useful tools for self-protection that must be handled wisely and properly; but in the hands of law-abiding and peaceful citizens, they ensure our liberty and safety.

From another perspective, OC frightens children and those unused to seeing weapons in public. Therefore, OC should not be practiced in family situations.

This leads to some questions as part of an AAR:
    1. Should responsible citizens opt for CC to avoid frightening the children?
    2. Does the father have a valid complaint?
    3. Should we have followed the father into the parking lot and opened a can of "whup a**" on him? (OK, just kidding! It was a joke!)

What do you think?

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    1. No, A responsible citizen should carry in any way he/she chooses, regardless of what others think

2. Absolutely Not

3. Probably tempting but no

You could have replied "Do you always interrupt family dinners in a family restaurant? You annoyed the crap out of my family, go to hell!

Glock18FA

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Its too bad that some parents are too ignorant to take the time to educate their kids when the situation arises.

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    Just some jerk trying to ruin someones day IMO. Reminds me of when I went to a restaraunt with my gf and the sign said to seat yourself and the waiter will be right with you. So it was pretty busy and we go to sit down and get situated. Then some douchebag lady comes up and says,"you know thats rude that you just sat yourself it was those peoples turn to sit down" as she pointed to a couple standing at the front. I hate stupid people....

I know I know "cool story bro" lol

thread carry on.

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    I think you guys handled it fine.

Wife and I had a SIMILAR situation in Pizza Hut once, but it was adults who were talking about us OCing, but only when we were at the buffet and they thought we couldn't hear.

1. No. I'm tired of "it's for the children" as an excuse. If the kids were scared, then the it's the parents fault for not understanding and explaining it to children.

2. No.

3. Funny, but no. Would do more harm than good.

I'm assuming by his actions that he was having a bad holiday and wanted to take it out on someone else. :dunno: But just like I don't tell smokers that they are rude for smoking for doing something that they are legally allowed to do (but that I don't like) people shouldn't tell me I can't do something that I am legally allowed to do that they don't like.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    It was a long time ago that I gave up caring what "random people" think. It seems that people love to pass out insults, etc. to strangers. I don't know when or how this became an acceptable behavior... but that's the USA we live in.

That your kids have an irrational fear is none of my concern. But it really is something that you probably should address with them, not with me.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I'd have to question the intelligence of someone who tries to escalate verbally with someone carrying a weapon with his children present, and not take his opinion for much.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Seeing another man with a weapon makes the first man feel wholly inadequate if he is unarmed. This feeling of inadequacy manifests itself as fear. Fear quickly becomes anger.

It makes sense that he expressed his insecurity verbally.

I would CC just to avoid situations like that. I hate having to interact with what passes as the general population these days.

I suggest wearing a "Dancing with the Stars" t-shirt next time to distract them with something they can easily relate to and feel comfortable around.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Rule #83: If there is a holster, the guy is probably not a bad guy. If the holster is expensive, just ignore it, especially if it is a serpa. Leather is different, it has to be complimented!

grimor

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    Elkhart
    Only time i think I scared someone carrying (that I noticed) was a couple days ago at Hacienda. I typically CC IWB but I took my jacket off to eat and didn't put it back on when I left because it was a nice day. As I was walking out there was a couple waiting to be seated. The girl looked like she was going to pee herself as I walked past her and was clenching the arm of the guy she was with.

I guess she figured that someone would come in, eat, pay and then just shoot random people on the way out...

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    May just be me, but I see many posts that convey an attitude of "in your face" toward those who are not familiar with guns and/or not used to seeing people carrying them. I agree, the father in this incident could have handled it better. This may be the very first experience this family has had with non-LEO open carrying. IMO, those who open carry need to be a little sensitive to the fact that it is what many would consider "unusual" behavior. (Not wrong, just outside the ordinary.) :twocents:

Granted, if we all open carried, people would be more accustomed to seeing guns and such incidents would not likely not occur.

Glock18FA

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    May just be me, but I see many posts that convey an attitude of "in your face" toward those who are not familiar with guns and/or not used to seeing people carrying them. I agree, the father in this incident could have handled it better. This may be the very first experience this family has had with non-LEO open carrying. IMO, those who open carry need to be a little sensitive to the fact that it is what many would consider "unusual" behavior. (Not wrong, just outside the ordinary.) :twocents:

Granted, if we all open carried, people would be more accustomed to seeing guns and such incidents would not likely not occur.

The in your face approach seemed to of worked for the Gays in the 80's.

We have them beat simply by numbers. gays...8%...Gun owners....30% of population plus we multiply better.:D

Top Bottom