• dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Lesson FAIL.

Yes, kids, guns are scary

...but it's perfectly acceptable and safe to go out of your way to chastise and irritate anyone you see with one.

Now watch how daddy does it... :n00b:

Agreed. I will try to OC more. ;)

You've made the definitive point.

Would he have gone up to a couple of thug looking guys who were acting scary because they scared his kids?

He knew he was safe to criticize, which blows his whole sad little drive by criticism out of the water.

randyb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    For what its worth, I choose to carry concealed, open carry for me just isn't an option. That being said, its your right and i would not fault one for doing so. The dude obviously has issues with gun ownership. He was the one afraid and blamed it on the children, the kids were prob. going something like "Whoa! Dad that dude has a gun, How come you don't have one....."

Andy219

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Cedar Lake, IN
    When he said you scared his kids, he may have ment to thank you. They were probably being brats, seen your guns and were scared to continue to misbehave. In retrospect when he said thanks for scaring my kids should have been countered with a "your welcome."

Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    Not uncommon to be challenged on 2A rights.

It is rare but happens too often for a respectable law abiding citizen to be chastised for exercising his right to carry. The father approached you because he obviously knew you were no threat to either him or his family. People simply like to tell others what they don't like about them to make themselves feel right. I would bet the price of your meal that if you and your party were wearing "Hell's Angels" jackets or actually looked like you were a threat to anyone. Sheeple are scared but they are not normally stupid, just uneducated and way too full of themselves.

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    Come on, you really don't think this is a good analogy, do you? And for the record, I'd be the same amount of pissed if it was a straight couple. They aren't walking around the restaurant with their hips in the air flaunting the pistols, are they? There's a big difference between being tactful in a social situation, and flaunting something around so that it's forced on everyone.
    I was only responding to the gay analogy. I did not initiate it. Can't tell me you've never seen a husband and wife respectfully kiss each other in public.

As far as I'm concerned OP did nothing wrong. Actually I'm sorry he and his family went through this situation. Like I posted earlier, dad could have handled this better. Point is, we need to be sensitive to some people being uncomfortable around firearms.

Andy219

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Cedar Lake, IN
    I skipped school the day they taught sensitivity training. I'm so tired of "we have to be politically correct. Why should we be sensitive towards people who could care less about you. If OCing scares people so be it, it's a right, what good is having a right if can't use it, because what if it scares someone.

Reverse the situation, how about the OP and all the OCers start walking up to anyone who is not carrying and belittle them for that choice. Or better yet walk up to a CCer and ask why they're hiding their weapon, do they plan on robbing the place. If I worried about something offended anyone all the time, I'd never be able to leave my house.

I mean come on, I drive an SUV some people are offended by that, I smoke, I'm overweight, I have pets, sometimes I drive to fast, sometimes I drive to slow, I drink and I have guns. There's also more about me that may offend someone, but I'm not gonna change any if that, because no matter what you do or how you act, your going to offend somebody.

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    If the kids of this guy are past the age of reason, I wonder what they think of ol' dads shennanigans? I'm guessing he embarrassed the heck out of them and scared them even more than the "evil guns" did.:rolleyes:

jesse485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    La Porte
    I was only responding to the gay analogy. I did not initiate it. Can't tell me you've never seen a husband and wife respectfully kiss each other in public.

As far as I'm concerned OP did nothing wrong. Actually I'm sorry he and his family went through this situation. Like I posted earlier, dad could have handled this better. Point is, we need to be sensitive to some people being uncomfortable around firearms.
    Respectfully kissing is not what I took from your post. If that's what you meant, then I have no problem with the gay couple, even in front of my kids. It might take some talking to them when we get home, just as this fella should have done. While I do understand some may be uncomfortable with the sight of firearms, that's no excuse to walk over to someone minding their own business and harass them.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    You've made the definitive point.

Would he have gone up to a couple of thug looking guys who were acting scary because they scared his kids?

He knew he was safe to criticize, which blows his whole sad little drive by criticism out of the water.

What the heck is a "thug looking guy"? Is it me or YOU wearing a hooded sweatshirt with the hood on?

I am 6 foot, 270 pounds. I wear sweatshirts, jackets, stocking caps, whatever it takes to keep warm in the winter. I ALWAYS CC. I have carried a rifle off my motorcycle into restaurants in the the soft black case.

Whatever....

Frug the sheeple. Who cares what they think?

I know I look "thuggish or scarey" to some folks sometimes. I chuckle inwardly... Because I know I am my 5 Y/O grandsons best friend, and I am Rhonda's husband, and I would defend these sheeples lives if it came down to it.

No matter how I LOOK to them...

Last edited:

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    Respectfully kissing is not what I took from your post. If that's what you meant, then I have no problem with the gay couple, even in front of my kids. It might take some talking to them when we get home, just as this fella should have done. While I do understand some may be uncomfortable with the sight of firearms, that's no excuse to walk over to someone minding their own business and harass them.
    Call me old fashion, but ain't no such thing as two dudes kissing "respectfully" in public. LOL

Fishe39392

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Well....there is that new Rainbow Titanium Sig P238! :D

(Yes....it is real) Products & Services

RainbowSig2.jpg

that is pretty sweet :yesway:
    RainbowSig1.jpg
    who uses dialogue like that? lol
    scrumptious? really?:n00b:

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    That is why I reserve the right to open carry but I do not expose mine often. I usually keep it under my shirt but I dont try to hard to hide it. As far as full on open carry, I have never done it nor do I plan to. There will always be some moron like that guy who confronted you. Obviously, this guy was not afraid of you because he walked up and confronted you. He should have told his child not to be afraid or maybe just walked up with his child and talked to you. The latter would have been the best choice. I don't open carry because most people are ignorant that you have that right and it does scare them. Also, I want to "conceal" that I have the right to open carry but that is just me. I did not know I could open carry until I got my license and I guess I had that right back in the 1990's when I got the permit. It is weird that in Virginia that you have to open carry with a license unless you have a ccw. When I visited VA (which is where I lived during about 5 years of my childhood) I did not feel comfortable open carrying so I just left the gun in the car. I will be getting a FL CCW so I can CCW in VA, WV, FL, OH. FL is already on my list but I spend a lot of time in FL, OH, and VA and would like to CC while there.

Last edited:

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    this scenario

This could be a down side of open carrying if some dude mistakes you for a cop. I have never open carried because so many people are scaredof guns and I do not want to deal with the drama. But to each his own... We should have a national open carry day to break the stigma. What do you think, Tim?
    Not that it matters but it never occurred to this sheep that there's such a thing as plain clothes law enforcement?

Top Bottom