• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    I agree with this statement totally. My question to the group is this: Could you be charged with criminal trespassing if a merchant has a sign up that says "no firearms" and you ignore it and walk in their store? That is really my biggest concern with open carry. I think this might be in their rights to do(since it is their property) but I am not sure.
    I appreciate the good interchange of ideas. I and JCA1776 normally CC, Mk2ja normally OCs. My weapon was visible only after I removed my coat to sit down in this case. I prefer CC because it gives me the choice of when I reveal my status, but OC does make it easier to get into action if it ever becomes necessary. I am not eager to frighten others, though.

I think we handled this as well as possible.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    You've made the definitive point.

Would he have gone up to a couple of thug looking guys who were acting scary because they scared his kids?

He knew he was safe to criticize, which blows his whole sad little drive by criticism out of the water.

EXCELLENT point, however, I am sure this would have been to logical for the man in question to have grasped. :D

I would have told the man:

"I'm sorry, what did you say again? Oh, yes, my wife will take another piece of Extra Crispy and I could use another Coke. Thanks!" :cool:

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    that is true...i dont think he would have...seems very hypocritical if he would not do that ...maybe a little education for the kid would be in order instead of pouncing on a guy eatin' lunch with the fam at KFC (it is ky fried chicken not Killing Family Children)
    You've made the definitive point.

Would he have gone up to a couple of thug looking guys who were acting scary because they scared his kids?

He knew he was safe to criticize, which blows his whole sad little drive by criticism out of the water.

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    good statement

I think we should be ambassadors of open carry and concealed carry as this person is suggesting. People should realize that gun owners are good people who abide by the law and we should be articulate in our explanations as to why we carry guns. Having a good attitude is a big part of carrying guns. I have lived in Fort Wayne where the original poster of this thread is from and I have never in 13 years seen a person open carry except a LEO. I did not even know that you could do it until I renewed this year. That does not diminish this gentelmen's right to do so but it is worth considering about getting the word out and doing it in a respectful fashion
    Agreed. I do not OC most of the time and for this same reason. Most families are not used to seeing a gun unless it is on an LEO. Respect of all others is a very important tool in education. :twocents: I carry my 38 in my purse most times.

juggaloxjj4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    What i find bad about conversations that happen in the forum is that we are only getting the side of people who obviously have no fear towards firarms being this this a firearm websight so of course the replys to ones questions are going to be favoring his ideas and thoughts of the situation that happened. I for one have the same thoughts of the majority of the respones in this thread that you didnt do anything wrong because i have been threatened with the police because i was ocing in my appartment buildings office to pay my bill when one of the handy mans came up to me and threatend to call the police because he said i was scaring the office ladys.

But back to my point i wish that there was a way to get an pure responce to your question. someone that dosent have biase towards one extreame or the other.

sorry a little off topic but there is my :twocents:

btw shoulda opened a 10 piece family bucket of finger licking good whoop a** on him and then his kids would of really been scared.

55spartan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Southern IN
    Probably the same dad that buys his kids all the violent video games showing guns being used recklessly. Which puts it into their minds to be scared of guns.

djjdnap

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2010
    the polis of indiana
    I dont think kids are scared of guns as much as parents,
    Most kids today are used to playing video games that have alot of shooting going on.
    Or they play with water guns.

So A. The kid might be too young to know what a gun is.
    or B. There old enough to think hey thats just like what i play on the game
    or. C. there old enough to think he must be a cop they are the only ones that carry guns.

If there older than the above situations there parents should have a chat with there US history teacher for not explaining the Amendment section.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I know gay people who OC and CC
    and if theyre a "concealed gay" youre not gonna know lol:dunno:

I've known a few "concealed gay" that I knew were gay. My nephew for one, everyone in the family knew before he came out of the closet. When he finally did I heard it was hilarious. He asked his dad to sit down he had something to tell him. My brother looked at him and said "Your gay". His sons jaw hit the floor.

Same as concealed carry, some people print more than others. :D

I agree with this statement totally. My question to the group is this: Could you be charged with criminal trespassing if a merchant has a sign up that says "no firearms" and you ignore it and walk in their store? That is really my biggest concern with open carry. I think this might be in their rights to do(since it is their property) but I am not sure.

A simple "no firearms" sign? As has been discussed several times here. Almost a guaranteed no. It would be the same as a no shirt/no shoes sign. They would have to ask you to leave first. But it may be possible if the sign was worded something like "No firearms allowed, anyone carrying a firearm is trespassing"

I think we should be ambassadors of open carry and concealed carry as this person is suggesting. People should realize that gun owners are good people who abide by the law and we should be articulate in our explanations as to why we carry guns. Having a good attitude is a big part of carrying guns. I have lived in Fort Wayne where the original poster of this thread is from and I have never in 13 years seen a person open carry except a LEO. I did not even know that you could do it until I renewed this year. That does not diminish this gentelmen's right to do so but it is worth considering about getting the word out and doing it in a respectful fashion

Not bashing, I'm just asking. What do you consider a "good ambassador" When I OC I'm polite, well mannered, make eye contact and smile, hold the door for people, help little old ladies across the street etc. Same as when I CC or not carrying.

If someone asks about it I'll talk to them, although I will admit being flippant some times, at least at the very beggining. Such as when asked why I carry, I have answered "because" or "why not". But then I will go on to explain more in depth. The last two times I've had people ask me about it, I talked with them for 10-20 minutes. One time was with a customer in Starbucks, the other was with a couple of employees at my local Kroger. The guy at Starbucks was interested because he wanted to carry himself. The people at Krogers was because a couple of the employees freaked at first and talked to the cashier.

That one was sorta funny. I was buying some beer late saturday night and I noticed a couple of them eying me from around the ends of the aisles on my way to the register. I checked out and the cashier asked if she could ask me a question. I kinda figured what it was and told her sure. We started talking about it and another employee came up and she told him to ask anything he wanted I was willing to talk. :): Eventually half the night shift ended up standing up front talking.

But that being said, I don't worry if I frighten someone while OC. I have OC'ed into restaurants, gas stations, stores, my local polling place on election day.... If they get frightened the first time they see me do so, they will probably be a little less the next time since I didn't start shooting up the place :draw:last time. And then the next a little less. Or the next time they see someone else OC. But if they continue to be frightened that is their problem not mine.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I hope those who read these posts benefited as much as I have. I appreciate the open discussion, the clear presentation of ideas, and the humor. Thanks!

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    What the heck is a "thug looking guy"? Is it me or YOU wearing a hooded sweatshirt with the hood on?

I am 6 foot, 270 pounds. I wear sweatshirts, jackets, stocking caps, whatever it takes to keep warm in the winter. I ALWAYS CC. I have carried a rifle off my motorcycle into restaurants in the the soft black case.

Whatever....

Frug the sheeple. Who cares what they think?

I know I look "thuggish or scarey" to some folks sometimes. I chuckle inwardly... Because I know I am my 5 Y/O grandsons best friend, and I am Rhonda's husband, and I would defend these sheeples lives if it came down to it.

No matter how I LOOK to them...

I'm 6' 2", and my weight varies from 250 to 300, depending on my habits of the moment. I KNOW I look scary. My wife is on me all the time to remember that when I'm arguing politely but firmly with some idiot across a counter, they feel threatened because I'm a big scary guy. It never quite sinks in for me, since I know that I have complete control over my temper, and would never hurt anyone except in self defense.

So yes, my point wasn't to be prejudiced against scary looking people, it was that the guy couldn't have been very scared popping off to those guys. I doubt he'd have popped off if you and I had been sitting there.

This point goes one further. The guy instinctively knew he was in safe company, precisely BECAUSE those guys were OCing. Criminals wouldn't walk in showing their weapons. He got that at some level, which makes his alleged concern a complete lie.

So I say again, would he have popped off to us about anything if we were sitting there dressed scruffily?

Let's go a step farther, even. What if we were our size, only in our early twenties, and perhaps members of a different ethnic group. Would he then pop off?

Again, he KNEW he was safe to make those remarks, which makes him a liar.

Fishe39392

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I've known a few "concealed gay" that I knew were gay. My nephew for one, everyone in the family knew before he came out of the closet. When he finally did I heard it was hilarious. He asked his dad to sit down he had something to tell him. My brother looked at him and said "Your gay". His sons jaw hit the floor.

Same as concealed carry, some people print more than others. :D

I too have known a few "concealed gays", including some that OC and CC.
    I love the "some people print more than others." hilarious

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    KFC has a buffet?

Best question so far. There are some scattered around. We may want to put a sticky thread up, identifying the location of these. I know the KFC in Peru used to have an outstanding buffet. They had livers and gizzards and turnip greens. You just don't get much better than that. Unfortunately I don't have a buffet in my area and it just doesn't seem fair.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Best question so far. There are some scattered around. We may want to put a sticky thread up, identifying the location of these. I know the KFC in Peru used to have an outstanding buffet. They had livers and gizzards and turnip greens. You just don't get much better than that. Unfortunately I don't have a buffet in my area and it just doesn't seem fair.

Kokomo has a KFC buffet on US 31 south of SR 22.

I can't remember if the one on North Washington still has one or not.
    I don't think it does.

The took livers and gizzards off the menu. :( :( :(

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Kokomo has a KFC buffet on US 31 south of SR 22.

I can't remember if the one on North Washington still has one or not.
    I don't think it does.

The took livers and gizzards off the menu. :( :( :(

We used to stop at the one on North Washington on the way out of town until they took them off the menu... lost my business.

I will have to check the one out on 31, hopefully they have livers on the buffet.

LawDog76

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Honestly, dad was probably "frightened" too but wanted to blame it on the kids so he could still look like a "man."

Sounds like it's time to revoke this guys man card. If the kids really were scared of the firearms it's cause dad taught them to be afraid (also grounds for revoking his man card).

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Disclaimer: haven't read the rest of the thread yet.

Mk2ja called to him, "Have a good evening," but the rest of us made no reply. I had a mouthful of chicken, but I had no opportunity to reply anyway. The guy left too quickly.

I guess nobody else saw this, but after I made that remark, as he was opening the door to exit, he made his hand into a gun with his index finger and thumb extended and made the motion of shooting it at me. I told JCA1776 and his wife about that in the car after we left, and he said he'd missed that. But the guy definitely did that to me.

Got my heart racing and I was watching out the window the entire rest of the meal to make sure he wasn't gonna show up with a weapon of his own to pay us back. Josh said he was worried the guy would call the cops and tell them some story about us being disruptive or whatever just to give us problems. I was glad that neither of those fears came to fruition.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    My wife and I, along with my son (JCA1776) and his wife, and my unmarried son (Mk2ja) stopped at KFC in Auburn, IN off I-69, last night about 18:30. Mk2ja was OCing, JCA1776 and I were CCing. Our wives ordered first, then the guys; I joked with the cashier, who appeared to be a high-school age girl, and paid the bill. We served ourselves from the buffet and sat down at a corner table. I hung my coat on my chair before I sat down, revealing my weapon.

Shortly after saying grace, a young man walked up to me and said (verbatim as best as I can recall):

"Do you always carry guns into a family restaurant? You scared the crap out of my kids! Thanks a lot!"

He then turned and walked quickly away. Mk2ja called to him, "Have a good evening," but the rest of us made no reply. I had a mouthful of chicken, but I had no opportunity to reply anyway. The guy left too quickly.

At no point were were rowdy, noisy or threatening in any way. We just ordered, talked amongst ourselves, joked with the staff and picked up our food.

First of all, KFC made no indication of concern or displeasure about our weapons. The staff just took our order, gave us our cups for the drinks and went about their own business.

Second, I never saw the children. I vaguely remember seeing the man seated near the drinks bar on the other side of the shop from where we sat. I have no idea of how our weapons affected them.

From one perspective, the fault lies with the father. All he had to do was explain to his children that weapons are nothing to fear. They are useful tools for self-protection that must be handled wisely and properly; but in the hands of law-abiding and peaceful citizens, they ensure our liberty and safety.

From another perspective, OC frightens children and those unused to seeing weapons in public. Therefore, OC should not be practiced in family situations.

This leads to some questions as part of an AAR:
    1. Should responsible citizens opt for CC to avoid frightening the children?
    2. Does the father have a valid complaint?
    3. Should we have followed the father into the parking lot and opened a can of "whup a**" on him? (OK, just kidding! It was a joke!)

What do you think?

Maybe the TSA will come next time and take your guns and then you will find later that they never took them in the first place????:rockwoot:

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    My thoughts are that this guy is a screaming liberal who no doubt is an Obama supporter. He had no right to interrupt your meal. If he did it to me, I would probably tell him not to try to make his problems my problem.

Top Bottom