• GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Our local Lowes put in 4 (or 6) self check outs a couple years ago, in combination to the remaining cashier check outs. The self checkouts were almost always open and faster. Recently, they’ve taken out the rest of the cashier checkouts but added no more self checkouts. Now, we’re back to waiting in lines.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The local Meijer has taken most of the regular checkouts out and replaced them with rows of self checkouts. Only one cashier left..... With a long line.
    My latest annoyance with Meijer is that they're using the cameras and image recognition to check your cart for items. If you want to split your items into two orders, it will flag you and have a cashier come over to confirm that you're going to pay for the items left in the cart.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I hate waiting in line behind slow people or playing the "let's profile these people and figure out who is going to be slowest" game
    This ^^^, and I hate it because I suck at it. I invariably pick the slowest line for some reason - and when I try reverse psychology and pick against my inclination I still wind up in the line behind 'price check' or the person who wants to discuss a perceived irregularity in their balance or has seven checks, three rolls of coins and some cash that they want deposited in two different accounts

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I won't use them. I have walked out and left a full cart if they have 1 cashier open and all the self checkout are open. I will not work for free. Give me an employee discount i'll consider it.
    Yeah. Meijer has 30 or so checkout lanes, of which I've never seen more than three open no matter how long the lines are

63PGP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2018
    Boone
    I prefer the self checkout. I rarely fill a cart so its just faster to do it myself. Plus I don't end up with raw meat mixed with vegetables. That down right pisses me off.

Now the only time I use a cashier lane is when I take my 93 year old father shopping. That's more for his getting out and about / exercise so I use the regular lane. He likes to talk to the female cashiers.

Last edited:

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Around Indy where I've lived over the years, the ONLY place I ever shopped that ran their Cashiers correctly was Marsh Grocery stores.
    As soon as more than 3 people were in line anywhere, they quickly opened a new Cashier station.
    EVERYWHERE else, NEVER had enough Cashiers, and I'd stand in line all day trying to pay and get out of the store.

So when the Self Checkouts came along, it was a godsend for me.
    I could actually checkout in this lifetime!

Last edited:

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I do not mind self checkout, but sadly over half of the population does not seem mentally fit enough to operate the scanner. It gets even better when they take 10 minutes to check out 3 items only to then see they are at a card only station and apparently lack access to a bank card.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    My latest annoyance with Meijer is that they're using the cameras and image recognition to check your cart for items. If you want to split your items into two orders, it will flag you and have a cashier come over to confirm that you're going to pay for the items left in the cart.
    It even picks up the brown pharmacy envelopes. :xmad: (that are already paid for)

Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    Has anyone heard of people being prosecuted for mis scans around here? The news has shown the Popo doing a door knock for mis scanning items. They watch you with the cameras and get your info from your card and license plate in the lot.

I don't use the self scans. I always have a problem. If you want to cut me a discount maybe. Can I go to the local mechanic and work on my car myself?

Top Bottom