• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Like I said... I don't agree with what is going on... But it is happening... Just pointing out to all the people that were saying it does not happen.
    Right, I'm wondering what the threshold/context is. It's like speeding, a State Trooper could sit on the 465 loop and stop as many people as he wishes just for that. So what is the extra bit that gets his attention?

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Circle k gas station in town has it now. There are times i go in and the cashier is behind the counter with a sign that says “use self checkout”. I have quit going because of this. I now go to caseys for my drinks n fuel. I know they dont care, but i go every morning before work and spend $20 every day. Thats $140 a week lost. I bet im not the only one.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    So....don't use self checkout? This seems simple to solve.
    Getting harder and harder to make that choice. Been in several stores that though they have dozens of cashier checkouts only one is open and overflowing carts are lined up five or six deep.

It is not really a choice when the cost of the cashier checkout is thirty to forty minutes of your life to get through. What is half an hour of life worth to you?*

*A rhetorical question not asking a figure.

blain

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2016
    Evansville
    Since the self checkout trend came about, I've done "their job" for the twice.
    Once at Home Depot where I requested assistance and once at Schnucks where I required assistance.
    Online order and in store pickup have saved me lots of time and money (reducing my impulse buys).
    I even go inside at gas stations when filling up.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    As mentioned above, RFID is coming. In fact, it's here. Sam's is installing what is called a Gateway at the exit.
    It scans everything in the cart, and will set off an alarm if something isn't paid for.
    I would be curious to know if 2 people put charmin in the cart and 1 scans and pays, the other doesn’t and goes through the rfid first, is his charmin counted as the bought charmin? Or does this compare the entire rfid scan to a matching item for item purchase?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Wonder how much Amazon loves it everytime a brick and mortar retailer institutes more or total self checkout?

For years, even before the 'rona, my monthly subscribe and save at Amazon has grown and grown. I balance my order accordingly, sometimes skipping, sometimes letting the $100-$200 order a month ship to me.

After standing in the one open cashier line at Kroger, the cashier often comments on my on sale meat, dairy and occasional produce only purchases.

Depending on meat or other sales, sometimes combined with monthly fuel points consideration, I can put off a grocery visit for weeks.

radar8756

Works for Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   1
    Sep 21, 2010
    Westville, IN
    I would be curious to know if 2 people put charmin in the cart and 1 scans and pays, the other doesn’t and goes through the rfid first, is his charmin counted as the bought charmin? Or does this compare the entire rfid scan to a matching item for item purchase?

Each item has a Unique RFID number -- so if they have a pallet with 144 packages of Charmin - EACH one has a Unique number ... 100,000 items in the store = 100,000 Unique RFID numbers
    ( Billions & Billions & Billions of Unique Numbers )

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Circle k gas station in town has it now. There are times i go in and the cashier is behind the counter with a sign that says “use self checkout”. I have quit going because of this. I now go to caseys for my drinks n fuel. I know they dont care, but i go every morning before work and spend $20 every day. Thats $140 a week lost. I bet im not the only one.

Mrs. Monkey got really mad at me one night. We were on an overnight mini vacation and stopped for snacky treats before going back to the hotel. There were two workers there. One guy standing behind the cash register with his hands in his pockets leaning against the tobacco, and another guy sitting in the back room off to the side and they are having a conversation when we approached.

We get to the counter and I see both registers appear to be closed I look at him and he motions to the 2nd register with the screen turned toward the customer reconfigured for self serve and stops conversing with his coworker. I said "Seriously? " and he just looked at me.

So I hold eye contact with him and used my peripheral vision to aggressively start scanning our stuff dropping it loudly into the bag. Helen Keller would have known I was ticked. Wife said to chill and I said "No! I'm not gonna chill because this lazy dude refuses to do his job. Hey buddy, I get the employee discount for this, right?" No response.

On the way out the door I said what I normally do after a cordial interaction with a clerk, but this time it was delivered sarcastically instead of the normal friendly tone. "Dont work TOO hard tonight, buddy!"

I dont mind self checkout when its optional. Like I use the cool camera based self checkout at Circle K when there is a line at the full serve and I just have a pop and a bag of Jerky. Love that OPTION. But when you've got some idiot standing around literally doing nothing it really ticks me off.
    And what is the linger time? And how does it know which cart is which? They will have to add RFID to the membership card as well to match the cart to the member.

What happens as you are checking out and you see a school classmate. So you stand there and catch up for 20 minutes or so. Now what?

And what happens if the wife continues to to scan and I go out to pull the car around and the card is in MY wallet? Will it alarm because it reads my card but NONE of my groceries?

Lots of questions here.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    I don't mind the small self-checks for quick in-out trips. The larger units, for those buying a cart full, actually slow the process down. I can't ring the item and bag the item since the bags are all the way down at the end of the conveyor belt. So after ringing all the items I must move down to bag. Here comes Mr. 'it's my first time or I'm a ****' who proceeds to start ringing and sending his **** down the belt where I'm sitll bagging and it mixes with my stuff. I refuse to use those large units.

Anyone seen the scanners at gas/convenient stores where you place everything all at once under the scanner and it rings up a total? Neat tech, but it isn't going to be the panacea retail thinks it is.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I don't mind the small self-checks for quick in-out trips. The larger units, for those buying a cart full, actually slow the process down. I can't ring the item and bag the item since the bags are all the way down at the end of the conveyor belt. So after ringing all the items I must move down to bag. Here comes Mr. 'it's my first time or I'm a ****' who proceeds to start ringing and sending his **** down the belt where I'm sitll bagging and it mixes with my stuff. I refuse to use those large units.

Anyone seen the scanners at gas/convenient stores where you place everything all at once under the scanner and it rings up a total? Neat tech, but it isn't going to be the panacea retail thinks it is.
    I had one of those clowns. It was during covid and the guy in front of me was just bagging slowly and didnt put up the bar that keeps the next order's items from proceeding all the way down.

I went over to move the bar like he should have, and he said "Excuse me! I'm not done! Please step back." I tried explaining to him that the blocker was so that the person behind him could scan and allow him to finish without them having to wait. He didnt like that answer. "Well, I'd appreciate it if you would just wait until I'm done."

"Its ok. Now that the bar is there you can take your time and I can stay over here while you finish." He still didnt like that answer. SMH

Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    Right, I'm wondering what the threshold/context is. It's like speeding, a State Trooper could sit on the 465 loop and stop as many people as he wishes just for that. So what is the extra bit that gets his attention?
    I think it is like their attitude at the time. Feeling bored and cocky, pull over someone for 1 mile over... Raining out, let them slide unless they are wreckless. Through the videos I posted people are getting a knock at their door weeks later after a video review shows that they did not scan something. Looks like a spin of the wheel. Well do you feel lucky punk??

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    So....don't use self checkout? This seems simple to solve.
    Or do like I do. If I have time I use the self checkout and triple scan and item then get an employee to walk over and straighten out the mess. Or just buy alcohol. That gets the over there as well. :thumbsup:

Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    Or do like I do. If I have time I use the self checkout and triple scan and item then get an employee to walk over and straighten out the mess. Or just buy alcohol. That gets the over there as well. :thumbsup:
    So why don't they have self checkout at the local gun store??

Or tell me why the ammo is locked behind the counter, but they are ok with you scanning your own stuff?

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Mrs. Monkey got really mad at me one night. We were on an overnight mini vacation and stopped for snacky treats before going back to the hotel. There were two workers there. One guy standing behind the cash register with his hands in his pockets leaning against the tobacco, and another guy sitting in the back room off to the side and they are having a conversation when we approached.

We get to the counter and I see both registers appear to be closed I look at him and he motions to the 2nd register with the screen turned toward the customer reconfigured for self serve and stops conversing with his coworker. I said "Seriously? " and he just looked at me.

So I hold eye contact with him and used my peripheral vision to aggressively start scanning our stuff dropping it loudly into the bag. Helen Keller would have known I was ticked. Wife said to chill and I said "No! I'm not gonna chill because this lazy dude refuses to do his job. Hey buddy, I get the employee discount for this, right?" No response.

On the way out the door I said what I normally do after a cordial interaction with a clerk, but this time it was delivered sarcastically instead of the normal friendly tone. "Dont work TOO hard tonight, buddy!"

I dont mind self checkout when its optional. Like I use the cool camera based self checkout at Circle K when there is a line at the full serve and I just have a pop and a bag of Jerky. Love that OPTION. But when you've got some idiot standing around literally doing nothing it really ticks me off.

And what is the linger time? And how does it know which cart is which? They will have to add RFID to the membership card as well to match the cart to the member.

What happens as you are checking out and you see a school classmate. So you stand there and catch up for 20 minutes or so. Now what?

And what happens if the wife continues to to scan and I go out to pull the car around and the card is in MY wallet? Will it alarm because it reads my card but NONE of my groceries?

Lots of questions here.
    Exactly!! The OPTION to use it is great, and as a consumer I always welcome more options to make things more convenient. But when the employees dont allow it to be an option and force me to use it, it pisses me off. I have on more than one occasion seen the self checkout scans as the only option, and the individual using it needs a can of chew and has to wait for 2 or 3 minutes for an employee to come get them a can of chew.

I save myself the hassle and just go where I know a human will be scanning my items and serving me as a valued customer. I will pay an extra $0.12 for a 20oz soda for that service.

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    Each item has a Unique RFID number -- so if they have a pallet with 144 packages of Charmin - EACH one has a Unique number ... 100,000 items in the store = 100,000 Unique RFID numbers
    ( Billions & Billions & Billions of Unique Numbers )
    Which also means, if they're RFID capable they can also track your location.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Getting harder and harder to make that choice. Been in several stores that though they have dozens of cashier checkouts only one is open and overflowing carts are lined up five or six deep.

It is not really a choice when the cost of the cashier checkout is thirty to forty minutes of your life to get through. What is half an hour of life worth to you?*

*A rhetorical question not asking a figure.
    Buck fiddy...

radar8756

Works for Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   1
    Sep 21, 2010
    Westville, IN
    Which also means, if they're RFID capable they can also track your location.
    Kinda --- there has to be a Scanner which transmits a RF pulse to the RFID chip which "replies" with its number ... as RANGE is a big Factor it's not something they can set on a street corner and just scan passing cars

There was a Store that had RFID chips in their Store Cards - so the Scanners at the Entrance would know if someone with a Card walked into the Store--- they were Sued and spozedly stopped doing it (???)

Top Bottom