• ...and so much more!
  • actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    They can't even deactivate the theft protection right, and people set off the alarm, and just get waved through.

I think a more complicated system will NOT work better.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    There was a Store that had RFID chips in their Store Cards - so the Scanners at the Entrance would know if someone with a Card walked into the Store--- they were Sued and spozedly stopped doing it (???)
    Interesting. Years ago I took a temp job at Target's DC for the holidays, for extra money. During a 'town hall' there, execs described the coming tech where each pallet could/would be found via automated tech. No more losing the location of the pallet! In the same meeting it was as you described, they could use the same tech to identify customers entering the store: were the clothes they were wearing purchased at Target? Did their wallet contain a Target credit card, etc.? It seemed wow at the time. Now it seems intrusive. I think the only thing that changed was my perspective.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    I had one of those clowns. It was during covid and the guy in front of me was just bagging slowly and didnt put up the bar that keeps the next order's items from proceeding all the way down.

I went over to move the bar like he should have, and he said "Excuse me! I'm not done! Please step back." I tried explaining to him that the blocker was so that the person behind him could scan and allow him to finish without them having to wait. He didnt like that answer. "Well, I'd appreciate it if you would just wait until I'm done."

"Its ok. Now that the bar is there you can take your time and I can stay over here while you finish." He still didnt like that answer. SMH
    That’s when you reply “I’m sorry, somehow you got the mistaken impression that your opinion matters to me”.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    As an aside regarding privacy, Anyone remember the Radio Shack CueCat scanners? They were given away for free and were marketed as essentially modern QR code readers to be used with a proprietary barcode. They would print the codes in ads, catalogs, etc and when scanned with their software it would take you to a product webpage for more info. The company behind it also got some other advertisers and companies to test out the codes as well.

And later I think it was RS that put out a scavenger hunt contest aimed at kids. They pretty much told the kids "Hey! go around your house and start scanning barcodes to collect points and virtual prizes!"

Turns out the company was collecting that info for marketing, similar to how modern TV and internet companies track your usage and target ads.

Somebody leaked what was happening behind the scenes and the "contest" was quickly shut down.

And as I recall, the CueCat's death soon followed.

And developers even built shims to make the cuecat into a real barcode scanner so you didnt have to drop big bucks for one. Then people started putting out database apps for collectors and folks were using those free scanners to enter in their collections of like DVDs, books, comic books, etc.

/threadjack.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Ive watched enemy of the state. They track us thru our ink pens and shoe laces. I made up my own language to throw em off. Its a mix between harleyrider and pig latin. Sometimes even I dont understand it, but if i dont, neither do they.
    I hear ya.

I hear voices in my head. Luckilly they appear to speak Portugese. So I guess as long as I dont learn to speak Portugese they cant tell me to do bad things.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Ive watched enemy of the state. They track us thru our ink pens and shoe laces. I made up my own language to throw em off. Its a mix between harleyrider and pig latin. Sometimes even I dont understand it, but if i dont, neither do they.

Chelsea boots and mechanical pencils for privacy. Pocket sand is still ok, right?

Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    Kinda --- there has to be a Scanner which transmits a RF pulse to the RFID chip which "replies" with its number ... as RANGE is a big Factor it's not something they can set on a street corner and just scan passing cars

There was a Store that had RFID chips in their Store Cards - so the Scanners at the Entrance would know if someone with a Card walked into the Store--- they were Sued and spozedly stopped doing it (???)
    The RFID, is that what they are using with the credit cards. Where you just wave your card in from of the reader to pay? It may be a bit of a different frequency, but must be a similar idea.

SeanT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2024
    Ontario, Canada
    As a Gen Z, I would say it saves a lot of time to wait in full line at Costco when you have one or two stuff in the cart. not because of Socialphobia, just really don't want to talk to people unless it is necessary...(perhaps that's the reason I got rejected for cashier at the Walmart nearby my University....)

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    "They" will need a lot of antenna, given the range of passive RFID chips.
    Yup, we have a baby security system in the hospital that people are constantly confusing for a locater. It only tells you that the tag is near a door and if you get too close to the door it automatically locks it or disables the elevator. No triangulation is possible.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    As a Gen Z, I would say it saves a lot of time to wait in full line at Costco when you have one or two stuff in the cart. not because of Socialphobia, just really don't want to talk to people unless it is necessary...(perhaps that's the reason I got rejected for cashier at the Walmart nearby my University....)
    Don't knock Costco's checkout procedures, they put Sam's Club and a lot of other high volume stores to shame!

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    As an aside regarding privacy, Anyone remember the Radio Shack CueCat scanners? They were given away for free and were marketed as essentially modern QR code readers to be used with a proprietary barcode. They would print the codes in ads, catalogs, etc and when scanned with their software it would take you to a product webpage for more info. The company behind it also got some other advertisers and companies to test out the codes as well.

And later I think it was RS that put out a scavenger hunt contest aimed at kids. They pretty much told the kids "Hey! go around your house and start scanning barcodes to collect points and virtual prizes!"

Turns out the company was collecting that info for marketing, similar to how modern TV and internet companies track your usage and target ads.

Somebody leaked what was happening behind the scenes and the "contest" was quickly shut down.

And as I recall, the CueCat's death soon followed.

And developers even built shims to make the cuecat into a real barcode scanner so you didnt have to drop big bucks for one. Then people started putting out database apps for collectors and folks were using those free scanners to enter in their collections of like DVDs, books, comic books, etc.

/threadjack.
    Funny, this showed up in The Hustle email today

Top Bottom