• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I used to use the self checkout lanes because I was always faster and didn't need to unload the cart with the handheld bar code scanner. I now use Scan & Go feature in the app and scan the items as I pick them up. A quick swipe to pay on the phone and the checker at the door scans a QR code from the phone. Super quick and zero standing in the crazy lines. I was at the Sam's in Fort Wayne last Saturday and lines were over half way to the back of the store. A quick scan and out the door with no waiting for a register.
    This is interesting. I was not previously aware and thus far have taken the position that there is a special place in Hell for the inventor of self-checkout. I may have to re-evaluate!

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    To all those complaining that the self-checkouts are putting people out of work, I would suggest that they approach the managers of the stores and encourage them to go back to the practice of putting those people to work restocking the shelves while the store is closed, instead of doing it at peak shopping times like they all seem to do now. Nothing like fighting the Chins and their 3 generation shopping contingents while simultaneously having to deal with empty shelves and carts full of boxes blocking the aisles. :n00b: They can be employed without having to man the registers.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I ran a register while the self check outs came along and it actually didn't cost anyone their job. What you have instead is that the same single lane they would have open with that 1 person is now running 5 lanes: 4 self checks and the kiosk (which is a regular register too, normally, in most places). Maybe 1 or 2 days a year would ever see all of the checkouts open at 99% of retailers.

I'll also add that it's not like your restricting someone's bright future by kicking them off a career of running a register. Cashier is normally the lowest paid position in the store and usually the lowest skilled. It's also a career that is going to vanish as soon as widespread RFID is integrated into products, which is for sure coming. It won't be long before the store just "knows" what you have in your cart and charges you as you walk through the lanes.

In the meantime, the only store that does self check out correctly is Sam's. Give me the scanning gun, no scale, no bags, and just let me fly.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Might not be the panacea the retailers hoped it would…

With paper-thin margins, retailers thought they'd hit paydirt with self-checkout. Cut wages, shorten lines, and make shopping, aka spending money, "easier." But instead of improving the bottom line, stores are losing money.”

“One study shows that retailers who rely heavily on this technology have double the industry loss rate. Shrinkage is the technical term for this loss, and it can mean the difference between solvency, survival, and store closings.

Lpherr

Occupied
    I see the items not getting scanned at the checkout. I coined a phrase for it. Don't Walmart me.
    As mentioned above, RFID is coming. In fact, it's here. Sam's is installing what is called a Gateway at the exit.
    It scans everything in the cart, and will set off an alarm if something isn't paid for.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Might not be the panacea the retailers hoped it would…

With paper-thin margins, retailers thought they'd hit paydirt with self-checkout. Cut wages, shorten lines, and make shopping, aka spending money, "easier." But instead of improving the bottom line, stores are losing money.”

“One study shows that retailers who rely heavily on this technology have double the industry loss rate. Shrinkage is the technical term for this loss, and it can mean the difference between solvency, survival, and store closings.

Because in their estimates, they figured loss would stay the same, or increase a 'bit'.

People never figure human responses.
    Just like when they make laws.

Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    As mentioned above, RFID is coming. In fact, it's here. Sam's is installing what is called a Gateway at the exit.
    It scans everything in the cart, and will set off an alarm if something isn't paid for.
    I see this is an old thread resurrected....

I am not one to do selfcheckout. For some reason, I ALWAYS get the flashing light and need help. I went with a friend to Lowes and he said, no it works, I said no way, It never works for me, he said I will show you. Yep, we got the flashing light and busted out laughing. Then he kept trying to make an excuse why it did not work.

I wanted to post this, because it was not brought up.
    BTW, The news is saying self checkouts are going away. Mostly from too much theft. Another problem they have, if a cashier misses a scan, it is a mistake. If you miss a scan, it is theft and you can be prosecuted for it. Miss that 4th can of beans that beeped, but did not scan? Watch out for the popo. How do you prove it is a mistake not a theft??? The stores say you should check off every item on the receipt to make sure you paid for all of them.

glank09

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 27, 2013
    Corunna
    I see this is an old thread resurrected....

I am not one to do selfcheckout. For some reason, I ALWAYS get the flashing light and need help. I went with a friend to Lowes and he said, no it works, I said no way, It never works for me, he said I will show you. Yep, we got the flashing light and busted out laughing. Then he kept trying to make an excuse why it did not work.

I wanted to post this, because it was not brought up.
    BTW, The news is saying self checkouts are going away. Mostly from too much theft. Another problem they have, if a cashier misses a scan, it is a mistake. If you miss a scan, it is theft and you can be prosecuted for it. Miss that 4th can of beans that beeped, but did not scan? Watch out for the popo. How do you prove it is a mistake not a theft??? The stores say you should check off every item on the receipt to make sure you paid for all of them.

So is it theft from you if you go through a cashier line and they accidentally scan something twice without realizing it? Had it happen to me twice within the last month. One of the cashier's was less than happy when I called them out for it!

Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    So is it theft from you if you go through a cashier line and they accidentally scan something twice without realizing it? Had it happen to me twice within the last month. One of the cashier's was less than happy when I called them out for it!
    Like I said, If the cashier makes a mistake, it is a mistake. It is their job. But if you make a mistake. It is a crime. This is not my opinion... It is the law. I know what you mean, they are not happy to be called out on it. But look over the links I posted.

I just read another article the other day about a lady taken away in cuffs because she missed a can of food. I could not find it in a quick search.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Like I said, If the cashier makes a mistake, it is a mistake. It is their job. But if you make a mistake. It is a crime. This is not my opinion... It is the law. I know what you mean, they are not happy to be called out on it. But look over the links I posted.

I just read another article the other day about a lady taken away in cuffs because she missed a can of food. I could not find it in a quick search.
    Calling BS that a mistake scanning a can of beans constitutes a crime. Now if you forget or failed to scan a TV different story. Heck they are not even having shoplifters arrested and prosecuted…

Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    Calling BS that a mistake scanning a can of beans constitutes a crime. Now if you forget or failed to scan a TV different story. Heck they are not even having shoplifters arrested and prosecuted…
    I can't find that exact video. But I remember it was a black woman who miss scanned one can valued under $3. Technically, not paying for one item is still a crime, no matter what the dollar amount is.

I agree with the cart load of tvs running out the door that get away free. And they are going after the people that don't scan all of their self checkout purchases. Check out the videos. They total up all your misscans over time and go after you once it hits a certain dollar amount. Sure almost all are stealing.

Hey, I don't think it is right, and knowing my luck, I won't mess with it.

Look at the first video, they arrested her for missing a bag of reeses.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I feel like there is some more context behind this. I can't imagine how prosecuting people for small missed items will help their bottom line. We mostly use Meijer as our primary store and if they were to come after us for something silly like a missed bag of candy they risk loosing literally thousands of dollars/year in food sales (family of 5).

Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    I feel like there is some more context behind this. I can't imagine how prosecuting people for small missed items will help their bottom line. We mostly use Meijer as our primary store and if they were to come after us for something silly like a missed bag of candy they risk loosing literally thousands of dollars/year in food sales (family of 5).
    Like I said... I don't agree with what is going on... But it is happening... Just pointing out to all the people that were saying it does not happen.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    So....don't use self checkout? This seems simple to solve.
    I'd have to go to a different store at least 5 minutes out of my way. The Neighborhood WM on my way home is 100% self checkout now.

After Christmas I took a bunch of Christmas cash to load a gift card for my teen. I went to the customer service desk and explained I did not feel comfy shoving that much cash in a self serve unit and preferred to interact with a human.

They refused to serve me and told me I had to suck it up and use the self checkout, as its against their policy to do the transaction there.

The only bonus is I dont have some blue hair asking me for my receipt like the regular WM that is sorta on my way home. (getting off the interstate halfway home)
    My favorite story goes the other way. Back in the day a grocery cashier was half-a**ing it and BSing with the next cashier over.

She was OBVIOUSLY phoning it in because she just kept the same rhythmic cadence of about 1 scan per second. She was so preoccupied with her conversation she didnt notice that every 3rd or 4th item didnt beep. Beep or not, it went in the bag and she reached for the next item without missing a beat.
    I was so shocked at her aloofness that I did even think to stop her. I just kept watching expecting her to eventually notice one didnt scan, but nope. I probably saved $10-20 or so that day. lol

Top Bottom