• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    So if I get a knock on the door, I'm more than happy to show the official my log book to confirm we are indeed talking about the same firearm and that I sold it on a certain date. I'm willing to help with the investigation as much as I am able.

I wouldn't show them the log, just say "that gun was sold." I also wouldn't offer extra help to any investigator freely without a lawyer. Who knows how they could turn your log against you if they felt the need. *Puts tinfoil hat back on

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I wouldn't show them the log, just say "that gun was sold." I also wouldn't offer extra help to any investigator freely without a lawyer. Who knows how they could turn your log against you if they felt the need. *Puts tinfoil hat back on

Good point.

D K

Marksman
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Apr 10, 2010
    Eh.

private sale? Nothing. I don't have a bill of sale printed when i sell anything else. Why should a firearm be any different.

why? For me, personally, its not like anything else. Guns, vehicles and real estate are “items” that I’ve taken ownership of only after putting my name on records that show the custody transfer.

With that said, some of my “paranoia” stems from 19 years in NJ, where laws are so restrictive that a resident must request a permit to purchase from the local PD/Sheriff BEFORE they can purchase a single handgun.

I’m glad I live in a state that doesn’t put the screws to law-abiding citizens (for the most part) and I wouldn’t have an issue if a seller’s requested some info from me to complete the sale. I get the points made that there’s no law, so there’s no need to perform the act, but that’s just my preference.

This has been a good discussion, and certainly demonstrates that people can have differing opinions, but still have the freedom to communicate those in a forum like this to collaborate.

I liked what was posted about saving emails/pm’s/text messages.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I always make the deal through text. Preferably email. Before we meet I ask the basics like you can own guns legally in Indiana right? And your an Indiana resident? Then state gun, price and location. You can screen shot the reply of you feel you need record. That keeps your personal info away from someone else's custody.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    why? For me, personally, its not like anything else. Guns, vehicles and real estate are “items” that I’ve taken ownership of only after putting my name on records that show the custody transfer.

With that said, some of my “paranoia” stems from 19 years in NJ, where laws are so restrictive that a resident must request a permit to purchase from the local PD/Sheriff BEFORE they can purchase a single handgun.

I’m glad I live in a state that doesn’t put the screws to law-abiding citizens (for the most part) and I wouldn’t have an issue if a seller’s requested some info from me to complete the sale. I get the points made that there’s no law, so there’s no need to perform the act, but that’s just my preference.

This has been a good discussion, and certainly demonstrates that people can have differing opinions, but still have the freedom to communicate those in a forum like this to collaborate.

I liked what was posted about saving emails/pm’s/text messages.

Regarding the highlighted part, that's only true if you purchased/transferred through an FFL, or from someone that required a bill of sale with your info on it, which is kind of the point of this thread. Private sale only? Not necessarily so (talking about firearms, not vehicles or real estate obviously).

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Regarding the highlighted part, that's only true if you purchased/transferred through an FFL, or from someone that required a bill of sale with your info on it, which is kind of the point of this thread. Private sale only? Not necessarily so (talking about firearms, not vehicles or real estate obviously).

That was my point earlier. Proof I no longer own the gun in question that was traced to me.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    True, a BOS is not required. And the OP brings up the issue with identity theft. I'm just bringing up insulating yourself from something down the road.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I know a guy who sold a pistol that was later used in a double murder. Investigation led to him and he said he sold it years before, nothing further, he didn't even have to provide name of person he sold it to.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    I've bought 4 or 5 guns from Ingo, asked to sign a BOS once. Any gun I've sold, they left with the gun, I left with the cash. Nothing further needed from me.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    I got my answer, pretty much if I buy with FFL transfer, IÂ’m selling with FFL. Then IÂ’ve been thinking about selling here in Delaware county weÂ’re having a big spike in the current Covid cases. So if a transaction is face to face done showing ID and we are both wearing masks. Also we have to wear them all day at work for last couple months and at times even now it can be difficult to communicate let alone verifying if a person is the one matching the ID.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    If you get one be sure to get it notarized otherwise they could say you just made it up. Also when you write the address down list value of your other guns and times no one is home. Just for full disclosure.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    If you get one be sure to get it notarized otherwise they could say you just made it up. Also when you write the address down list value of your other guns and times no one is home. Just for full disclosure.

Never thought of it that way. I should insulate myself from that.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I follow BATF rules period, I don't add anything. I do have to obtain names and address for C&R firearms as this is a requirement of my C&R license, but as to "modern" firearms, the requirements state that you may sell to any resident of the state in which you reside as long as you "do not know or have reasonable knowledge that the buyer is not illegal to possess a firearm". If the BATF wanted to let you check their record they would allow you to obtain the same Info a dealer does via the 4473 method. I firmly believe there are enough laws on the books that I don't need to add more!

If a firearm used in a criminal activity to me I will simply state I sold the gun. Case closed unless they have evidence I participated in a crime, which I know can't happen!

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    I follow BATF rules period, I don't add anything. I do have to obtain names and address for C&R firearms as this is a requirement of my C&R license, but as to "modern" firearms, the requirements state that you may sell to any resident of the state in which you reside as long as you "do not know or have reasonable knowledge that the buyer is not illegal to possess a firearm". If the BATF wanted to let you check their record they would allow you to obtain the same Info a dealer does via the 4473 method. I firmly believe there are enough laws on the books that I don't need to add more!

If a firearm used in a criminal activity to me I will simply state I sold the gun. Case closed unless they have evidence I participated in a crime, which I know can't happen!

True. My goal is to be law abiding. The police, imo, have a tough enough job. People not guns worry me.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Like had been stated here. You don't have to get a bos. You don't have to keep a ledger. You are probably safer not having personal info in someone else's possession. If a gun you sold gets used in a crime you probably won't even know about it. If you're not willing to meet someone at your house to sell a gun then don't put personal info on paper with a person that has no requirements to safeguard that information. I've bought rifles with sales slips or gun Smith tickets that had addresses and names. That bos could sit in the case only to get sold to the next person, then maybe stole or of a car. You're at a much higher risk putting personal info on a bos with an individual than you are at risk of being accused for a crime.

jy951

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    I recieved a call once by some law enforcement agency, not sure which. A gun I purchased new from a dealer was involved in a crime. They asked who I sold it to, i didn't remember and didnt give any specifics other than someone from some city from ingo. And that was it, I didn't even go to jail.

Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    I recieved a call once by some law enforcement agency, not sure which. A gun I purchased new from a dealer was involved in a crime. They asked who I sold it to, i didn't remember and didnt give any specifics other than someone from some city from ingo. And that was it, I didn't even go to jail.

I've heard this story so many times. What can they do at that point? Nothing.

I have bought and sold MANY guns over the years. Sometimes I just get bored with them, and sometimes I don't like the gun as much as I thought I would, and sometimes I just want a change for no particular reason.

But when I sell one, I require only two things: a valid driver's license from our current state of residence, and cash in my hand. I would like to see a LTCH, and I always put that in my ad, but I don't strictly adhere to it, because I know that not everyone cares enough to actually carry.

I can only remember one time where I actually signed a receipt and let him see my license, and it's because I was getting such a good deal because he set such a low reserve on Gunbroker, and I was the only bidder. I think he was mad. :)

I see so many ads on Armslist that get me ready to put hundred dollar bills in someone's hands, until I see "must sign a bill of sale, and I will verify the information from your driver's license". Yeah, good luck with that.

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    My daughter sold a gun a few years ago and that gun was used in a crime. The police contacted me , because I was on her contact list when she was in the hospital, and asked me to have her contact them, because her number had changed. She does so and all they wanted was to know if she wanted her gun back.

It is a crazy world we live in.

Top Bottom