• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN
    I like the guys (at least one right here on ingo sales) who want LTCH for a rifle purchase. I operate by two rules: 1) Just show something that proves you are indiana resident and that 2) your not a felon and we are good to go. Why make it harder than it needs to be.

Last edited:

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    No receipt or record for me. It isn't required by law and I'm not worried about a firearm I've owned ending up being used in a crime. Even if it were it's gonna be pretty tricky to gather the necessary remaining evidence to convince anyone to issue an arrest warrant, let alone go to trial.

I see no problem asking to see an Indiana ID and Handgun License but I don't record anything.
    Same.
    I always make sure I'm selling to an Indiana resident and a proper person to the best of my ability at the time of selling. After that, it's not my problem.
    A firearm is no different than selling a car. Make sure you do what you must to be legal and forget about it

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Bill of sale and copy of driver’s license might help , a copy for buyer and for seller!

Uhm... No way. Not happening. Same reason I'm not handing over my ssn to the dentist or any other health provider form, etc that seems to want it, because there is absolutely no reason you or they need that info.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Bill of sale and copy of driver’s license might help , a copy for buyer and for seller!

iu

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    The bottom line is that each seller has to do what makes them comfortable and the same for each buyer; but there are no legal paperwork requirements for a private sale when neither party holds an FFL. I was lucky and the first time I sold a gun I found someone who was understanding and put up with my need for reassurance about the sale. I haven't had any paperwork involved in subsequent sales.

I got my answer, pretty much if I buy with FFL transfer, IÂ’m selling with FFL. Then IÂ’ve been thinking about selling here in Delaware county weÂ’re having a big spike in the current Covid cases. So if a transaction is face to face done showing ID and we are both wearing masks. Also we have to wear them all day at work for last couple months and at times even now it can be difficult to communicate let alone verifying if a person is the one matching the ID.

Make sure you check with the FFL you are going to use for a private transfer. I ask around when I made my first sale and was told by more than one that they would not handle a private party sale.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Should info be transferred with sale of firearm? Know basic indiana laws on sales. Was seeking consul from Ingo on whether or not to transfer info. This day and age with so many ways for Identity theft to take place. How and why is the best way.

Like Churchmouse said, the devil's in details.
    Selling privately without an FFL? You betcha. A least if you're running a transfer through an FFL, you'll have CYA paperwork, but when I've sold privately, I use a Bill of Sale I found online.
    Heaven forbid the gun is used in a crime, or stolen from the buyer and used in a crime, and the last paper record is from the time you bought it.
    Unless, of course, there was no paperwork, text messages, emails that changed hands when you bought it in the first place - if so, no bother.
    If the buyer has an issue with the record, that would raise a flag with me.

I've purchased and sold several firearms via private sale, only to have two (2) of them later be used in crimes (both had been transferred on again and neither had been used in a shooting.)
    When ISP and ATF came calling, I had paperwork to show where the firearm had been sold / transferred to!
    When I purchase or sell a firearm privately, I ask if they are comfortable with a receipt, intended for our eyes only and both receive a copy...must show INDL and LTCH, but no numbers recorded!
    I've had it asked 'why' and when I tell them, they often ask for a blank copy of the form for their own use down the road, which I am happy to oblige.
    I've had people who are more than happy to have a receipt printed for them.
    I've had people who refuse to participate with a receipt, to which I have refused to either purchase or sell to them.
    I've had people who wish to purchase, who do not have a pink slip, to which I say we go to a local FFL and they have to pay a transfer fee, which has been done before.
    It's all about CYA...I've found that people who're willing to do a receipt tend to be more on the honest and upright side of life, and those who refuse, the opposite.
    When it comes to firearms, if you can't go my way, too bad...I don't need anything you have or want and vise-versa...aka, too bad, so sad!
    Better to take the time to CYA than spend too much time talking with the authorities!

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I'm on the honest side of life and I won't give you personal information on a sale. Name address and age followed by a 15 minute conversation and a person can probably guess their way into your digital life, toss in birthday, dln, photo and a crafty enough person will be able to start renting cars and opening credit cards.

Indiana nor the feds require any of that cya tracking. Don't volunteer to have your personal and identifying data stored by some guy who just bought your taurus. I don't even give that much info when I sell a gun on consignment. Because it doesn't matter. It's a security risk to yourself. Stop compromising yourself and others. I've said it multiple times here I've got guns where people before me felt the need to store this kind of info in the gun case. You don't know where you're copy of your license is going

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    My daughter sold a gun a few years ago and that gun was used in a crime. The police contacted me , because I was on her contact list when she was in the hospital, and asked me to have her contact them, because her number had changed. She does so and all they wanted was to know if she wanted her gun back.

It is a crazy world we live in.

I guess one good thing about not buying all your guns "off the books"; The off chance you win the lottery and get your gun back to sell again. Free money! :):

ID theft is a serious concern. Like you said in hands of the right person

If you are that nervous, meet at a friendly gun store that is willing and pay them their fee to transfer the firearm using a 4473. Some gun stores are eager for the cash and will do that for you.

But as others have said a simple "I sold it to a guy" and they go away. This isnt Soviet Russia where you have to prove your innocence. Unless they have something else that could potentially tie you to the crime, you have nothing to worry about.

Hell, I had something slightly similar. Got a call from a detective investigating a break-in at an apartment. I was called because I had done work on the lady's computer 6 months prior and she suspected me of having cased the joint while I was there. :rolleyes: Found out the hard way this referral from one of my clients was actually his CRAZY now ex girlfriend. The detective politely requested I come to the station to submit my fingerprints. I told him politely to pound sand because it was 45 minutes away, but gave him the tip that if he really wanted them, I was already in the system due to my LTCH. If they were mine, he'd get the hit when they searched so my trip wasnt necessary.

Lilboog82

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2014
    Indiana
    I only ask to see indiana drivers license and just my preference to see their LTCH to confirm they can own a gun(qualified person). No info recorded, swap cash and gun shake hands and part ways.

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    A lot of times they have a suspect in custody long before they find the murder weapon. I wouldn't say its common they have a crime, with a firearm left behind and the trace is the only thing they need to prove whodunnit.

Cash - and a trade. Have a good day.

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    You do you.

I don't do a BOS as a seller, and I won't buy if the seller demands a BOS. And I definitely walk away if they pull one out at the last second (my biggest pet peeve in private transactions - sellers who don't disclose up front that they require a BOS, but pull one out during/after the transaction).

It's not required; it's not necessary; you don't need it to protect you if you're not breaking the law; it won't protect you if you actually break the law. I'm sure most of us don't require a BOS when selling a hammer, or a screwdriver, or an axe, or a knife. A gun is just a hunk of metal, wood, and/or plastic that's no more dangerous than anything else.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I don't.
    I have sold several on here. Only thing I do is see if who ever is buying/selling has a good reputation on here (nothing negative that couldn't be explained).

Top Bottom