• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FKIM01

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2013
    United States
    As a buyer, I always want some form of receipt to prove ownership. Bloomington PD recovered a stolen firearm for a friend and REQUIRED proof of ownership to return it to him. No idea what he would have done if he'd lost his bill of sale.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Would not pictures of the gun with serial number not work for proof of ownership?

In the case of a Glock or a like handgun, the box with serial number on it work to show proof of ownership?

FKIM01

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2013
    United States
    Would not pictures of the gun with serial number not work for proof of ownership?

In the case of a Glock or a like handgun, the box with serial number on it work to show proof of ownership?

A picture would be proof of former possession. Not sure that would be sufficient for loony Bloomington.

I'd agree that if you still had a serial numbered box for the recovered firearm, that would be pretty strong evidence, but that assumes you had a box to begin with and that it wasn't stolen with the firearm in question.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    A picture would be proof of former possession. Not sure that would be sufficient for loony Bloomington.

I'd agree that if you still had a serial numbered box for the recovered firearm, that would be pretty strong evidence, but that assumes you had a box to begin with and that it wasn't stolen with the firearm in question.

They'd know if it was reported stolen prior to your reporting it stolen though. That would be a different conversation. :)

I certainly understand the loony Btown police argument, but a legal private sale in IN does not require any paperwork.

If they couldn't somehow determine that you stole the gun then their own documentation would show that you reported the gun/serial number stolen, thus had posetion of it.

I wonder how far they could take their requirement legally, if a person could prove posetion?

Top Bottom