Sen. John McCain Has Passed Away. RIP Sir, And Thank You.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I believe he was a much better man than I am.

Until Duke Cunningham betrayed me, I thought there were two American hero’s from that war.

A far better man than most who would disparage him here.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    Duplicate...but not a love fest. He served as a patriot in the military, not so much in the Senate. And I have met the man. He had a gorgeous wife and wealth, he should have gone home to enjoy it many years ago; instead he chose to squat in that seat at the Senate and do foul justice to his legacy. Sad, but God Speed.

To put a little more accurate description on McCain’s wealth and gorgeous wife, do some research on how he got both, McCain was married when he was a prisoner of war. His wife was involved in a serious auto accident and lost much of her physical good looks. According to pretty reliable sources, McCain returned home and quickly began to chase every good looking skirt he could find. After divorcing his wife, the skirt he caught was an ex rodeo queen from Arizona who’s Daddy (not sugar) was a multi millionaire who was politically well connected in Arizona.

McCain chose to divorce his wife and marry into wealth thus creating a political legacy since he couldn’t sustain the McCain military legacy created by his grandfather and father ( both of whom were admirals). McCain graduated very low in his academy class and was known for his extra marital affairs. His service to country in the military is arguably indisputable. Thereafter, he gave us McCain-Feingold and helped prevent the repeal of Obama Care. His marginal RINO position over the past several terms was a disservice to the Republican citizens of Arizona and the country as a whole. I have no problem acknowledging his military service, but eulogizing his political accomplishments can only be done by either those holding left leaning views or by his current immediate family.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    To put a little more accurate description on McCain’s wealth and gorgeous wife, do some research on how he got both, McCain was married when he was a prisoner of war. His wife was involved in a serious auto accident and lost much of her physical good looks. According to pretty reliable sources, McCain returned home and quickly began to chase every good looking skirt he could find. After divorcing his wife, the skirt he caught was an ex rodeo queen from Arizona who’s Daddy (not sugar) was a multi millionaire who was politically well connected in Arizona.

McCain chose to divorce his wife and marry into wealth thus creating a political legacy since he couldn’t sustain the McCain military legacy created by his grandfather and father ( both of whom were admirals). McCain graduated very low in his academy class and was known for his extra marital affairs. His service to country in the military is arguably indisputable. Thereafter, he gave us McCain-Feingold and helped prevent the repeal of Obama Care. His marginal RINO position over the past several terms was a disservice to the Republican citizens of Arizona and the country as a whole. I have no problem acknowledging his military service, but eulogizing his political accomplishments can only be done by either those holding left leaning views or by his current immediate family.

Several winners in this thread.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    Doing even more research I discovered an article about John McCain related to the disastrous fire that occurred on the U.S.S. Forrestal. Sources stated that McCain performed a “wet start” of his F-4 which was alleged to cause the fire that broke out on deck. McCain’s grandfather and father, as Admirals, carried considerable weight and reportedly suppressed McCain’s contribution to the disaster, one which killed the most naval personnel since WW II. I sincerely don’t mean to pile on - I would, however, appreciate a full and unbiased description of his military service. There are many veterans who were forced into service in an unpopular war who performed with distinction without ever receiving the appreciation of the United States government or many of its citizens.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Doing even more research I discovered an article about John McCain related to the disastrous fire that occurred on the U.S.S. Forrestal. Sources stated that McCain performed a “wet start” of his F-4 which was alleged to cause the fire that broke out on deck. McCain’s grandfather and father, as Admirals, carried considerable weight and reportedly suppressed McCain’s contribution to the disaster, one which killed the most naval personnel since WW II. I sincerely don’t mean to pile on - I would, however, appreciate a full and unbiased description of his military service. There are many veterans who were forced into service in an unpopular war who performed with distinction without ever receiving the appreciation of the United States government or many of its citizens.

I was aware of this. Yes he was by many accounts responsible. If you watch the footage when the armament cooks off it is terrible.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart

Earned him the nickname John "wet start" McCain. Also had the nickname John "Songbird" McCain, if you want to search that too

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    IT WASN'T A WET START.

WTF?
    Why does this lie keep spreading?

1) His plane was in the flight path of the missile. So, did the missile do a frickin U turn?
    The missile came from the OTHER side of the carrier.

2) The missile ignition was because of switching from generator to internal plane power. It caused a voltage spike. This STILL HAPPENS TODAY.
    This is why missiles are not armed till the plane is on the Cat. So if it goes off, it there is no BOOM.
    The missile was launched by Lt Cmdr Bangert's plane. It was determined that the pin to prevent this, was missing. Either to speed up the launch process, or just plain fell out. The pins to get worn after hundreds of use.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    CVA-59_fire_aft_deck_plan.png

Plane 110, a PHANTOM, launched the missile.

McCain was in a SKYHAWK, #416, on the other side. It was hit, along with the SKYHAWK #405, Lt. Cmdr. White.

So, McCain was on the OTHER SIDE of the carrier, and not even in the TYPE OF PLANE that launched the missile.
    Yet, people keep spreading the lie around.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Yeah he crashed enough on his own, he doesn't need any help adding to it

I hate defending people I don't like.
    I didn't like President Obama, he did enough stuff on his own, you didn't have to make stuff up. Yet, people made stuff up.
    I don't like President Trump. He does enough stuff on his own, you don't have to make stuff up. Yet, people do.
    And I didn't like McCain. I respect him for his service, and for being a POW. But I did not like his politics.
    BUT, you don't have to attribute this to him.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I hate defending people I don't like.
    I didn't like President Obama, he did enough stuff on his own, you didn't have to make stuff up. Yet, people made stuff up.
    I don't like President Trump. He does enough stuff on his own, you don't have to make stuff up. Yet, people do.
    And I didn't like McCain. I respect him for his service, and for being a POW. But I did not like his politics.
    BUT, you don't have to attribute this to him.
    I agree. I do not like fake news no matter which side it comes from. I've repeated a bad story before and it makes me feel suckered. I dont like that crap.
    I do respect his service to our country in the military the same as I do any vet regardless of their MOS or wartime, peacetime. You laid ass on line period, that's a serious willful and selfless sacrifice.
    My beef with McCain is honestly mostly his Senate time. Even his personal life I dont really care about as long as he was putting the citizens first. I dont believe he did for at least the last 15 years. I believe McCain was out to get exactly what hes getting and that's to lay in state in the rotunda one day.
    But this transcends McCain. We have a problem in this country when politicians think their time as servants of the people has made them great. I cannot even fathom the great honor it would be to represent my neighbors in the Capitol of this republic, the greatest government this world has ever witnesses and to bear their concerns on the floor or the house and get them satisfaction while maintaining the oath to the constitution I would have taken. It gives me chills. So when I see so many of them throw their oath out like refuge and serve themselves first and not the republic and the people by that end, it infuriates me and also truly hearts my heart. A man like john McCain who had witnessed and shared a brotherhood with men who paid the ultimate sacrifice for this nation, and would sully their final act of courage and devotion by his treasonous behavior in the Senate towards our military and veterans and the freedoms we have, its sick. I just cannot Express the words or the disgust I've had towards john McCain for over a decade. I feel betrayed completely by him. I feel suckered like a fake news story. And I did call and write him in life to let him know how I felt over the years. So I will not be part of the idolization of this man as some heroic statesman of the republic, no. He, was, not, that.
    He will get his just due and more because of his political status, that he earned as a veteran. Nothing changes that.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I agree. I do not like fake news no matter which side it comes from. I've repeated a bad story before and it makes me feel suckered. I dont like that crap.
    I do respect his service to our country in the military the same as I do any vet regardless of their MOS or wartime, peacetime. You laid ass on line period, that's a serious willful and selfless sacrifice.
    My beef with McCain is honestly mostly his Senate time. Even his personal life I dont really care about as long as he was putting the citizens first. I dont believe he did for at least the last 15 years. I believe McCain was out to get exactly what hes getting and that's to lay in state in the rotunda one day.
    But this transcends McCain. We have a problem in this country when politicians think their time as servants of the people has made them great. I cannot even fathom the great honor it would be to represent my neighbors in the Capitol of this republic, the greatest government this world has ever witnesses and to bear their concerns on the floor or the house and get them satisfaction while maintaining the oath to the constitution I would have taken. It gives me chills. So when I see so many of them throw their oath out like refuge and serve themselves first and not the republic and the people by that end, it infuriates me and also truly hearts my heart. A man like john McCain who had witnessed and shared a brotherhood with men who paid the ultimate sacrifice for this nation, and would sully their final act of courage and devotion by his treasonous behavior in the Senate towards our military and veterans and the freedoms we have, its sick. I just cannot Express the words or the disgust I've had towards john McCain for over a decade. I feel betrayed completely by him. I feel suckered like a fake news story. And I did call and write him in life to let him know how I felt over the years. So I will not be part of the idolization of this man as some heroic statesman of the republic, no. He, was, not, that.

Well, for once, Wiki has a good article on this. You can verify it other places.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1967_USS_Forrestal_fire

Issues with Zuni rockets[edit]

In addition to bombs, the ground attack aircraft carried unguided 5.0 in (127.0 mm) Mk-32 "Zuni" rockets. These rockets were in wide use although they had a reputation for electrical difficulties and accidental firing.[SUP][6][/SUP] It was common for aircraft to launch with six or more rocket packs, each containing four rockets.[SUP][6][/SUP]

Unstable ordnance received[edit]
    On 28 July, the day before the accident, Forrestal was resupplied with ordnance from the ammunition shipUSS Diamond Head. The load included sixteen 1000-lb AN/M65A1 "fat boy" bombs (so nicknamed because of their short, rotund shape), which Diamond Head had picked up from the Naval Base Subic Bay and were intended for the next day's second bombing sortie. Some of the batch of AN-M65A1s Forrestal received were more than a decade old, having spent a portion of that exposed to the heat and humidity of Okinawa or Guam,[SUP][9][/SUP] eventually being improperly stored in open-air Quonset huts at a disused ammunition dump on the periphery of Subic Bay Naval Base. Unlike the thick-cased Mark 83 bombs filled with Composition H6, the AN/M65A1 bombs were thin-skinned and filled with Composition B, an older explosive with greater shock and heat sensitivity.

Composition B also had the dangerous tendency to become more powerful (up to 50% by weight) and more sensitive if it was old or improperly stored. Forrestal's ordnance handlers had never even seen an AN/M65A1 before, and to their shock, the bombs delivered from Diamond Head were in terrible condition; coated with "decades of accumulated rust and grime" and still in their original packing crates (now moldy and rotten); some were stamped with production dates as early as 1953. Most dangerous of all, several bombs were seen to be leaking liquid paraffin phlegmatizing agent from their seams, an unmistakable sign that the bomb's explosive filler had degenerated with excessive age, and exposure to heat and moisture

Top Bottom