• Status
    Not open for further replies.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    No, because i’m Obviously just a sexist

If you don't feel the same way when they act up, then yes - you probably are. You probably have different expectations of the womens' sports - like many other fans of women's tennis.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Have you been studying kut? Calling people sexist and inferring racist undertones?

Dude.

You openly stated that you view bad behavior by men differently - not as bad - as bad behavior by women. How is that not sexist? I'm not calling you sexist as much as you're admitting it.

You seem to follow women's tennis. Do YOU really think Serena's race doesn't play a role in how she's treated, especially by non-USians?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I'm not gonna edit it. I didn't mean it in that way, didnt even cross my mind. I'm not gonna edit it for any snowflakes that may want to twist my words into something they arent

This isn't a snowflake thing, it is a reality thing.

Referring to black people as "beasts" has a long and storied tradition, one that you are familiar with. I get that you weren't thinking in those terms when you wrote it, but not changing it when you KNOW it is offensive is troubling.

But whatever. If you're good with it, then that's all that matters.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Dude.

You openly stated that you view bad behavior by men differently - not as bad - as bad behavior by women. How is that not sexist? I'm not calling you sexist as much as you're admitting it.

You seem to follow women's tennis. Do YOU really think Serena's race doesn't play a role in how she's treated, especially by non-USians?

I don’t follow women’s tennis.

when did I admit it? Do you mean my joking response to your serious question as to whether i’m Sexist?

i have a huge disappoint. Racist and sexist in three minutes. Is that a new INGO record? Is she gay too? That would be the trifecta you could complete

Last edited:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I don’t follow women’s tennis.

when did I admit it? Do you mean my joking response to your serious question as to whether i’m Sexist?

i have a huge disappoint

Poe's law, dude. Sarcasm doesn't come across in print.

I see now that you edited the post after I posted, which I didn't see earlier. Not that the edit clarifies you were being sarcastic. :)

If you don't treat men and women differently, then you probably aren't sexist. If you do, then you probably are. I'm not sure how that's controversial.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    If you don't treat men and women differently, then you probably aren't sexist. If you do, then you probably are. I'm not sure how that's controversial.

Oooo!

new-challenger-approaching.png

:)

Can you clarify a bit on this line? When you say "treat", are you talking about 1-to-1 situations where one is judged differently for the same infraction?

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    This isn't a snowflake thing, it is a reality thing.

Referring to black people as "beasts" has a long and storied tradition, one that you are familiar with. I get that you weren't thinking in those terms when you wrote it, but not changing it when you KNOW it is offensive is troubling.

But whatever. If you're good with it, then that's all that matters.
    I dont refer to people by color unless they make it about color. People are people to me. I've had this discussion with kut. I wasnt raised to see color and I mean that. That's why i hate this race BS.
    When I typed that I meant it actualy as a compliment. Large was the dig, beast was like "beast mode". I'm just letting you know because I respect you. If I'm wrong I'll say I'm wrong, but I'm not wrong here. I'm not deleting it because this is the exact thing we need to stop doing is trying to tip toe around this issue. I'm not gonna talk different around a black, brown, yellow, white, purple, person because I'm talking to that color. I'm talking like me, to another person. If they dont like me then dont come back around me. But I dont think ANYONE is inferior to me because of race or gender or sexual preference. I reject the idea of it. (And believe me I was raised NOT to accept homosexuality and I reject that. I dont have to like it but i believe they are equal and entitled to equal riggts) I'll fight for everyone who is oppressed and I have. I'd do it right now on the street if I saw someone being oppressed because they were black. I'd risk my life for an idea, a basic human principal. These are things I live by and not just type on a computer. So the idea that I meant sometjjng I didnt just isnt gonna fly with me and I'm not playing those games.to edit it would compromise what I believe in. If a mod feels it needs to be edited i will do it because this is their house or they obviously have the power to do it but that's the only way its happening.

For the record I didnt mean you were being a snowflake just to be clear. I knew you were just looking out for me and others

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Can you clarify a bit on this line? When you say "treat", are you talking about 1-to-1 situations where one is judged differently for the same infraction?

Yes, both.

The 1 on 1 situation is pretty obvious.

I understand this ref is a stickler for certain rules, including the one that started this mess. I've played/coached/ref'd my share of different sports over the years, and an important part of ref'ing IMHO is keeping control without putting yourself first. It is not easy. I can only imagine what that scales up to on the biggest stage.

But, this particular ref - and tennis refs in general - put up with WAY more stuff from the men than the women. Serena has been a lightning rod for that kind of hypocrisy basically her whole career. This is just the latest example.

I dont refer to people by color unless they make it about color. People are people to me. I've had this discussion with kut. I wasnt raised to see color and I mean that. That's why i hate this race BS.
    When I typed that I meant it actualy as a compliment. Large was the dig, beast was like "beast mode". I'm just letting you know because I respect you. If I'm wrong I'll say I'm wrong, but I'm not wrong here. I'm not deleting it because this is the exact thing we need to stop doing is trying to tip toe around this issue. I'm not gonna talk different around a black, brown, yellow, white, purple, person because I'm talking to that color. I'm talking like me, to another person. If they dont like me then dont come back around me. But I dont think ANYONE is inferior to me because of race or gender or sexual preference. I reject the idea of it. (And believe me I was raised NOT to accept homosexuality and I reject that. I dont have to like it but i believe they are equal and entitled to equal riggts) I'll fight for everyone who is oppressed and I have. I'd do it right now on the street if I saw someone being oppressed because they were black. I'd risk my life for an idea, a basic human principal. These are things I live by and not just type on a computer. So the idea that I meant sometjjng I didnt just isnt gonna fly with me and I'm not playing those games.to edit it would compromise what I believe in. If a mod feels it needs to be edited i will do it because this is their house or they obviously have the power to do it but that's the only way its happening.

For the record I didnt mean you were being a snowflake just to be clear. I knew you were just looking out for me and others

I appreciate all that.

For me, though, the history is undeniable. By not editing it, you are - whether you mean to or not - placing yourself on the same side linguistically as some of the most vile human beings in history. But, if you're satisfied with "I didn't mean it THAT way" then that's up to you.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    USTA: “[FONT=&amp]"Naomi is a deserving champion and Serena at all times plays with class and makes us proud."

puh-thetic[/FONT]

The various factions are drawing alliances for and against each other. Those fault lines aren't something I follow, so I'm just kinda watching them out of curiosity. I think you'll see a generational divide at some point, with the baby boomers taking the more traditional position that women's tennis is more civil than what Serena displays.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    5'9" 185lbs...in the world of women's tennis this may count. No need to read anything else into it.

While I'm impressed that you have that memorized ;) most people don't. More, that doesn't change history.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    - placing yourself on the same side linguistically as some of the most vile human beings in history.

So, I speak German too...I guess linguistically that puts me on the same side as Der Fuhrer historically and I should stop using those words (there were a LOT of words in Mein Kampf). English, puts me on the same side as slave owners and abolitionists, I'm not 'of color' so I guess I'll always be associated with slave owners even though my family didn't come here until after WWI.

People need to stop being offended by every possible thing and engage in conversation and thought. TT clarified what he meant when you asked.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    So, I speak German too...I guess linguistically that puts me on the same side as Der Fuhrer historically and I should stop using those words (there were a LOT of words in Mein Kampf). English, puts me on the same side as slave owners and abolitionists, I'm not 'of color' so I guess I'll always be associated with slave owners even though my family didn't come here until after WWI.

My post referred to people who use "beast" to refer to black people. Not languages spoke/conversant in.

I know "beast mode" is in the current vernacular and has a different meaning. If the post had said that - as TT noted in his follow up as being more in line with his meaning - then no harm. I wouldn't even have brought it up.

But that's not what it says.

People need to stop being offended by every possible thing and engage in conversation and thought. TT clarified what he meant when you asked.

Ummm... not for nothing, but are you saying people shouldn't be offended when someone calls a black person a beast? I'm just trying to get clarity on what parts of historical context to ignore.

Although, I'm relieved to see INGO adopting an objective standard for when people can be called otherwise offensive things. That'll help in future discussions.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    My post referred to people who use "beast" to refer to black people. Not languages spoke/conversant in.

I know "beast mode" is in the current vernacular and has a different meaning. If the post had said that - as TT noted in his follow up as being more in line with his meaning - then no harm. I wouldn't even have brought it up.

But that's not what it says.

He had made earlier comments about her physical stature. It said exactly what he meant and you’d have to TRY to turn it into a racial undertone.

We are just beyond sick of the toxic eggshells we’re trying to walk through. Wait, is there something racist, sexist, homophobic about eggshells? Eff. I better delete my account and quit my job

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I read his comment and did not see color. I saw a line backer with a tennis racket and thought the comment was appropriate.

As for referring to folks in an offensive manner...if they are not INGO members...;) You have seen the political pictures thread...:dunno:

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom