• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Personally, I think tennis is boring and I don't think I've watched more than a couple of sets on TV since the introduction of television to the masses.

HOWEVER, I've seen a few fotos of Serena over the years and while she isn't a pretty woman, there is no denying the raw athleticism of her physique.

Whinging about a woman's "sportsmanship" in a tennis venue is likely to have all the lumberjacks snickering under their breaths.

Last edited:

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I'm getting dizzy too and I don't understand the controversy. IT IS A GAME! I played competitive tennis for many years. I've played with a few people, more men than women, that acted in a similar fashion and it's disgusting behavior. It's not about a competitive edge, it's about not accepting the fact that someone Serena believed had inferior athletic abilities outperformed her. What she was trying to do was simple intimidation. She tried to bully her way back into the match because she was losing. I faced similar situations a few times when I played. Her plan was to rattle her opponent emotionally hoping she could get back into the match. Unfortunately she took it so far that the umpire had enough of her antics and insults. In her mind now she can say to herself "I didn't really lose, the match was taken from me unfairly because> _________ < fill in appropriate excuse.
    It's not a black, white, male or female thing but simply someone that pursues winning at ANY cost. Like John McEnroe, Serena is the epitome of a self-important spoiled brat that has yet to learn that the earth revolves around the sun rather than Serena Williams.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I read something at one time that stated - get this - "All MEN are created equal".

Nothing, nada, zippo about women!

... You know, you're probably not far off of some of the feminist arguments. I bet there's a group out there that actually points to that line and attributes it to being sexist and the reason feminists perceive themselves as not being equal.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    So what I’ve gathered from this thread so far...

We want all people to be treated equal, but we can’t treat them equal.

This is hard.

It's not so difficult, you don't treat all people equal; you judge them based on their abilities and contributions. The problem is the participation trophy mentality. Sarina has found that she can't win on her own merit and is now demanding her participation trophy.

I prefer to judge everyone on their merits, not their SJW card punches.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    It's not so difficult, you don't treat all people equal; you judge them based on their abilities and contributions. The problem is the participation trophy mentality. Sarina has found that she can't win on her own merit and is now demanding her participation trophy.

I prefer to judge everyone on their merits, not their SJW card punches.

I agree. I’m just confused as to how we equated calling someone a beast as racist. Race wasn’t mentioned, so if we want equality we should be able to call people animals or beasts when they act like it, and stop saying we can’t because they’re a certain ethnicity. I want equality for all, so I should be able to equally judge their actions without being scrutinized for the terminology used.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I agree. I’m just confused as to how we equated calling someone a beast as racist. Race wasn’t mentioned, so if we want equality we should be able to call people animals or beasts when they act like it, and stop saying we can’t because they’re a certain ethnicity. I want equality for all, so I should be able to equally judge their actions without being scrutinized for the terminology used.

Can't tell if serious or not, but this might help:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-45476500

Whether we like it or not, whether we admit it or not, there is a context of past behavior that is real and offensive. If someone is unaware of that context, ok, then education is important (like certain British race car drivers who may not be familiar with an offensive idiom). Once aware, then it is a personal choice whether to ignore it or not.

While I admire the idealism that seeks to divorce offensive meaning from otherwise neutral terms (the "hard r" issue, "thug," and hundreds of others) we are not there yet. And denying the offensive meaning exists doesn't help.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Can't tell if serious or not, but this might help:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-45476500

Whether we like it or not, whether we admit it or not, there is a context of past behavior that is real and offensive. If someone is unaware of that context, ok, then education is important (like certain British race car drivers who may not be familiar with an offensive idiom). Once aware, then it is a personal choice whether to ignore it or not.

While I admire the idealism that seeks to divorce offensive meaning from otherwise neutral terms (the "hard r" issue, "thug," and hundreds of others) we are not there yet. And denying the offensive meaning exists doesn't help.

So then what you’re saying is, if a white woman did that it would be ok to say she acted like an animal or she was a beast, but if a black woman did then it’s not ok? And yet you’re claiming to be fighting for equality? So before I give my opinion on an individuals actions, I should google the term I plan on using and see if there’s a historical significance to the persons ethnicity before I describe their actions a specific way, even without a racist intent, racism will be cited? Interesting.

Is there a link of which words I can’t use to describe certain ethnicities? I wouldn’t want to judge an INDIVIDUAL and use the wrong terminology or anything.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom