• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I think I mentioned it before, but my primary problem with the SERPA holsters is the wimpy belt attachment. The first one I received was for a Glock 19. It was issued to a buddy who worked for a well-known private security contractor in Iraq. He was getting out of his SUV and the holster got caught on something on the way out. He recovered his G19 still in the holster dangling from his lanyard. I got my second one from the prize table at a USPSA match and I had to get a new belt loop made for it by a holster maker.

Yeah, I noticed that the belt loops that come with the holster appear to be completely garbage. They're thin and flimsy.

I ordered a Safariland belt loop. Going to see if I can slightly modify it to bolt up to the Serpa.

Regarding safety, all of my guns that I carry in a Serpa have safeties that are on until the gun is out of the holster. So no issues with the location of the release button.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Quick copy and paste taken from one of the articles:

[FONT=&quot]“So I have a simple question for you: Why on earth would you bet your life on a poorly-made, poorly designed holster that has been banned by many law enforcement agencies, top tier instructors, shooting schools and ranges, when there are so many better options on the market?”

i can answer that one easily. They are cheap! Cheap JUNK, but CHEAP is the operative word.[/FONT]

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    Yeah, I noticed that the belt loops that come with the holster appear to be completely garbage. They're thin and flimsy.

I ordered a Safariland belt loop. Going to see if I can slightly modify it to bolt up to the Serpa.

Regarding safety, all of my guns that I carry in a Serpa have safeties that are on until the gun is out of the holster. So no issues with the location of the release button.

I suggest also ordering a Safariland holster. There are more reasons not to carry a SERPA than the leg shooty thing.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    Good update for this thread ... The SERPA Compendium (lots of links ... WARNING: graphic images)

Should be required reading before deciding to carry one of these truly awful contraptions. Thank you for sharing that. It pretty well covers all the points I've been trying to make for years. And I have personally seen Serpa holsters jam and not release the gun, and I have seen the holsters break off from the paddle/loop plate. Absolute junk.

[FONT=&amp]“So I have a simple question for you: Why on earth would you bet your life on a poorly-made, poorly designed holster that has been banned by many law enforcement agencies, top tier instructors, shooting schools and ranges, when there are so many better options on the market?”

i can answer that one easily. They are cheap! Cheap JUNK, but CHEAP is the operative word.[/FONT]

And I will add that inexpensive =/= cheap. Safariland holsters are about the same price as the Blackhawk, and much better. Don't bet your life on a Serpa.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Ok, I'm sorry, I'm one of those derps that bought one of these for my 1911.

I've been thinking about getting the Alienware holster, but does any one know if it comes with the retention button or of you can only get that if you buy the deluxe package that has all of their stuff?

Or does Alienware suck as bad as serpa?

newtothis

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2011
    FMJ.... Alienware has had some high profile publicity issues in the last few years. Food for thought.

I support the recommendations for Safariland.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I suggest also ordering a Safariland holster. There are more reasons not to carry a SERPA than the leg shooty thing.

You didn't read.....did you?

Safariland does not make one for the CZ 75. If they did, I'd have one. But they do not.....so I'm stuck with a Serpa.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city

[FONT=&amp]“So I have a simple question for you: Why on earth would you bet your life on a poorly-made, poorly designed holster that has been banned by many law enforcement agencies, top tier instructors, shooting schools and ranges, when there are so many better options on the market?”

I dont put total weight in opinions made by those who are bribed or paid to render them

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend

Safariland does not make one for the CZ 75. If they did, I'd have one. But they do not.....so I'm stuck with a Serpa.

You posted that Safariland doesn't make a holster for that gun in another thread, so excuse my misunderstanding.

As cbhausen suggested, I suggest carrying a gun for which you can get an ALS. I understand that you like that gun, but I wouldn't trust my life to one of those Blackhawks. It's unfortunate that Safariland doesn't make a holster for the CZ 75. It seems popular enough.

Gloy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2018
    Milford
    I think it's more the Indian than the arrow ,I've had my glock 17 in a serpa holster for several years now. I wear it everyday and shoot steel challenge and uspsa with it, not once has there been any negative issues . I have also witnessed some of the other holsters mentioned here getting people dq'd because they fired a round to close on the draw. So is it really the equipment's fault? I think not! Let's quit blaming the equipment for operator error. I know in this day and age personal responsibility is lost, but really think about it ,can the equipment really be to blame...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I think it's more the Indian than the arrow ,I've had my glock 17 in a serpa holster for several years now. I wear it everyday and shoot steel challenge and uspsa with it, not once has there been any negative issues . I have also witnessed some of the other holsters mentioned here getting people dq'd because they fired a round to close on the draw. So is it really the equipment's fault? I think not! Let's quit blaming the equipment for operator error. I know in this day and age personal responsibility is lost, but really think about it ,can the equipment really be to blame...

:thumbsup:

chenowethpm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 12, 2019
    Indianapolis

I got a safariland als holster for my cz 75 SP01. I can’t remember what the model number is but it’s one that you have to put the shim in it. It fits the cz good after that. If I can find the packaging I’ll post the model. It was actually the only holster at the LGS I went to that fit the cz. And mines the tactical version with the threaded barrel, the barrel does stick out of the bottom of the holster.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I got a safariland als holster for my cz 75 SP01. I can’t remember what the model number is but it’s one that you have to put the shim in it. It fits the cz good after that. If I can find the packaging I’ll post the model. It was actually the only holster at the LGS I went to that fit the cz. And mines the tactical version with the threaded barrel, the barrel does stick out of the bottom of the holster.

Might it be made for the S&W M&P?

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Got the Safariland belt loop in. The top two holes fit. The bottom, I had to drill a new hole. Safariland bolts had the same thread pitch and a bigger head to distribute force better, but they were too long. So I cut them to length.

Shouldnt be any issues with the flimsy blackhawk belt loop now.

VFghW3U.jpg

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013

Please do whatever you can to get that model number, I’d seriously appreciate it.

Top Bottom