• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I spent a great deal of time outlining why the Safari does not work for me and it does not. My serpa suits me just fine. In the hundreds of times I have drawn from it never 1 issue. Never. I see draw backs in the Safari as to my needs. But I will not condemn it just because it does not fit my needs.

Now to each their own just like personal fire arm choices. What fits you might not be for me. I have trained with my Serpa and it works.....for me. If I shoot myself within its use that is on me not the Serpa.

Choose your poison.

I have had NO Issues, with my Serpa .....

But, I was NOT born in Ca., I train with my equipment .....

We used to say something in the USMC, and ARMY,

Train like you fight, and fight like you train .....

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    I think it's more the Indian than the arrow ,I've had my glock 17 in a serpa holster for several years now. I wear it everyday and shoot steel challenge and uspsa with it, not once has there been any negative issues . I have also witnessed some of the other holsters mentioned here getting people dq'd because they fired a round to close on the draw. So is it really the equipment's fault? I think not! Let's quit blaming the equipment for operator error. I know in this day and age personal responsibility is lost, but really think about it ,can the equipment really be to blame...

Carry it for competition, then. Do not carry it for self preservation or duty. My main concern with the Serpa is not the higher likelihood that you will shoot yourself. People seem to get caught up on that. The mechanism which retains the firearm can easily be jammed by debris, dirt, rocks, snow, ice, and permanently retain your firearm. I've seen people have to cut the holster off their gun because it got jammed.

This has nothing to do with operator error. It is a very poorly designed mechanism which is prone to catastrophic failure.

There are several reasons not to carry this death trap, piece of junk, poorly designed and manufactured holster.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Carry it for competition, then. Do not carry it for self preservation or duty. My main concern with the Serpa is not the higher likelihood that you will shoot yourself. People seem to get caught up on that. The mechanism which retains the firearm can easily be jammed by debris, dirt, rocks, snow, ice, and permanently retain your firearm. I've seen people have to cut the holster off their gun because it got jammed.

This has nothing to do with operator error. It is a very poorly designed mechanism which is prone to catastrophic failure.

There are several reasons not to carry this death trap, piece of junk, poorly designed and manufactured holster.

Understood and good points but nothing ALS makes works for me. I have 2 of them bought just so Vigilante would stop being mean to me. :):

Neither are what I would want to carry, As with others here I really never see myself running and gunning through rocky/sandy/treacherous terrain that might or might not lock my serpa up. Age has a lot to do with that of course but seriously, I to feel that any of these offerings could cause issue to the user. Man made them, they could fail because of that simple fact.

But I do see your points.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    Understood and good points but nothing ALS makes works for me. I have 2 of them bought just so Vigilante would stop being mean to me. :):

Neither are what I would want to carry, As with others here I really never see myself running and gunning through rocky/sandy/treacherous terrain that might or might not lock my serpa up. Age has a lot to do with that of course but seriously, I to feel that any of these offerings could cause issue to the user. Man made them, they could fail because of that simple fact.

But I do see your points.

I see your points, too. If it works for what you need it for, go for it. However, my philosophy is that you won't get to pick when and where you have your gun fight. If you get into a hands on altercation and fall to the ground, there is a very real possibility that while you're rolling around fighting, your Serpa will get irreparably jammed, and your gun is out of the fight.

Maybe a small chance of that happening in most scenarios, but personally, I'm just not willing to risk it.

chenowethpm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 12, 2019
    Indianapolis
    Please do whatever you can to get that model number, I’d seriously appreciate it.
    I found the model number on the back of the holster. It’s the 578 Pro Fit. This is the GLS style. I’ve only just learned of the difference between the ALS and GLS systems.
    54MZGxC.jpg

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I see your points, too. If it works for what you need it for, go for it. However, my philosophy is that you won't get to pick when and where you have your gun fight. If you get into a hands on altercation and fall to the ground, there is a very real possibility that while you're rolling around fighting, your Serpa will get irreparably jammed, and your gun is out of the fight.

Maybe a small chance of that happening in most scenarios, but personally, I'm just not willing to risk it.

Can not say that will not happen. To many variables but......if it is out of the fight for me then it is out of the fight and my ground game had better be on. I am not a smallish person and have had way more altercations in this life than I will openly discuss. Part of where and how I grew up I guess. I have always been a hands on guy but as age and what comes with that gets to be a factor this needs to be considered.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I know in this day and age personal responsibility is lost, but really think about it ,can the equipment really be to blame...

Yes, in various proportions. When equipment gives you less margin of error, and you accept humans aren't infallible, it can easily be "both". You don't drive in the rain on racing slicks and Indy cars don't run snow tires. Let's get over the notion that equipment is irrelevant to the outcome and admit that even the most skilled of users do better with better equipment. I don't care how skilled you are, you get a twig behind your SERPA button and you're not drawing your pistol.

Let's also accept that a lot of gear works just fine in context of not being pushed but fails at a much lower point when more stress is placed on it. A backpack that works just fine for toting books around a college campus doesn't necessarily make a good choice for a through hike of the Appalachian Trail or a ruck for Ranger school.

I could duct tape a flip-flop to my belt and be fine for a steel challenge. How it performs in that context is irrelevant to me and to anyone who carries for self-defense and defense of others. For that purpose, one needs to be concerned about how it performs if knocked down, if fighting over the gun, etc. That'll never be an issue at a game. Nobody is going to try and take your gun from you, nobody is going to knock you down, nobody is going to try and rip your holster from your belt while his buddy holds you at gun point or after punching you in the head a few times. If that happens, things like weak attachment points, buttons you can't access when the gun is trapped under you, debris behind the button, that can lead to a loss.

If all you carry for is to ring steel, it is probably a lovely option for you. If you carry it for real, pressure test it in something like Craig Douglas' ECQC and get back with us.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I found the model number on the back of the holster. It’s the 578 Pro Fit. This is the GLS style. I’ve only just learned of the difference between the ALS and GLS systems.

Thanks for tracking that down. I was aware of the GLS option. I do not do one size fits all holsters, which is what these are. Was hoping there was an ALS option that fit the 75b’s. Oh well, I’ll continue on with my Serpa until Safariland comes out with an ALS for it.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Thanks for tracking that down. I was aware of the GLS option. I do not do one size fits all holsters, which is what these are. Was hoping there was an ALS option that fit the 75bÂ’s. Oh well, IÂ’ll continue on with my Serpa until Safariland comes out with an ALS for it.

Who do you think is more likely to be certainly killed in a gunfight? Me with my crappy Sig P365 or you with your crappy Serpa?

:):

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Anybody have any experience with the Safariland 537 GLS pancake style concealment holster? Thinking about getting one for my M&P Compact.

Capture.jpg

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Who do you think is more likely to be certainly killed in a gunfight? Me with my crappy Sig P365 or you with your crappy Serpa?

:):

:laugh: It’s an internet mystery that’ll never be solved

My EDC carry rig is not a Serpa though. I carry concealed in a JM kydex rig. The Serpa is only for the range and games. If Safariland ever does an ALS for a cz 75, I’ll be the first in line.

Anima mundi

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Southport
    If all you carry for is to ring steel, it is probably a lovely option for you. If you carry it for real, pressure test it in something like Craig Douglas' ECQC and get back with us.
    Thankfully, Craig already did it a million years ago for everybody to see!

[video=youtube;2BfsoIJbFis]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BfsoIJbFis[/video]

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Anybody have any experience with the Safariland 537 GLS pancake style concealment holster? Thinking about getting one for my M&P Compact.

Capture.jpg
    I tried a GLS for a little bit. I found it was MUCH easier to muff the draw. It’s nearly impossible to miss the ALS release, I managed to miss the GLS release too often. Of course anything can be bettered with practice/training I mean Tex Grebner only shot himself that one time.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I tried a GLS for a little bit. I found it was MUCH easier to muff the draw. It’s nearly impossible to miss the ALS release, I managed to miss the GLS release too often. Of course anything can be bettered with practice/training I mean Tex Grebner only shot himself that one time.

In the pic is that the release behind the trigger guard.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    In the pic is that the release behind the trigger guard.

Yes it is.

Some people think that it's too easy for someone to grab your gun, because of where the release is located. It's not really supposed to mimic a level 3 holster or anything, just something a little more secure in retention than your typical kydex or leather open top holster that a lot of people use for concealed carry. I usually pocket carry or conceal carry under a cover garment with a kydex holster with no active retention, so I was just thinking of maybe getting one of these to have a little bit more retention. If I was going to open carry, I'd go with the ALS.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yes it is.

Some people think that it's too easy for someone to grab your gun, because of where the release is located. It's not really supposed to mimic a level 3 holster or anything, just something a little more secure in retention than your typical kydex or leather open top holster that a lot of people use for concealed carry. I usually pocket carry or conceal carry under a cover garment with a kydex holster with no active retention, so I was just thinking of maybe getting one of these to have a little bit more retention. If I was going to open carry, I'd go with the ALS.

The ALS does not work for me. I have one and tried it several times. The release is not in a natural position for me (yes could be overcome) and the whole rig rides to high. The ALS also requires the pistol be lifted higher to clear it than the Serpa.

My right shoulder has come to show me all of the damage I have put on it over the years. Drawing a 1911 from the ALS puts me right at the edge of free movement and pain threshold due to it riding higher and also does not have to lower cut so the nose can clear. .

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    The ALS does not work for me. I have one and tried it several times. The release is not in a natural position for me (yes could be overcome) and the whole rig rides to high. The ALS also requires the pistol be lifted higher to clear it than the Serpa.

My right shoulder has come to show me all of the damage I have put on it over the years. Drawing a 1911 from the ALS puts me right at the edge of free movement and pain threshold due to it riding higher and also does not have to lower cut so the nose can clear. .

Sounds like you need a thigh rig... ha ha

Top Bottom