• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    definitely don't compete . It will spoil you. Standing still in a shooting lane punching holes in paper isn't much fun anymore.

short answer, yes. Lots of guys in IDPA are running stock guns. (Me included)

Yep. JMB produced a work of art. Unfortunately by today's manufacturing standards it is not reliable. Not unreliable enough to be considered junk, but just not as reliable as other modern guns like the Glock. In most situations that difference doesn't matter. I've witnessed at least 3 1911s fail miserably in classes or competition. Oh, and one smith revolver with mainspring issues. No Glocks though.

I loved my 1911. Dead sexy. And accurate.

I never said it was not reliable. They are dead on reliable. They suffer the same issues as any other piece.
    Issues are when tight asses run crap ammo in the well fit up 1911's and they get stupid dirty on account of this. If you have a hotrod Camaro/Mustang do you run crap gas in it.....I hope not.
    Also the cheap offering will not usually run a speer or like offering hollow point. Sadly you get what you pay for in the 1911.
    Mine eat anything you feed them and I do not feed them crap. But hey, not everyone spends the time I do on my baby's.

Now that said yes many of the plastic offerings are not subject to this. Truth here. They eat anything you feed them and do well with it.
    But they are still ugly.....:):

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have one Plastic framed handgun. It is a CZ P-09 and I think it is butt ugly. It is.
    "BUT"...it runs very well. It is as accurate as I am everytime I run it. High round count in the mags and it zipps. You just feel the need to dump the mag when you pick it up. I love it even though it is still ugly.

Oh, and it has a freaking hammer.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I bought a Glock 19 Gen4 for it's looks.
    [...]
    Yep, I bought a Glock for it's looks.

You should appreciate this then. You're welcome.

lc4fj.jpg

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I have one Plastic framed handgun. It is a CZ P-09 and I think it is butt ugly. It is.
    "BUT"...it runs very well. It is as accurate as I am everytime I run it. High round count in the mags and it zipps. You just feel the need to dump the mag when you pick it up. I love it even though it is still ugly.

Oh, and it has a freaking hammer.

Hammers are obsolete. I know this because the G**** guys say it all the time.

I have a plastic gun. It isn't as ugly as a P09. It's ergonomics are like an old pair of slippers. It's trigger makes me think of a beautiful woman covered in warm cocoa butter...

Um, hang on guys, I'll be right back...

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    I'd just like to state that I took a class back in June and saw two different Glocks have failures while my Beretta didn't...

...and it's absolutely meaningless. Most major gun manufacturer's have proven track records, but that doesn't mean your favorite brand can't and won't ever fail.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Oh It didn't sound mean...

Here's a glock in a fake environment. I'm sure it would have done better in its native "real world" environment...

:):

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ku1-fq6RV0Q[/video]

Probably would have done better if the guy didn't **** with it and add whatever aftermarket parts to it. Or his ****ty reloaded ammo. Just a guess since glocks don't suck without outside help

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    definitely don't compete . It will spoil you. Standing still in a shooting lane punching holes in paper isn't much fun anymore.

short answer, yes. Lots of guys in IDPA are running stock guns. (Me included)

Yep. JMB produced a work of art. Unfortunately by today's manufacturing standards it is not reliable. Not unreliable enough to be considered junk, but just not as reliable as other modern guns like the Glock. In most situations that difference doesn't matter. I've witnessed at least 3 1911s fail miserably in classes or competition. Oh, and one smith revolver with mainspring issues. No Glocks though.

I loved my 1911. Dead sexy. And accurate.

Standing still punching holes in paper has never been fun to me. I didn't learn that way though

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Bic vs Zippo...good analogy.

The plastic Bic: lightweight and compact, no maintenance, no problems, it just works.

The steel Zippo: heavy, higher maintenance (must refuel, replace flint), can be overfilled resulting in a leak that burns your skin, fails at the most inopportune time when the flint runs out.

:stickpoke:
    :): I'll put my Zippo up against a Bic in a 30 mph wind anytime though. And with a spare flint under the cotton, and topping off the fuel (properly - don't overfill) in the morning, and I'm good to go. Besides, when the Bic runs out of fuel, it's worthless. I can "reload". :p

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    :): I'll put my Zippo up against a Bic in a 30 mph wind anytime though. And with a spare flint under the cotton, and topping off the fuel (properly - don't overfill) in the morning, and I'm good to go. Besides, when the Bic runs out of fuel, it's worthless. I can "reload". :p

Have you ever seen a modified bic with s 12" flame? :)

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Probably would have done better if the guy didn't **** with it and add whatever aftermarket parts to it. Or his ****ty reloaded ammo. Just a guess since glocks don't suck without outside help

It was bone stock. I normally run my loads, but that was factory ammo (trying anything to get it to run). 3 of the 4 glocks I've owned have had issues out of the box. only my latest gen 4 G35 worked well out of the box.

if you're bored, you can read my whole crazy glock saga here: https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/shooting-sports/183441-new-production-gun-6.html#post2605467

Went on to make GrandMaster shooting a G34...

Denial.... not just a river in Egypt.

-rvb

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I don't really think Glocks are ugly, but I also don't think they are the best looking gun out there either. I think "we" younger people don't mind them as much because they have been in the movies and very popular since the 90's so it's what we've always associated with a pistol. Therefore it's just not that ugly to us over the "older" crowd :):

I was going to comment on this earlier and didn't. But you can get nice 1911's that work. They are just very expensive. And if I'm honest I do think 1911's are pretty and I don't want to carry a really pretty and expensive gun and make it all ugly. I'll just carry a Glock (not ugly) but I also like them just as much with a good worn look on them, and you can buy at least two for the price of one if not five!

Top Bottom