• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    first i dont want this to become a flame war or a debate. if you do not agree with someone, its ok let it go please...........

what is your idea of the perfect SHTF rifle? obviously there are some givens, such as what you happen to have at the time, reliability, accuracy, and cost possibly. so i dont see the need to beat these into the ground.

so please tell me what your ideal SHTF rifle is?

thanks

jake

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    A Quality AK47. Arsenal on up to custom builders.

That is, IMHO the only true option for what most people consider "SHTF".

Which is in itself, a fantasy.

But if you spend 1000+ on a AK, it will be an excellent weapon for a civilian.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Ideally... I'll be an excellent marksman with whatever rifle I have handy. It's more about you than the gun.

I've gone through this same process myself, and the trick seems to be to orient your skills to what gun you are competant with. Whether I have my bolt action 30-06 or my 16" AR my tactics will adjust to what I have. With my bolt action 30-06 I practice regularly out to 1000 yards and it has plenty of deer killing power at long range, but it's heavy with a slow rate of fire. My 10-22 folds in half and can carry a ton of ammo with very little weight, but it's effective range is within 100 yards and if used for deer would likely require rapid head shots. My AR has a high rate of fire but doesn't have the same power or deer killing range as my 30-06, but it's more powerful than the 10-22.

Whether I have my heavy barreled 30-06, 10-22, or my lightweight AR I don't any less or more safe with either, it's just a matter of what condition I need to use the gun in. The bottom line for a SHTF gun is that you know how to use it and be familiar with it's strengths and weaknesses.

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    If I have to pick one firearm, it's a Mossberg 590A1, just based on versatility.

It's hard to pick one firearm for a SHTF scenario. Can I make it an "In case of emergency break glass" package deal?

Generally would include:
    Shotgun of choice
    Handgun of choice
    Semi-Auto Carbine of choice
    Long Range Precision Rifle of choice

Mine would include:
    Mossberg 590A1 (with the usual SHTF upgrades)
    Glock 21
    AK47 (based solely on knock down, reliability, and durability)
    Remington 700 SPS w/ Night Force glass

TheDude

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Southeast Kentuckiana.
    As much as I love the AK series of rifles, I would have to say a good lever action with a popular caliber. Read 30-30 .308 Etc. No magazines and most are built like tanks and easy to repair.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    My if SHTF rifle is a POLY TECH M-14S, W H Y ??? Cause the 308 win. can do it ALL, It has plenty of power, it's accurate, you can find it anywhere, Now the M-14 or M1A is an EXCELLENT rifle.

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    Im sticking with a subgun in the 9mm range (for me thats an UZI, but I can see a mp5, a mac, or a similar gun filling that role). The argument being its a gun I have a lot of trigger time with, and am therefore comfortable on, 9mm is relatively small so over-penetration is less of a concern yet still packs a punch, its something ammo is everywhere for (being it salvaging, buying as I flee, etc), and lets be honest, the idea of long range work in a SHTF situation is kinda far fetched. Maybe in the post SHTF world id switch over to something like an AR, but to get to that point I would be reaching for my trusty uzi.

Kase

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Crawfordsville
    I myself, would choose the good old fashioned BAR. They've proved their worth already, and are one hell of a scary gun to take on lol

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I personally like the idea of my 10/22 based on the economics of the ammo, reliability and accuracy. I also like my T/C Contender carbine in 6.5 TCU which is all the cartridge I think I'll ever need.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    My specific go to gun is my colt 6920. I've got it setup with a burris 2-7x ballistic plex reticle scope and making hits out to 500 yards isn't a problem with that gun at all. The effect the bullet will have at that range is debateable though.

The reason I chose that is because it's a good solid rifle, and I have more ammo & mags for it than anything else in my inventory. I really have a hard time with the idea of picking a shotgun or 9mm as a go to rifle, because if SHTF I don't want a short range weapon. I can't imagine the horrible feeling I'd have in my gut watching a deer walk away at 350 yards when my family is hungry and we could have gotten a meal. My AR isn't ideal for that, but it'd work.

That's why my second choice would probably be my heavy barreled 30-06. If I can see it through the scope on that rifle, I can probably punch a hole in it. In either case, I'd feel reasonably content with either rifle.

phred

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Columbus
    Probably a lever action or a Ruger Scout. All in a caliber that can be easily found or scrounged if your left behind.

Scott

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    I don't think there ever is a perfect weapon for everything scenario. Regardless of what your shtf rifle is, there is something else to can perform a given role under a shtf situation better.

Right now mine a 5.56 AR

Ideally if money wasn't a major problem-

-5.56 AR-15
    -FN SCAR H
    -.308 or 30.06 bolt gun
    -.45 handgun
    -thousands of rounds

It all depends on what the shtf situation is. Are you mobile? Are entrenched in your home? Do you know how long the situation will last?

alan robert

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Indiana
    This reminds me of a western movie in a small town and everybody shows up with different types of guns that they like and can shoot, to fight the bad guys. lol

When the SHTF, whatever you have on hand is your choice. Just bring enough ammo. The rest is up to you.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    Quite a few good reliable choices have already been mentioned that would make great SHTF firearms.

That being said, in the unlikely SHTF scenario, surplus of ammunition and basic replacement parts / tools would be as important as the rifle.

A broken or hungry rifle does very little good.

nickl16

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Me personally I would love to have the SCAR 17 for a scenario such as this... stopping power would not be an issue

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    If it were a true SHTF situation and I thought I'd be able to get ammo I'd take my PolyTech folder AK.

If I were concerned about getting the 7.62x39 ammo I'd take my Colt Gov Carbine.

If I was really concerned about rifle ammo availability I'd take my Colt 9mm Carbine and a good 9mm pistol.

:twocents: YMMV :yesway:

Top Bottom