• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    If the SHTF means total riots, everyone killing everyone for food an survival...I would have to choose my M1 Garand, with my AP ammo...all the ammo is already loaded in enblocs an in bandalers that can be carried around the chest an shoulders, ammo will go through cars, houses,...u just can't hide an be shooting back at me for long. I wouldn't mind having my AR on my back though, or the AK, but I don't have very many mags an in a long gun fight I would soon have to stop to try an reload the mags...never have to do that with the Garand, just keep feeding the enblocs...this would be my weapon of choice for me.

picture.php

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    AR

1) It follows the same manual of arms as our military uses, so same mags ammo and parts.

2) It is accurate, reliable and light.

3) It has the ability to use .22lr via a conversion kit for small game hunting.

All the above in conjunction with a good 9mm pistol, because again that is the issued caliber our military uses with their sidearms, makes for a logical load out.

But, like our friendly British barrister mentioned, it would be smart to be in a group of like armed folks for support and what not.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Heres my reasoning for the guns I own in case of SHTF. Mossberg 12ga 500, simple and popular should be easy to scavenge 12 ga. Ruger P95 in 9mm, Military uses 9mm, should be easy to find live rounds laying around after a skirmish, same way with 5.56 for my AR. I have 3 in .22 still cheap enough to keep buying plenty to stock pile. .45 auto very poular round, again probably easy enough to scavenge parts and ammo. And finally my 98K only cost me $300.00 practicaly indestructable Mauser action. Surplus ammo still cheap enough to stockpile. However there are a few more I'd like to get for this situation. AK 47 because I again could probaly find stock piles of ammo to scavange after all the gang bangers that can't hit the broad side of a barn are taken out. And something in .308 simply because I like some of the guns that shoot that round, espeacilly the FAL! But I pray that day never comes! :patriot:

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    A lot of choices. Looking at what I have on hand I would have a hard time deciding on just one long gun.
    I usually pack a short barrel AR, sometimes a light barreled Colt carbine. At other times it's an M1A Scout.
    I wouldn't completely rule out a Garand but the limiting factor is you need many, many enblocs, and then the time will still come when you run out if you can't recover enough of them.
    An AK variant makes a lot of sense, 7.62 or 5.45. Both would suffice.
    An RPD or 1919 for defending a static position?

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    If the SHTF means total riots, everyone killing everyone for food an survival...I would have to choose my M1 Garand, with my AP ammo...all the ammo is already loaded in enblocs an in bandalers that can be carried around the chest an shoulders, ammo will go through cars, houses,...u just can't hide an be shooting back at me for long. I wouldn't mind having my AR on my back though, or the AK, but I don't have very many mags an in a long gun fight I would soon have to stop to try an reload the mags...never have to do that with the Garand, just keep feeding the enblocs...this would be my weapon of choice for me.

picture.php
    I have a M1 it was the best WWII rifle, BUT now it's 2011, while the M1 is accurate, powerful, it's low-tech:( It's too HEAVY, BULKY, LONG, & you can't reload or add ammo to the en-bloc until you shot your last round:noway:

randyb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    One gun for SHF can do it all, it just can't do it all well. That being said the things I look for are:
    ammo availability
    accuracy
    rate of fire
    durability
    self defense and hunting uses
    Ability to carry lots of ammo. I have never read/heard of anyone saying "I wish I had carried less ammo into a gun fight"

For me that means, it needs a magazine to reload quickly, able to kill deer size game, and accurate. For me that means an AR as my go to gun. I would feel as good with an AK or an M1A. For that matter, my Marlin 30-30 or .44would work well too. For me it is a tiered system. I like my Marlin 39M for its ability to shoot subsonic ammo quietly and kill small game, my AR for longer range stuff, my 870 for at home, my 9mm for personal carry, etc. Bottom line is as long as it fits your needs and you understand its strengths, you can make it work.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    I have plenty of guns, N O one gun can do it all, BUT if limited to one gun, the .308 win rounds has it all, easy to find, accurate, powerful, perfect for hunting, 20 round mag for firepower. I have FAL, POLY-TECH, SPRINGFIELD ARMORY, CETME, SPECIAL WEAPONS semi-autos, I like the 308 win. round

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    I have a M1 it was the best WWII rifle, BUT now it's 2011, while the M1 is accurate, powerful, it's low-tech:( It's too HEAVY, BULKY, LONG, & you can't reload or add ammo to the en-bloc until you shot your last round:noway:

The OP asked not to bash anyone for there choice of weapons choice...so since you did...the Garand isn't going to be any heavier than a fully loaded up AR with all the gear on it...u should know that, thou "low tech" its 30/06 rounds with AP is going to rip through stuff that others rifles will not..an you are wrong again on not being able to reload or add ammo until your last shot...if you have any amount of rounds u can't exit the enbloc with those rounds in it at anytime an throw in a fresh enbloc....r u sure u even have a Garand....or just dreaming u do??? So how is the M1A you claim to have not HEAVY, BULKY, LONG compared to the Garand...they are virtually the same weight, bulky an are even longer than the Garand.....?

Last edited:

Fireaxes

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2010
    Wabash County
    Eh, there should be plenty of once fired ARs and AKs laying around on dead bodies. With the huge numbers that were sold to everbody the last few years.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Not trying to flame or bash but, but anyone who doesn't get the virtues of a semi auto, accurate, 30-06 wouldn't be at the top of my list for SHTF advice.

I have a semi auto DPMS 308 that shoots very accurately well beyond normal shooting ranges. As confident as I am with and about that gun I'd be terrified going up against someone with a garand who knew how to use it. It's all about the man not the gun.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Me personally I would love to have the SCAR 17 for a scenario such as this... stopping power would not be an issue
    While I agree about the stopping power the rifle goes from light to heavy real quick when you load up that 20 round mag with .308. I wouldn't want to have to carry ALL my ammo over a long range.

AR

1) It follows the same manual of arms as our military uses, so same mags ammo and parts.

2) It is accurate, reliable and light.

3) It has the ability to use .22lr via a conversion kit for small game hunting.

All the above in conjunction with a good 9mm pistol, because again that is the issued caliber our military uses with their sidearms, makes for a logical load out.

But, like our friendly British barrister mentioned, it would be smart to be in a group of like armed folks for support and what not.

/thread. Great post.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    What kind of accuracy are you looking for? Are you wanting to make one clean hole at 200 yards? I'm saying this, because in a SD situation. It's about stopping the threat, not making a pretty little hole. The BG is not going to stop, and go wait, your rounds did not go into the same hole. Do it again, until you get it right. While the AR platform is typically more accurate then the AK platform. I would pick up an AK before an AR. The whole "AK's are not accurate" is nothing more then hype. It all depends on the quality of the AK. I own a Maadi ARM (Egyptian) They where built by Russians, using Russian machinery. For an AK, is more then accurate. The other thing to think about is this.

Lets say you have to bug out, and are limited on what you can carry. The fact is, the AR style platform requires much more maintenance to work properly. So, if you have to go for long periods of time, and have no way to properly maintain your rifle. Then what do you do? I have seen clean and well maintained AR's jam. I realize that it could have been do to the ammo, or an issue with a mag. I have never once in my life, seen any AK not run 100% reliably. No matter what ammo was used. Since I have owned my AK, I have ran roughly 1,000-1,5000 rounds through it. I have never cleaned it, except for occasionally running a bore snake through the barrel. It gets shot, and put back into the safe.

I'm not an AR hater. Fact is though, you can get a good AK for a reasonable price. Plus, I have been getting my ammo for $5 a box for 20 rounds. When funds are available, I will purchase or build an AR, but it will not be my go to SHTF rifle. That's what my AK is for. I also like the fact, that the AK fires an intermediate round. It packs plenty enough punch to get the job done. If I needed a little more stopping power, or had to shoot past 150-200 yards. Then I would grab my Mosin 91/59. Which is unlikely that I would ever shoot past those ranges in a SD situation. Considering there are many more factors to consider.

If I was in your shoes, I would look at the 6.5 over the 6.8. The 6.5 holds more energy past 600 yards compared to the .308. From what I have read. The 6.8 was designed for intermediate ranges. The 6.5 has the punch of the 7.62x39 at close ranges, but has the range and punch of the .308. Unless you are floating in money, or you can reload. I would not recommend either the 6.5 or the 6.8. My :twocents:

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Not trying to flame or bash but, but anyone who doesn't get the virtues of a semi auto, accurate, 30-06 wouldn't be at the top of my list for SHTF advice.

I have a semi auto DPMS 308 that shoots very accurately well beyond normal shooting ranges. As confident as I am with and about that gun I'd be terrified going up against someone with a garand who knew how to use it. It's all about the man not the gun.
    picture.php

Yep...some 12 yr. old kid with a 10/22 could knock somebody off who thought they had the best gun out there....I think in this day an age, there are alot of shooters that have shot the AK's an AR's....great rifles...but have never fired a M1A or M1 Garand an seen the power an damage that round can do...we shot into some 1.25" steel...AR steel core ammo made it about 3/8" into the steel.....heres the other side with Garand AP....hang on I'll post a pic....its all about what works for you!!!!

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    The OP asked not to bash anyone for there choice of weapons choice...so since you did...the Garand isn't going to be any heavier than a fully loaded up AR with all the gear on it...u should know that, thou "low tech" its 30/06 rounds with AP is going to rip through stuff that others rifles will not..an you are wrong again on not being able to reload or add ammo until your last shot...if you have any amount of rounds u can't exit the enbloc with those rounds in it at anytime an throw in a fresh enbloc....r u sure u even have a Garand....or just dreaming u do??? So how is the M1A you claim to have not HEAVY, BULKY, LONG compared to the Garand...they are virtually the same weight, bulky an are even longer than the Garand.....?

It's my opinon, NOT bashing anyone:rolleyes: once you have an en-bloc in the M1, you can't top it off or remove the en-bloc until you finish shooting all 8 rounds. I rather have a M1A with a 20 round mag, that I can top off at anytime or change ammo type anytime I want, While the M1 will do the job, My opinon it would not be the best choice;) H O P E this clears the air:twocents:

strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    relax kids its your SHTF no one elses :)

Ak's i had a bad experience with an AK clone. i'm not saying i would never buy one but i can say at this point I'm leery of them tho. maybe if i could shoot a good one I dunno
    AR's would love to have one, but they are spendy for me right now

AR's and AK's both have their good and bad points and i think either would be fine

some of the other guns mentioned, never thought of them to be honest. interesting thought with them though and those folks made a strong case for them.

what ever works for others is good with me............ there is no one size fits all here.

i dont have alot of guns like some of you, i hope to someday i would love to have an AR or maybe an AK or maybe the Sig 556 or a scar :) yea i'd be thrilled with anything!

here is what i have right now
    870 with extended magazine
    30.06 bolt
    sig P220 .45
    EEA witness basically a cz in .40
    Beretta .380

your all ahead of me :)

i am enjoying this thread thank you all

jake

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    relax kids its your SHTF no one elses :)

Ak's i had a bad experience with an AK clone. i'm not saying i would never buy one but i can say at this point I'm leery of them tho. maybe if i could shoot a good one I dunno
    AR's would love to have one, but they are spendy for me right now

AR's and AK's both have their good and bad points and i think either would be fine

some of the other guns mentioned, never thought of them to be honest. interesting thought with them though and those folks made a strong case for them.

what ever works for others is good with me............ there is no one size fits all here.

i dont have alot of guns like some of you, i hope to someday i would love to have an AR or maybe an AK or maybe the Sig 556 or a scar :) yea i'd be thrilled with anything!

here is what i have right now
    870 with extended magazine
    30.06 bolt
    sig P220 .45
    EEA witness basically a cz in .40
    Beretta .380

your all ahead of me :)

i am enjoying this thread thank you all

jake

If you don't want to spend alot of money, then you can get an SKS & buy some 30 round mags or buy a REMINGTON 74, 740, 742, 7400 in calibers 308 win or 30-06 & buy some 10 round mags:twocents:

Top Bottom