• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    It's my opinon, NOT bashing anyone:rolleyes: once you have an en-bloc in the M1, you can't top it off or remove the en-bloc until you finish shooting all 8 rounds. I rather have a M1A with a 20 round mag, that I can top off at anytime or change ammo type anytime I want, While the M1 will do the job, My opinon it would not be the best choice;) H O P E this clears the air:twocents:

No problem...but I have Garands, an you can eject the enbloc of rds. at anytime an put in a fully loaded enbloc anytime...you do not have to wait until the last rd. is fired to do that...its called depressing the clip latch, enbloc an any rounds are ejected from the open bolt....every Garand owner knows this, or at least should......The Garand is not the best choice for many, but it is for me because I've got the ammo an the "skills"
    icon10.gif

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    No problem...but I have Garands, an you can eject the enbloc of rds. at anytime an put in a fully loaded enbloc anytime...you do not have to wait until the last rd. is fired to do that...its called depressing the clip latch, enbloc an any rounds are ejected from the open bolt....every Garand owner knows this, or at least should......The Garand is not the best choice for many, but it is for me because I've got the ammo an the "skills"
    icon10.gif

I just learn something new, i didn't know the en-bloc could be ejected with rounds still in it.

DHolder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Mooresville - MSG2 Hub
    For me SHTF means taking game and self defense. I have chosen in that case, the Savage, Mod 24.chambered in .223 and 12ga. A reliable combo that will provide a shotgun as well as a medium range rifle. This would not be a go to gun for zombies, but to put meat on the table and be able to survive, I find more important than spray and pray. :twocents:

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    I just learn something new, i didn't know the en-bloc could be ejected with rounds still in it.

When this is done, watch out, because the enbloc an rounds will eject fast an hard...watch your face. With bolt back keep your right thumb pulled back an holding the OP rod handle, put fingers of left hand just above the enbloc of unfired rounds an depress clip latch with left thumb, your fingers stop the enbloc an unfired rounds from flying up an all over the place.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    Assuming my dream SHTF situation doesn't include a gassed up moving van to fit all of my belongings, and I had to leave RIGHT now, I'd grab an AK and my beretta m9 (my only 9, and due to more popular cartridge). I'd take an underfolder due to size, and weight. Though a sacrifice in accuracy, i feel more confident in neglecting an AK than any other rifle i own.
    I agree with the previous post saying something to the effect of "depends what everyone else in my group has"! The lone wolf thing is pretty barbaric and manly, but teamwork is where it's at... I'd do all I could to make sure a .22 and a .308 came along with someone if at all possible.

Runner up rifle would be a FAL! ;)

Redneckbuckeye

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 19, 2009
    Sheridan
    When I think about it ammo is key, you want ammo that is readily available. I lime .22lr, 223/556, and 9mm, 12 ga would also be a good one. If I couldn't have a 556/223 then a 7.62x39Ak

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    icon10.gif
    The problem I see with the Garand is the fact that it is not suposed to shoot full power 30-06 round, because it will damage the gas system. so in a SHTF situation you might be limited to the ammo you have stock piled. Also I have been told the you can top off an M1. I do not know how to do it, but I was going to borrow a buddies Garand to go to a John C. Garand match at Wildcat last year. And most people that shoot those matches have special end blocks to shoot the 2 & 8 strings of fire. And since I was borrowing the gun I did not have the speacial end blocks, the guys up there said to come up any way and the would show me how to do it. In any case a Garand is stiil on my list, along with a Mosin to add to my WWII battle rifle collection, which only consists of my 98K at present.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    Don't forget the Schuester and McCann gas plugs for the Garand that allow you to tune the gas system to use non-USGI spec ammo. They are quick to install and easy to tune. They give you a lot more options.

Edit : Don't hold me to this, but it seems like I've heard of an adjustable gas plug for the M1A. Maybe someone with better knowledge on this can chime in.

Last edited:

cranduit

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Can't I just load up my tactical wheelbarrow (it IS black, you know) and have it all?

Other than that, it would be whatever I feel more comfortable with at the time, I have an AK and AR, I'm probably more well versed on the AR. but if I don't have to leave my house in the country, the 870 and M&P would be just fine with an old scoped Marlin 22 of some sort to hunt little food (we have lots of rabbits and squirrels).

I hope I'm never in a SHTF scenario where I need a 1000yd range gun. Seems like I should be dead way before that happens. Come to think of it, I probably wouldn't have to even leave the house for 99.99% of them, so I don't even need just one!

fergie22

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2010
    walkerton
    hand gun 9mm and 22 lr
    shotgun 12 ga

rifle 7.62x39 or .223 and a 22 lr
    only because they are the most popular and you can from the kia`s
    :twocents:

Gator762

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    Use what u have. Shoot as much as you can. Me a vz2008,savage22-250 with glass,rem870 ex tube,marlin22lr and a glock22. I have others but thats what i shoot the most so that is what i would take. And u always need a few good knives. there are better guns out there, but that is what i choose. Every gun i said would drop anything i needed to. grab what u need not what you want.

Gator762

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    Oh,mosins (91/30,m44,m39)make great SHTF gun thay are tuff,cheap,accurate and you can find ammo about anywhere.

cgbills

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Avon
    Something to think about when it comes to a SHTF rifle, logistics. If Society descends to the point of say the Zombie apocalypse, if you do not have ammo stockpiled you will have to scavenge. Think about what most Military and police will be carrying and what most military and police ammo stockpiles will be. The answer is 5.56. Food for thought. I would have a main assault rifle in 5.56 and something that would be easy to scavenge replacement parts for. AR parts are everywhere and Military and Police also stockpile these.

With that being said I would also have a .22 for small game

Last edited:

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Just going off of what I already own. I would have my sks as primary wepon( cause I have a rediculos ammount of ammo, and 10 20rd mags full at all times,lol) I would have my 1911 on my hip, and my 300win mag for long range shooting. as well as some sort of way to carry as much ammo as possible. so would have to inlist the ol lady to cary a back pack or something as well as myself. The main thing would be ammo storage, mobility, quanity on hand, and availability. But I would think if SHTF that we would prolly hold up somewere posibly( or not who knows). So it would be easier to keep stuff on hand, but if not deffinatly need a way to carry stuff. Prolly have a .22 on hand for portability and ammo availability. But Idealy I would want a AR in 5.56, so hopfully SHTF till I get the money to get one,lol

Kveldulf

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2011
    Tippecanoe County
    An important thing to consider about caliber is that one may be too popular for it's own good. Take 223 for rifles. It's popular enough that when the SHTF, A TON of it will be used. It will be hoarded and scavenged by civilians and military/police alike. What about 308? I bet it's popular enough to be easily found, but not so popular that it'll be hard to find in that type of situation.

Top Bottom