• ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    An important thing to consider about caliber is that one may be too popular for it's own good. Take 223 for rifles. It's popular enough that when the SHTF, A TON of it will be used. It will be hoarded and scavenged by civilians and military/police alike. What about 308? I bet it's popular enough to be easily found, but not so popular that it'll be hard to find in that type of situation.

Sounds like a good argument for a K31 in 6.5 Swiss as the MBR.:)

23mar03

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Going at it alone would be crazy in Indiana. There are some remote areas in the state, but no where that you wouldn't be found.
    I'd have to go with a 22lr as the overall go to round. Effective, cheap, and you can carry a huge amount to keep someone at bay long enough for your friends to show up with their pretty AR's and AK's.
    I also would sling my 91/30 over my shoulder for some punch.
    :twocents:

Last edited:

pack-indy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Shoshone NF
    This

IMG_5960.jpg

and this

IMG_6650.jpg

:ar15::D

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    That would work just F I N E, but what are you going to use the necklace for:dunno:

I was wondering about that too. Didn't superwoman have a similar necklace?

On a more serious note, how do you like that 930 SPX? I've gone back and forth about buying one.

grizman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Home
    The key is preparation no matter what you choose. You have to plan ahead, stashes along the way to your BOL, stock at your BOL. Even though 9mm and 5.56 will be in high demand there will still be more opportunities to scavenge it down the road due to all those horded stock piles. Not everyone with huge stock piles will survive for long, some folks have the hardware but lack the skills and the mind set to do what will be required to make it thru a SHTF episode.
    It takes more than weapons and ammo to fend of raiders and the hoard of unprepared we will surely see when it all goes down the drain. Lets not forget that in the long run we will face nature's predators as well including pet dogs gone Feral with no fear of people searching for food.

FWIW, I wouldn't use any form of GPS in a SHTF either. Learn to land nav with compass and maps! Big Bro can find your GPS to find you!

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    I would say my 458 socom would be on top of my list, then my Remy 700 for long range shooting and close combat would be my M&P15T as well as my Sig handguns.

pack-indy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Shoshone NF
    That would work just F I N E, but what are you going to use the necklace for:dunno:

I was wondering about that too. Didn't superwoman have a similar necklace?

On a more serious note, how do you like that 930 SPX? I've gone back and forth about buying one.

*Ahem* Its a head band mmmk. I won't comment on that, however, the 930SPX runs like a champ. I have been a Mossberg fan for a long time, but will shoot anything you give me. I keep finding that one in my hand somehow :D I had an Eotech 552 sitting on top of it until one of my ARs needed an optic. I plan to do something similar with it in the future with and XPS maybe.

Gator762

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    You're rite griman. Everyone in the house needs to learn how to shoot and do some training. The more people knowing to take care of them self the better the family will be.All my kids and wife know how to shoot and have thair own guns and knows how to hit with them.

Jerry D Young

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2009
    Reno, NV
    PTR-91, since they are available and I have one.

What I would like would be one of two (or both) custom built arms.

Custom Main Battle Rifle (7.62x51 MBR): adjustable gas piston select fire action with non-reciprocating ambidextrous charging handle, auto hold open on empty magazine. Ambidextrous bolt release. Ambidextrous safety. Forward assist. M-14 stripper clip guide and M-14 sights. 22” barrel with the tri-compensator of the BM-59/62 with bayonet lug to take a custom 12” OKC-3S style bayonet. A full length barrel-in-line polymer stock with pistol grip and integrated picatinny rails that don’t interfere with the stripper clip feed. Accept a bipod. Use M-14 free fall magazines with bolt hold open followers, and have an ambidextrous magazine release. (Probably have to be semi-auto only)

Custom ‘Politically Correct/Scout’ Rifle: .350 Remington Magnum lever action rifle based on the combined features of the Savage 99, Browning BLR, & Johnson 1941 rifle, w/Integrally suppressed 20" barrel, off-set stripper clip loading 10-round rotary magazine with cutoff, ghost ring peep sights, Leupold Mark 4 1-3x14 CQ-T QD scope on receiver on see-through mount w/ATN PS40-4 Night Vision front scope system, three point sling on push-button swivels, polymer Mannlicher fore stock w/attachment for bipod & custom 12" OKC-3S bayonet, polymer butt stock w/internal recoil reducer and recoil reducing butt pad, 24-round tip out butt stock shell carrier w/20-rounds + 4 .380 ACP adapters sold as a package. (Probably have to be w/o the suppressed barrel or night vision)

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Nothing better than a 12 gauge or 2. Never will there be a shortage of ammo for it, and it's a payload based munition so its versatility is only limited by what you can find to shoot.

A rifled pump/bolt and a semi-auto smoothbore should have you ready to rock and roll for any situation imaginable. Don't let anyone tell you that 12 gauge has a limited range, that's what they said about the 45-70 too, when there's been plenty of shots taken at 1000+ yards.

With buckshot, the effective wounding range for 00 buck with a full choke rivals most rifles, granted we're talking wounding ability not killing ability. Push rifled slugs through a smooth bore and you'll be able to reach out to 300 yards quite easily. Run sabots through a rifled barrel and the maximum effective range is decided solely by the shooter.

Plus, I'd like to see them try to ban 12 gauge ammunition. It just won't happen. All in all, it's the do-all round for the average joe who isn't looking for sub MOA 300+ yard benchrest shooting. As far as dealing with body armor, sure it isn't AP, but it's been proven conclusively it does more damage to someone wearing body armor than someone who isn't, especially with slugs.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    You're rite griman. Everyone in the house needs to learn how to shoot and do some training. The more people knowing to take care of them self the better the family will be.All my kids and wife know how to shoot and have thair own guns and knows how to hit with them.

I should be teaching my WIFE & SON how to reload on the two DILLON 550:D

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    Here's my choice, and my reason for making it.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLsSJ2BZGIY[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLsSJ2BZGIY"][/ame]

Eric J

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Bloomington
    SMLE (.303 British), I'm already well kitted for it. Fair accuracy, good reliability, tough, faster than you might think. Mines already knows what its like, I prefer to keep experienced company.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom