Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    OK. I read your posts and have to say I share in your loathing of big brother. I have stated I view it in its current state as a cancerous tumor sucking the life out of us.
    In this we agree.

Now, serious question.......how would you replace them. And with what...???

A better question: Why would you replace them?

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    Just an interesting factoid in the debate about "national emergency" powers and the immigration crisis. Did you know that we currently live under threat of 28 national emergencies? I didn't.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2019...e-plain-language-and-clear-intent-of-the-law/

Yes, presidents abuse the law anyway. And Congress refuses to stop them. And each past abuse is used to justify future abuses. We live under 28 separate states of emergency now, with one dating back to the Iranian hostage crisis.

Who knew we had that many "emergencies"? I sure didn't, lol!

307SD

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2016
    Down by the river.
    Just an interesting factoid in the debate about "national emergency" powers and the immigration crisis. Did you know that we currently live under threat of 28 national emergencies? I didn't.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2019...e-plain-language-and-clear-intent-of-the-law/

My google-foo is not that good, but a quicky brought up these two sources.

https://www.cnn.com/2017/08/12/politics/national-emergencies-trump-opioid/index.html

https://www.pri.org/stories/2019-01-11/us-currently-31-other-national-emergencies-heres-what-means

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI

Yes, presidents abuse the law anyway. And Congress refuses to stop them. And each past abuse is used to justify future abuses. We live under 28 separate states of emergency now, with one dating back to the Iranian hostage crisis.

The point is that Congress gave the President this Cart Blanche power!

When democrats use it "crickets", when Trump mentions it, All H*** breaks loose, complete with wringing of hands and gnashing of teeth.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    CLINTON
    1. Blocking Iranian Government Property (Nov. 14, 1979)

2. Proliferation of Weapons of Mass Destruction (Nov. 14, 1994)
    3. Prohibiting Transactions with Terrorists Who Threaten to Disrupt the Middle East Peace Process (Jan. 23, 1995)
    4. Prohibiting Certain Transactions with Respect to the Development of Iranian Petroleum Resources (Mar. 15, 1995)
    5. Blocking Assets and Prohibiting Transactions with Significant Narcotics Traffickers (Oct. 21, 1995)
    6. Regulations of the Anchorage and Movement of Vessels with Respect to Cuba (Mar. 1, 1996)
    7. Blocking Sudanese Government Property and Prohibiting Transactions with Sudan (Nov. 3, 1997)

BUSH
    8. Blocking Property of Persons Who Threaten International Stabilization Efforts in the Western Balkans (Jun. 26, 2001)
    9. Continuation of Export Control Regulations (Aug. 17, 2001)
    10. Declaration of National Emergency by Reason of Certain Terrorist Attacks (Sept. 14, 2001)
    11. Blocking Property and Prohibiting Transactions with Persons who Commit, Threaten to Commit, or Support Terrorism (Sept. 23, 2001)
    12. Blocking Property of Persons Undermining Democratic Processes or Institutions in Zimbabwe (Mar. 6, 2003)
    13. Protecting the Development Fund for Iraq and Certain Other Property in Which Iraq has an Interest (May 22, 2003)
    14. Blocking Property of Certain Persons and Prohibiting the Export of Certain Goods to Syria (May 11, 2004)
    15. Blocking Property of Certain Persons Undermining Democratic Processes or Institutions in Belarus (Jun. 16, 2006)
    16. Blocking Property of Certain Persons Contributing to the Conflict in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (Oct. 27, 2006)
    17. Blocking Property of Persons Undermining the Sovereignty of Lebanon or Its Democratic Processes and Institutions (Aug. 1, 2007)

OBAMA
    18. Continuing Certain Restrictions with Respect to North Korea and North Korean Nationals (Jun. 26, 2008)
    19. Blocking Property of Certain Persons Contributing to the Conflict in Somalia (Apr. 12, 2010)
    20. Blocking Property and Prohibiting Certain Transactions Related to Libya (Feb. 25, 2011)
    21. Blocking Property of Transnational Criminal Organizations (Jul. 25, 2011)
    22. Blocking Property of Persons Threatening the Peace, Security, or Stability of Yemen (May 16, 2012)
    23. Blocking Property of Certain Persons Contributing to the Situation in Ukraine (Mar. 6, 2014)
    24. Blocking Property of Certain Persons With Respect to South Sudan (Apr. 3, 2014)
    25. Blocking Property of Certain Persons Contributing to the Conflict in the Central African Republic (May 12, 2014)
    26. Blocking Property and Suspending Entry of Certain Persons Contributing to the Situation in Venezuela (Mar. 9, 2015)
    27. Blocking the Property of Certain Persons Engaging in Significant Malicious Cyber-Enabled Activities (Apr. 1, 2015)
    28. Blocking Property of Certain Persons Contributing to the Situation in Burundi (Nov. 23, 2015)

​TRUMP

ETA: I think (I do not know) that when it says blocking property, it means putting a hold on their financial assets.

Last edited:

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Trumps should read: Blocking Sovereign property of the United States from illegal entry by establishing a proper border barrier.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    CLINTON
    1. Blocking Iranian Government Property (Nov. 14, 1979)

2. Proliferation of Weapons of Mass Destruction (Nov. 14, 1994)
    3. Prohibiting Transactions with Terrorists Who Threaten to Disrupt the Middle East Peace Process (Jan. 23, 1995)
    4. Prohibiting Certain Transactions with Respect to the Development of Iranian Petroleum Resources (Mar. 15, 1995)
    5. Blocking Assets and Prohibiting Transactions with Significant Narcotics Traffickers (Oct. 21, 1995)
    6. Regulations of the Anchorage and Movement of Vessels with Respect to Cuba (Mar. 1, 1996)
    7. Blocking Sudanese Government Property and Prohibiting Transactions with Sudan (Nov. 3, 1997)

BUSH
    8. Blocking Property of Persons Who Threaten International Stabilization Efforts in the Western Balkans (Jun. 26, 2001)
    9. Continuation of Export Control Regulations (Aug. 17, 2001)
    10. Declaration of National Emergency by Reason of Certain Terrorist Attacks (Sept. 14, 2001)
    11. Blocking Property and Prohibiting Transactions with Persons who Commit, Threaten to Commit, or Support Terrorism (Sept. 23, 2001)
    12. Blocking Property of Persons Undermining Democratic Processes or Institutions in Zimbabwe (Mar. 6, 2003)
    13. Protecting the Development Fund for Iraq and Certain Other Property in Which Iraq has an Interest (May 22, 2003)
    14. Blocking Property of Certain Persons and Prohibiting the Export of Certain Goods to Syria (May 11, 2004)
    15. Blocking Property of Certain Persons Undermining Democratic Processes or Institutions in Belarus (Jun. 16, 2006)
    16. Blocking Property of Certain Persons Contributing to the Conflict in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (Oct. 27, 2006)
    17. Blocking Property of Persons Undermining the Sovereignty of Lebanon or Its Democratic Processes and Institutions (Aug. 1, 2007)

OBAMA
    18. Continuing Certain Restrictions with Respect to North Korea and North Korean Nationals (Jun. 26, 2008)
    19. Blocking Property of Certain Persons Contributing to the Conflict in Somalia (Apr. 12, 2010)
    20. Blocking Property and Prohibiting Certain Transactions Related to Libya (Feb. 25, 2011)
    21. Blocking Property of Transnational Criminal Organizations (Jul. 25, 2011)
    22. Blocking Property of Persons Threatening the Peace, Security, or Stability of Yemen (May 16, 2012)
    23. Blocking Property of Certain Persons Contributing to the Situation in Ukraine (Mar. 6, 2014)
    24. Blocking Property of Certain Persons With Respect to South Sudan (Apr. 3, 2014)
    25. Blocking Property of Certain Persons Contributing to the Conflict in the Central African Republic (May 12, 2014)
    26. Blocking Property and Suspending Entry of Certain Persons Contributing to the Situation in Venezuela (Mar. 9, 2015)
    27. Blocking the Property of Certain Persons Engaging in Significant Malicious Cyber-Enabled Activities (Apr. 1, 2015)
    28. Blocking Property of Certain Persons Contributing to the Situation in Burundi (Nov. 23, 2015)

​TRUMP

ETA: I think (I do not know) that when it says blocking property, it means putting a hold on their financial assets.
    It could also be interpreted to say blocking access to property. :)

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN

307, I think you missed my point. If you asked me how many current, ongoing "national emergencies" there are, I would have said zero. Maybe a few ongoing relief efforts from past emergencies like the California fires and PR hurricane. Especially once I find out that the opioid crisis is a "public health emergency" instead of a "national"... I would think that if there were 28 ongoing national emergencies, most people would be able to list at least half of them without using google.

I've resisted googling what they are while I rack my brain.

The point is that Congress gave the President this Cart Blanche power!

When democrats use it "crickets", when Trump mentions it, All H*** breaks loose, complete with wringing of hands and gnashing of teeth.

I partially agree and partially disagree.

On the agree side, ANYTHING Trump does results in a "but, but, but Trump", so normal rules don't apply reaction in the MSM. Like he's under the microscope by a bat s**t cr@*y ex who criticizes him for still breathing, lol!

On the disagree side, it does seem like the ACTION he wants to take for the national emergency is unprecedented, but I haven't looked into that in any depth, so it could just be that previous presidential actions were just whitewashed by the MSM.

ETA: had this up for awhile and missed that you posted the list.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN

Gee, how did I miss this! Lol!

Reading thru the list, the only two that immediately appeared to be "national emergencies" to me, were the Bush 9/11 terrorist one and the Obama cyber-terror/hacker one. Though both of those should have long since "matured" into security concerns dealt with by congress/security forces, etc and should not still be in emergency (condition red).

ETA: so if your point is that past Presidents often used something comparable to a "stubbed toe" to evoke a "national emergency", I agree. And, I also agree that the current immigration situation "trumps" 95% of the pretexts for previous national emergency declarations, with very few exceptions like the two above.

Last edited:

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    In the case hurricanes, earthquakes or wildfires the president has the ability to declare emergencies and designate material and financial relief for the States affected, but, not to repeal an invasion?

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    The national emergency that Trump is calling into action is Congresses unwillingness to seriously deal with a perpetual festering illegal entry issue.

IndianaGlock85

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2018
    Madison
    It really seems like this shutdown isnt stopping anytime soon. Should be interesting to see who blinks first. It seems like the democrats are just so desperate to not let trump be seen as the winner they will oppose anything he does. Like the troop withdrawals from overseas which is something liberals have whined about for years but then become hawkish when Trump actually does it.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Can the president declare an emergency and lock the 2 houses of Congress in their chambers until they come to an agreement? Sounds like a good plan. And ban the media from entering except for the cameras inside that broadcast the meetings.

Top Bottom