So I got the cops called on me ....Again.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Sometimes hard to really nail down who exactly it is complaining. The responding department is supposed to keep it confidential in case you're one of those people that'll go teach them the error of their ways.

speakerman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2012
    I know I live near town, but very rural(actually near a state park and resivoir), but I have neighbors. Everyone knows when someone shoots, and nobody just shoots for fun, Except one neighbor. I think if you are friendly, and are a good neighbor and show that you exercise safety measures, your good. Light off 20 rounds in the dirt pile while betty is doing dishes is just going to get the raging ragging monster irritated. Remember, get the guys on your side, cause you can't talk any sense into Betty the rag monster. Even if you live in the country, we are soo populated, you have to consider others.

That being said, I have 300 acres of woods, near a residential community and a golf course with a billion tresspassers. I will light up the 460 S&W and dump 30 rounds out of the AR in a heartbeat about every 3 months to remind those folks, this is my land, and I pack!

A 7.62 Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    I don't want to come off as a smart @$$, but it ALWAYS seem like the state troopers everyone has trouble with. Anyway, to answer your good question sir, you do whatever the heck you want! If the county confirmed your within your rights to shoot, then do it.

If the state trooper comes back, remember, the law is on YOUR side. Your doing nothing illegal on YOUR property. Meaning, the state trooper has no right to be there. Again, the law is on YOUR side. Don't be afraid to politely say to the officer, "Officer, im on my property doing nothing illegal. Now, I'm going to ask that you leave my property"

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    He says someone reported a firearm being discharged in the area. I said yes it was me. He then grills me and tells me it's illegal and a liability to fire a gun in the area. I tell him it's county and I am well within my legal rights. I hear the County officer confirm over the radio and confirm that it is County. He stalls and say a couple other snide remarks and turns and leaves.

So going forward what should I do when I want to shoot my gun in my yard. What should I keep in mind they could bust my balls on.
    Make them starting working for their paycheck, unless asked if it was you don't offer it up, that'll cut out a lot of the snide remarks from the get go. You can still be polite and honest in the process but the less you talk the better and the less they'll be able to grill you.

And as is always the case in these threads, louder or quieter, NFA is your friend.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Fire off as many rounds as you like. Enjoy the country. If the police come back, make sure you do a few mag dumps as they leave?

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Get a suppressor. That's what I plan to do when I move to "the county". What your neighbors don't know shouldn't bother them.

And by the way, the neighbor you tbought was covering for you was probably the one that called the police, although she may have been embarassed for you to see the popo pulling in the hers, the callers, driveway. Cops usually go to the caller first to take a report.

Blackout

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Every time the law is called on me for shooting in the back yard I invite them to shoot a few rounds.

:yesway: That is a great comment.

If your in the clear, your in the clear. Keep shooting, its your right. If this becomes a constant annoyance for you, try to figure out who is calling the law on you. I would have a calm discussion of your rights, explain to the person you will keep on shooting regardless of how many times you are called on, and if this person persists on calling, gather up your local laws and city limit boundaries. That way, you have hard evidence to show anyone who questions your shooting.

At least, thats what I would do. Hope this helps. Blackout

71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In
    I have a neighbor who calls the police every time I shoot. I have decided that the next time I get ready to go out back and shoot, I will first call the police, tell them about my neighbor, and that I'm getting ready to go shoot and their time would be better spent visiting her and educating her that I'm within my rights, and breaking no laws, and practicing in a safe manner.
    Kind of like calling the sheriffs office to report a controlled burn so the fire department doesn't show up.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I have a neighbor who calls the police every time I shoot. I have decided that the next time I get ready to go out back and shoot, I will first call the police, tell them about my neighbor, and that I'm getting ready to go shoot and their time would be better spent visiting her and educating her that I'm within my rights, and breaking no laws, and practicing in a safe manner.
    Kind of like calling the sheriffs office to report a controlled burn so the fire department doesn't show up.

I'm sincere when I say: please do that and let us know what happens.

T-Mann

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    Michiana Area
    Your neighbor is using the "law" as a weapon to shut you down. Unfortunately, I'm not sure there's a lot you can do about that. I'd recommend: be considerate...don't shoot real early or real late. Make sure you're shooting in a safe manner. Be as good a neighbor as reasonableness would allow. I'm not saying lay down and be run over, but don't give your neighbor easy nits to pick.

+1, not only because it is good advice, but also for the proper use of Your and You're (although it should be lie down instead of lay down) :D [/grammar police] :P

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    +1, not only because it is good advice, but also for the proper use of Your and You're (although it should be lie down instead of lay down) :D [/grammar police] :P

I didn't know my wife had an account here:;).

(I'll screw up "affect" and "effect" too.)

Top Bottom