So I got the cops called on me ....Again.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I would at least call, if not go in to see, the Sheriff. Let him know how appreciative you were of his deputy backing you up on the law against the trooper. Never hurts to make a friend in law enforcement. The guy will be more likely to back you again if the trooper decides to make an ass of himself again.

Whitsettd8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Floyd Co
    Well my direct neighbors husband stopped by last night (87 yr old ret Air Force pilot awesome guy) to let me know who he think called. There is a newer development that buts up to his property and he said that the closest homeowner approached him one day while working in his garden. He asked who was doing the shooting and questioned the legality of it.

Anyway I like the idea of calling before you shoot. I think I'm going to go pick up a case of clays and box of shells. I'll let you all know how it turns out.

Last edited:

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    ...There is a newer development that buts up to his property and he said that the closest homeowner approahced him one day while working in his garden. He asked who was doing the shooting and questioned the legality of it. ....

Well, when you move to the country you might smell pig :poop: or hear gunfire.

That's just comes with the territory. Stay in the city. (gunfire in the city not valid if chicago)

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    I have a neighbor who calls the police every time I shoot. I have decided that the next time I get ready to go out back and shoot, I will first call the police, tell them about my neighbor, and that I'm getting ready to go shoot and their time would be better spent visiting her and educating her that I'm within my rights, and breaking no laws, and practicing in a safe manner.
    Kind of like calling the sheriffs office to report a controlled burn so the fire department doesn't show up.

Exactly what the police should do each time someone calls. Educate them and then tell them to stop crying wolf and wasting LEO's time.

pitbull1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    My cousin has the same problems! Hi lives outside of city limits, yet every time we decide to shoot there Mr. DNR and the sheriff feel the need to stop by and hassle us. I must say it does get old quickly!

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Exactly what the police should do each time someone calls. Educate them and then tell them to stop crying wolf and wasting LEO's time.
    Good luck with that. It would be nice if they did that but it's not the officer's responsibility to educate the sheeple unfortunately.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    It isn't the officer's responsibility to educate the sheeple, but it would be nice.
    and it would be nice if they educate the person that it is legal, then, when the person calls again, cite them for false reporting.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    It isn't the officer's responsibility to educate the sheeple, but it would be nice.
    and it would be nice if they educate the person that it is legal, then, when the person calls again, cite them for false reporting.
    Well, there isn't anything false about it so long as they're not making false claims.

For example:
    "Somebody is shooting a gun, can you go check it out?" = Not false.
    "Somebody shot somebody with a gun! Get here fast!" = False.

Without knowing exactly what has been reported and based upon what the officer said when they arrived, I would presume the report wasn't false.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I like the Tannerite idea, but you may want to alert the neighbors that you know arent calling on your shooting. Maybe even call 15-40 or your close friends to do a couple mag dump function tests of their guns too.

Or you could just not let it bother you, and continue on doing your thing. Im sure after getting enough calls the dispatcher will start to get the hint.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    Reminds me of someone I know who owns property down in Brown County. He bought property, went down and shot his pistol for a bit. Cops got called. They ended not making a big deal about it. He had a decent backstop etc.
    So the next weekend he invited a few buddies over combined they had a few shotguns, Aks pistols etc. The lit the place up. Nobody called again.
    I wish I had been one of those buddies. I've shot on his place, but it sounds like that time was pretty lively.

Bruizer13

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 10, 2012
    I had a buddy with the same situation, however, in our county it requires a backstop. My buddy lives pretty close to town and fires a Mini 14. I think that I'd be worried about round ricochet, but if you are not violating an ordinance... fire away!

Top Bottom