• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I'm sorry, but I have to say it. This is 2017. There's no excuse to not carry a cell phone.

What I wonder is what is a "man of a certain age" is? I've read Kirk say that and another member echo it. I know men from 18 to literally 80+ that carry them. I will say I think I'm somewhere around Kirk's age and I only started carrying one a couple years ago, and mine doesn't do photos or audio.

cheapness
    laziness
    old timer syndrome
    lack of belt room

I can think of several.

Yep, I can also. But being a "man of a certain age" isn't one of them.

The cell phone reminds me of a girl I broke up with.

It is a tether. It restricts my ability to enjoy the moment.

I look forward to those times that I am not with it.

Sure, it tries to get my attention at the worst possible times, we've had some laughs together, but it really only has a couple redeeming qualities that eventually get old, as great as they are.

Except the phone is easy to turn on and off with a simple push of a button. Then again that reminds me of a old (red headed) girlfriend of mine... But even with her the good outweighed the bad(at least at the time).

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    My wife's 86 year old grandpa carries the newest iPhone.

What if you HAD to use your gun? How would you call 911 for help? How would you access INGO to brag about your shot from your .380 mouse gun that you were pocket carrying? A cell phone is essential.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Yep, I'm sure the cold is a key difference. Even between Brown Co (assuming you meant the one in IN) and Tippecanoe Co. But if you think Lafayette area is barren, head a half hour north and towards lake Michigan. Seriously. From shortly north of Lafayette until you hit the Dunes there is nothing but flat farm land. There is some variance in the North Central to North Eastern parts of the state.

Yes Brown County Indiana. I've camped in Dunes State Park. Beach was covered in dead fish. meh.

We may not have an ocean or dessert ....
    What!?, Indiana doesn't have dessert!? It had dessert when I left 30 years ago, what have you guys done to the state since then?! Thank God I live in the home of the world's largest pecan. Pecan pie forever! God Bless Texas!

One main difference is that our "fresh water ocean" doesn't contain innumerable critters that will eat/maim/cause serious pain to you.
    No dessert and no watery predators, you guys are a sad bunch.

That and TX has a lot less people per square mile iiirc, but then again couldn't that be because less people want to live there?
    Apparently not, can't wait for DJT to get that durn wall built. Also had highest rate of population growth of any state between 2000 and 2010 censuses. Only gotten worse/better since then.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Just another thought about this particular incident, but I'm guessing your perfectly reasonable strategy of weaving farther into the parking lot was to see to it that, if he still was able to close the distance and zero in on you and force the deployment of your friendly persuader, you would at least have a far better safe backstop if he closed the distance to the point that indicated imminent threat.
    Well away from uninvolved persons, you'd be able to double tap or quadruple tap or however many-tap him.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town

Sure, it tries to get my attention at the worst possible times, we've had some laughs together, but it really only has a couple redeeming qualities that eventually get old, as great as they are.

I am cheap, old, lazy, etc. I hate being bothered. But I carry a phone and turn it off when it suits me.

When you want to enjoy the moment, silence it or turn it off. Nobody can bother you when it's turned off.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    It was there, and on your mind. It amplified your mind powers to "stop right there" as if you had jedi mind powers.

Are you suggesting that the gun concentrates jedi mind power flux lines the same way a ferromagnetic core concentrates magnetic flux inside of a solenoid? Is that what you're saying? 'Cause if you're sayin' that, I think you might just be right.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Are you suggesting that the gun concentrates jedi mind power flux lines the same way a ferromagnetic core concentrates magnetic flux inside of a solenoid? Is that what you're saying? 'Cause if you're sayin' that, I think you might just be right.

I'm trying to come up with something snarky... but between the Naproxen, Hydrocodone-Acetaminophen, Pantoprazole, Primidone, Propranolol, and Prochlorper.... well let's just say I'm not operating on all cylinders right now.

RIGHT NOW

Sorry, did I yell that out loud?

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    10 yards in an urban environment is pretty average, I'd think.
    360 degrees
    Multiple, multiple, multiple people to observe.
    Limited horizon

I agree. I did not mean to imply that Kirk did anything wrong by letting the guy get that close before picking him up. Kirk gets under my skin sometimes, but I try to give him a fair shake. He won, in this situation he was clearly a winner. I might dog on Kirk for his fixed gear bike and scarf, but I am nothing but grateful and eager to learn when it comes to this incident.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I agree. I did not mean to imply that Kirk did anything wrong by letting the guy get that close before picking him up. Kirk gets under my skin sometimes, but I try to give him a fair shake. He won, in this situation he was clearly a winner. I might dog on Kirk for his fixed gear bike and scarf, but I am nothing but grateful and eager to learn when it comes to this incident.

My bike and scarf were not involved. No craft beer was spilled during this incident. No locavore, gluten-free food was consumed before or after this incident.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Kirk it's good to hear no one was hurt and best of luck to the LEOs in search of Mopey McMethhead. Random criminal or paid by someone with a grudge? (OK, I'll go here) Wally World provides a much better choice in potential victims than a non-elderly male (I've met you, you're younger than me and I'm "middle-aged") with no spouse/kids in-tow. Then again, I'm not a criminal.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch

that was YOU who scared her? :xmad: I spent two years helping her work through things until it just started getting old and I broke up with her

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Great reading your handling of the situation. Not quarterbacking but help my learning curve here.

Why did you not use your car panic alarm as you retreated? Some reasons going through my mind:
    - Keys not in your hand?
    - Not to your advantage?
    - Didn't think of it?
    - Would not have mattered?
    - Male pride not allowing you to ask for help?
    - Too old to use those fancy toys like cell phones and car alarms?

Having a cell phone in the situation would have been useless for me. I am so slow with my cell phone that it would have required my full attention to be able to find the camera button to take a photo. Not sure I would have wanted to look away from the threat that long.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Great reading your handling of the situation. Not quarterbacking but help my learning curve here.

Why did you not use your car panic alarm as you retreated? Some reasons going through my mind:
    - Keys not in your hand?
    - Not to your advantage?
    - Didn't think of it?
    - Would not have mattered?
    - Male pride not allowing you to ask for help?
    - Too old to use those fancy toys like cell phones and car alarms?

Having a cell phone in the situation would have been useless for me. I am so slow with my cell phone that it would have required my full attention to be able to find the camera button to take a photo. Not sure I would have wanted to look away from the threat that long.

I imagine the next new trend will be people livestreaming their own muggings.

Top Bottom