• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Sometimes Kirk is a bit hard to cipher, but I believe a lot of his message is that he had to be restrained because the "fight" never came to be. This was intentional on Kirk's part to avoid whatever the strong-arm robbery was to be AND at the same time avoid the court battle in shooting what could be an unarmed attacker.

I don't know if it was strong arm or armed. His hand was clenched in a reverse grip of something (what I saw) and he is closing fast. I did not stand there and find out. I got to entangling ground and got my fence up (a Jeep in my case).

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    And if it turned out his hands were empty?

That could be complicated for you since by your own comments, you have alternatives for defending yourself that do not involve weapons. A weak, crippled, old fat guy like me has fewer options.

I don't know if it was strong arm or armed. His hand was clenched in a reverse grip of something (what I saw) and he is closing fast. I did not stand there and find out. I got to entangling ground and got my fence up (a Jeep in my case).

In this situation, you were able to maintain distance long enough for him to disengage before you were able to learn what he did or did not have in his hands. Had the distance or time (or both) been compressed, do you think accessing a weapon for immediate use would be acceptable?

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Thinking this over, wouldn't it make sense, as soon as it is clear he is about to assault you, to draw on him? Just a Monday morning quarterback thought.

Listen to Guy Relford, Sat., evening, on WIBC, 93.1 5pm to 7 pm,

The gun, is the LAST RESORT !!!!!

Kirk, I have not met you, but you are one of the ones,

that I want to .....

I am glad it ended well ..... People also think I am crazy, for looking around all the time .....

S A, is EVERYTHING !!!!!

I will NOT stop shopping at Wal Mart, I need the PRACTICE !!!!!

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Thinking this over, wouldn't it make sense, as soon as it is clear he is about to assault you, to draw on him? Just a Monday morning quarterback thought.

As well, another point I wanted to bring up is that guns are not magic wands. Ask the coppers here on INGO about the first time that they pointed a gun at someone only to have profanities screamed at them.

Remember, not many people have been shot. This is why people do not react to being muzzled at the gun shop or range. They don't know the pain it brings. However, when you open a knife, people will monkey hoot about the knife because we have all cut ourselves (usually a bagel in the kitchen). (I have told about teaching at Wildcat Valley and saw the students waving guns about like pom poms without concern, but when I opened by knife with an audible click to cut open a tangelo, the monkey hoots were overwhelming).

What was magic here was training, mindset (alertness) and footwork.

Shooting is always last on the list. Everyone wants to train the how, no one wants to train the when.

Martial arts, including gun fu, is about mindset and footwork. Everything else, including style, or type of gun, is way, way behind in importance.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Seriously, I'm glad it worked out and am impressed by your restraint. Good job.

Discipline: keeps you from making holes in things that do not need holes and keeps you from seeing the inside of the county jug.

Remember, it's only a gun. Not magic. Not an excuse to be foolish.

Train with discipline. Train the form until you forget the form and the form will save you.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I see you are unfamiliar with Lafayette: View From The Porch: Just not cut out for a life of crime.

A taxi is involved with a large plurality of heavy crimes here.

A taxi is involved in a large plurality of random muggings, especially in early Sunday afternoon muggings? I could see crimes such as documented in the article you listed, and even several other kinds, but random walmart muggings?

You are correct. The one time I visited it was December - flat, cold, windy, and scrawny little trees. Never went back.

Except for cold didn't you just describe most of Texas? And there are a few hills and valleys in the area, very few maybe but a few...

Do you think the guy was following you waiting for the right opportunity? Sounds strange to me, like a disgruntled former client or friend of a former client or hell maybe just some whacko who saw you in the paper or news who's obsessed with you. I'd be watching your 6 Kirk seriously. Seriously though good job.

It sounds a bit strange to me also, and I live in the area. But I doubt a former client or friend would hire a cab in an attempt to follow him. Especially considering how Kirk described the person. Now the city hiring someone...

Maybe so. Patrol officer came by office to take report. Diagrammed it for him on whiteboard. Gave him witnesses and photo of suspect from the nice Carroll County lady.

Kirk Freeman, newly-minted Target Shopper.

When did you report this? It sounds like it was 24 hrs later that an officer came by to take a report. Did you not report it immediately? Or did the police not come by until now? And if the later was that when they were able/available, or at your request? If it was because you didn't report it immediately, why not? Yes I understand you don't carry a cell, but if the person retreated and the lady was able to get a picture, why not ask her to call 911? Or retreat into the store and ask them to?

He covered over one hundred yards in what it took me to cover 40ish yards. He tracked me over 100 yards of parked cars, people moving, other cars moving, and he singled me out, scope locked on me from over 100 yards out.

You kept eyes on him for 60 yrds from the sound of it, and he made that up? He had to be moving in the predetor shuffle long before you spotted it then. This is not a bash on you, you spotted it in time, and I can't guarantee I would have done the same.

Likely I could not believe someone was actually doing this as I do not look like an easy mark and certainly do not act like it.
    Sure, keep telling yourself that... From your own description you sound like my kind of mark...:gaychase:
    But seriously, a friend (and seriously a friend) may look like an easy mark, his wife does not. They were the subject of an attempted mugging up in Chitcago. He is 5ft 2in and maybe 140 lbs, but mean as all hell. And at the time a damn near pro level competitive shooter. His wife is about 5ft 11in and 240. He did draw but the interaction was at much closer distance, maybe 15 ft.

That's what I think.

Then we get another thread like this one: Fishers gas clerk arrested for intimidation

LOCAL LAW PERSON KIRK FREEMAN PULLS GUN ON FEEBLE OLD MAN, ARRESTED FOR INTIMIDATION

Slight difference. That being the difference between drawing and pointing, and chasing and being chased. It also depends on what was said. There are two different IN court of appeals/supreme ct cases that hinged on what was said. The first was a mutual road rage incident, they were basically pacing each other down the road yelling at each other. The one guy picked up a handgun and waved it in the air. The court found he was not guilty because he didn't point it, and the other guy couldn't hear what he said. The other case the guy simply put his hand on his holstered pistol and said "don't even think about it".

Now, what will even come of this? As in, the police have a report of an "encounter" there probably isn't much they can do with the guy even if they find him is there?

"Honest ostifer, I was just asking that dude for directions and he got all weird on me."

Curious about this also.

You don't run 100-120 yards to ask someone for directions. You don't "run up" on someone to ask for directions.

Sun Tzu and all that.

I'll disagree on the first part, I may or may not have done similar... But not in an urban terrain with multiple people around to ask.

Second part FTFY

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    And if it turned out his hands were empty?

Didn't you mention either a knife or screwdriver? That aside, I'm an old guy with health issues. If the sight of the gun doesn't change his mind, I'm not about to become a crime victim. I've already discussed with my wife that we appear to be easy meat for dirtbags. Her SA is zero so I have to cover it all.

long coat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Avon
    When you left your car, was it locked, doors open/closed, where were the keys, could he have wanted the car/what you just put in it, but you didn't leave it unlocked.

I don't have a problem with anything you did. You are still here and all your blood is still inside you. Just like the others Monday morning quarterbacking.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    At least at Meijer, you can get robbed at the cash register!

giphy.gif

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This is sound advice! I stopped shopping at Walmart totaly. I should say my wife has. I rarely shop. I have Amazon prime, grubhub and can even get groceries delivered same day :)
    **** the world

We still occasionally go to the local Wally depending on what is needed.
    I say we because I will not let the spouse go alone.

long coat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Avon
    This was at the Meijer in Avon.

My wife and i stopped a "man" from "lighting up" his wife/GF. He also helped her out of the car by pushing her neck into the seatback.
    I have never seen so many cop cars come flying in the Meijer parking lot before.

Top Bottom