• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Except for cold didn't you just describe most of Texas? And there are a few hills and valleys in the area, very few maybe but a few...

Cold is a key difference. West and northwest Texas are pretty flat and desolate and I don't live there. I live just south of the official Hill Country, lots of rolling hills and dense brush and forest, so many deer they challenge squirrels for road kill body count. There are lots of hills and valleys and whatnot in south and east, it's just that Texas is so dang big it can also hold lots of flat ground too.

When I visited Lafayette it was as a high school junior to check out Purdue. There was absolutely no windbreaks other than buildings, and these tiny pathetic little trees scattered around. I grew up in Brown County, that area up there looked pretty barren.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Meant to put this in the prior post.
    Glad everything worked out for you, and it sounds like you handled it almost text book perfectly. Except for perhaps not tracking the perp quite as long as you should have, but hell 60 yrds or so I would have done the same. And thank you much for this AAR. I learned a good bit from it.

That could be complicated for you since by your own comments, you have alternatives for defending yourself that do not involve weapons. A weak, crippled, old fat guy like me has fewer options.

In this situation, you were able to maintain distance long enough for him to disengage before you were able to learn what he did or did not have in his hands. Had the distance or time (or both) been compressed, do you think accessing a weapon for immediate use would be acceptable?

See my previous post, drawing is not necessarily intimidation. There is nothing in the IC that I know of that prohibits simply having a firearm in your hand. Pointing, yes. "Threatening words", yes. Simply drawing while attempting to walk away or get into your vehicle, no.

Ask the coppers here on INGO about the first time that they pointed a gun at someone only to have profanities screamed at them.

Remember, not many people have been shot. This is why people do not react to being muzzled at the gun shop or range. They don't know the pain it brings. However, when you open a knife, people will monkey hoot about the knife because we have all cut ourselves (usually a bagel in the kitchen).

First, I'd guess that most of the people that the coppers here on INGO that they have pointed a gun at and that screamed profanities at them are one of two things, either drunk/drugged or criminals who know how police work. The vast majority of LEOs when they draw a firearm as a precautionary measure without the immediate need to use it aren't going to pull the trigger just for being sworn at, and the criminals know it.

I've been accidentally(maybe intentionally) flagged by a firearm, it doesn't draw the pucker factor (at least for me) as having a firearm pointed intentionally at me with the persons finger on the trigger knowing/assuming it was loaded and ready to fire and that the person was ready to fire. I've never had a knife pulled on me, but I'm guessing the reaction would be similar. I don't flinch when someone pulls out a knife, now if they pulled one with the possible intention of cutting me...?

This is why you keep a jennings in your back pocket.....

Nah a hi point, jennings are almost collector items now.

We can't have nice things.

I agree, see above.

I think that is a fair presumption, but no, it was not an ex. One of them would have just used a car to run me down . . . and gotten away with it.

Perhaps it was one of them rather than the county that hired the mope?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Wow, that is a hairy situation.

The closest I have had is similar but no weapon evident weapon My reaction was to raise my left hand and put my right on my pistol and command back off. I was pleased that he did.

My knees are so bad that the flight response is not an option.

I can't find the article, but your statement reminds me of a MMA fighter that stated he didn't "need" a gun, because he was a "man".
    You know, cause EVERYONE is in the prime of their life, and a fighting machine.
    Not to mention, being in a fair fight with rules and officials.
    :)

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I can't find the article, but your statement reminds me of a MMA fighter that stated he didn't "need" a gun, because he was a "man".

You mean there won't be anyone there to stop the fight if you have to tap out?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    That all makes a lot of sense.
    10 yards is close, yikes. Good job not letting him tangle you up.
    Did he seem surprised when you reacted decisively instead of being passive?
    Is there any training that, upon reflection, strikes you as particularly beneficial in this situation?

10 yards in an urban environment is pretty average, I'd think.
    360 degrees
    Multiple, multiple, multiple people to observe.
    Limited horizon

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    You mean there won't be anyone there to stop the fight if you have to tap out?

That was one of my points.

Also, I'm trying to sit in my computer chair, with sharp shooting pains in my back that will spike more when I try to get up to get the paperwork I need to finish a newsletter I need to do TODAY.
    And, I think I bruised some ribs when I fell over my gun bag in the dark. No bruise mark on the skin, just a nice scab. And sharp pain when I move or jab the area. Yes, I need to put my stuff away. :) Or at least turn on the lights when I'm walking through the house.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Didn't you mention either a knife or screwdriver?

Paraphrasing, but I believe he corrected it some something like this. "He had something in his hand in a reverse grip, at least it looked like it to me".

This is sound advice! I stopped shopping at Walmart totaly. I should say my wife has. I rarely shop. I have Amazon prime, grubhub and can even get groceries delivered same day :)
    **** the world

So have strangers bring **** to your door, knowing what you have ordered. Compard to going out and making them follow you home to find out where you live?

At least at Meijer, you can get robbed at the cash register!

Actually if you shop the sales for food, or even just veggies in general their prices aren't too bad. I love their veggie section.

Cold is a key difference. West and northwest Texas are pretty flat and desolate and I don't live there. I live just south of the official Hill Country, lots of rolling hills and dense brush and forest, so many deer they challenge squirrels for road kill body count. There are lots of hills and valleys and whatnot in south and east, it's just that Texas is so dang big it can also hold lots of flat ground too.

When I visited Lafayette it was as a high school junior to check out Purdue. There was absolutely no windbreaks other than buildings, and these tiny pathetic little trees scattered around. I grew up in Brown County, that area up there looked pretty barren.

Yep, I'm sure the cold is a key difference. Even between Brown Co (assuming you meant the one in IN) and Tippecanoe Co. But if you think Lafayette area is barren, head a half hour north and towards lake Michigan. Seriously. From shortly north of Lafayette until you hit the Dunes there is nothing but flat farm land. There is some variance in the North Central to North Eastern parts of the state.

And yes Texas is huge, but comparatively speaking IMO there isn't that much difference between the two. Yes IN has an actual winter and snow, but the span of of different land and amount of each? We have everything from the Hoosier National Forrest to the Indiana dunes, and everything in between. We may not have an ocean or dessert but almost comparable. One main difference is that our "fresh water ocean" doesn't contain innumerable critters that will eat/maim/cause serious pain to you.

That and TX has a lot less people per square mile iiirc, but then again couldn't that be because less people want to live there?

I don't use purple so read the above how you feel. (need to make this my sig line)

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Wifey asks me once, " Is a 45ACP really gonna help?" .......My reply: "Sure, 2 wouldn't hurt!" LOL. Glad yours worked out. Live and learn. Good luck, hope the Force is with you!

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere

Yeah, the first three pages of the MMA Rules say not to do almost everything I was trained to do in the '70's...

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    That was one of my points.

Also, I'm trying to sit in my computer chair, with sharp shooting pains in my back that will spike more when I try to get up to get the paperwork I need to finish a newsletter I need to do TODAY.
    And, I think I bruised some ribs when I fell over my gun bag in the dark. No bruise mark on the skin, just a nice scab. And sharp pain when I move or jab the area. Yes, I need to put my stuff away. :) Or at least turn on the lights when I'm walking through the house.

It sounds a lot like you really need to have a good day at some point.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I'm sorry, but I have to say it. This is 2017. There's no excuse to not carry a cell phone.
    The cell phone reminds me of a girl I broke up with.

It is a tether. It restricts my ability to enjoy the moment.

I look forward to those times that I am not with it.

Sure, it tries to get my attention at the worst possible times, we've had some laughs together, but it really only has a couple redeeming qualities that eventually get old, as great as they are.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

It reminds me more of the MMA fighter that said he carries a gun, because he knows his youth, musculature, and training are no guarantee. Paraphrasing of course.

10 yards in an urban environment is pretty average, I'd think.
    360 degrees
    Multiple, multiple, multiple people to observe.
    Limited horizon

10 yards in NW IN is pretty average? I'd say more like 10 ft. Too many multiples of people to observe, dependent on where of course. Mall 10 ft, downtown Crown Point or Highland more like 20.

Again, no firearm was displayed.

Stop that, you'll give me a stroke.

See below, which is what I got out of his statement.

It was there, and on your mind. It amplified your mind powers to "stop right there" as if you had jedi mind powers.

It sounds a lot like you really need to have a good day at some point.

This I agree with completely. He needs to meet a mildly sane redhead. That knows how to and is willing to cook bacon.

Top Bottom