• ...and so much more!
  • JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    So am I legally in the wrong if I purchase a .22 rifle for my grandkids to have? There fathers already own firearms and are proper persons.

You're the buyer. The buyer fills out the form 4473.

If you give it away as a gift, that's no problem whatsoever.

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    This same thing happened a few years ago at ZX in Ft. Wayne. My wife was getting a XD(m) 45, filled out the 4473 and was approved. I went to pay for it and they wouldn't allow the sale unless she paid.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    That's when you do this.

[pointing behind clerk] "Hey! Squirrel"
    "wha... I don't see..."
    [you drop money while he's distracted]
    "Honey, I think you dropped your money to pay the man."

Stang51d

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    Centerpoint
    My wife wanted a rifle to hunt with. Knew what she wanted. We looked all over until we found one. She looked at it, did all the coon fingering, said she would take it, she started to fill out the 4473 and they wouldn't let her. The owner of the shop told her that I had to. If not, it was a straw purchase. I told him it was hers, she was buying it, but he wouldn't hear it. Insisted that I do it. So I did, then she paid for it, I told them that they just insisted on a straw purchase and we left.

That at was a few years ago, before we were married. And I was just back in there not long ago and brought it up. He didn't remember it. When I told him, he looked like someone had just kicked him in the nuts.

RH822-A

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 11, 2008
    Pleasant Lake, Steuben County
    About 2 months ago I bought a rifle from a FT. Wayne shop, I filled out the 4473 and when my wife pulled our debit card out of her purse (I didn't have mine with me) he said we can't do that anymore. I asked why not? He told us that the regulations regarding straw purchases were so vague that in order to not violate them the shop now requires that whoever fills out the 4473 must produce the cash from their own pocket. So he hinted to my wife that she should ask him for a gift certificate, so she did. Then she handed it to me and I handed it back to the clerk all in a span of about 30 seconds or so. As he rung up my purchase he commented on how impressive it was that my wife knew exactly how much was going to spend at his gun shop today.

MadMan66

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Hogshitt's Paradise
    My father wanted to buy my wife her first gun for her birthday one year. He told me to pick it out since I knew what she would likely want. I ended up finding one from an online retailer, so my father had me use his credit card to place the order. When we went to the FFL for the transfer, I simply told the clerk what we were doing and asked who he wanted to fill out the 4473. If memory serves me well, I ended up filling it out since my name was on the order. It was a well known FFL in the Indy area (the clerk is/was an INGO member) and this was a few years back, but I remember thinking it was odd that I was filling it out because my father was paying but it was intended for my wife.

I know it's not the definition of the law, but I think a straw purchase should be defined as a purchase for someone otherwise not able to legally own a firearm. But that would just make too much sense.

Papa

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Ohio
    I used to work for a pawn shop and the rules from management were that if the person filling out the 4473 wasn't the one paying, married or not we had to nix the deal. I made certain after that to let everyone know after that in advance. Saw this happen to a few married couples.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    Yes, I have been in a gun shop and seen this happen twice to other customers. In defense of the clerk he is doing what he is told and how does he know who is married or not or has joint finances or not? Plan ahead and if you are the one filling out the 4473 then make sure you are the one with the funds in your pocket / wallet when you pay for it.

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    Yes, I have been in a gun shop and seen this happen twice to other customers. In defense of the clerk he is doing what he is told and how does he know who is married or not or has joint finances or not? Plan ahead and if you are the one filling out the 4473 then make sure you are the one with the funds in your pocket / wallet when you pay for it.

+100

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    It's when you get divorced that your money becomes all her money ..:joke:
    But he gets his soul back...

I know it's not the definition of the law, but I think a straw purchase should be defined as a purchase for someone otherwise not able to legally own a firearm. But that would just make too much sense.

Agreed, but how does the shop know that someone is not legally able to own a firearm unless they fill out the 4473? That is the shop's way to know. I'm guessing the ATF will run these types of games just to see what they get occasionally. I can also see why a shop would have this rule.

Is the example in this thread a straw purchase? No. Does the shop have a way of knowing that? No.

Top Bottom