• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Just remember a non felonious wife could be married to a felonious male!
    I have a friend who passed recently and one of his daughters can’t inherit any of his duty guns(he was a retired sheriff)because she married a convicted felon
    another thing to think about is, do you put it past the batfe to run a sting operation on a gun shop?
    I’ve denied doing sales because someone don’t look right!

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Saw a nice marlin Mountie at an Anderson Indiana gun shop. Have known the owner for 25 years or more. Told him I wanted to put 20 down on it and my father who had been wanting a Mountie like mine would pick it up the next day a 12 noon. He said that would make it a straw purchase.

He said put the cash away. I will hold it for your dad but if you place 20 dollars down and he then buys it out of layaway that would be a no-no. Dad came the next day and purchased it. Used it a lot. I had just gone it to purchase powder. Saw the rifle and wanted him to hold it cause dad had been looking for one.

The owner knows both of us. Knows we are proper people. Has sold us guns before. All came out like I wanted just had to put up the cash. Rules are rules I guess.

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    Well, there certainly are some interesting thoughts here...

I could have done the 4473, paid for the handgun and then gifted it to my wife.

My understanding of a straw purchase is where you give someone money to purchase a weapon for you.

My wife paid for the handgun and completed the sale. I gifted her the cash on the way out the door.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    What could be a 'bad vibe'?

Edit: Anything I guess depending upon the circumstance...

For example......

About four years ago a cab pulls up....A young man, (picture Danny Devito at age 23) comes into the shop, does not respond when I ask if I can help him three times....

Walks over to the case and says, "I want this gun..."

"What is it about that gun that you like? Caliber? Maker? What?"

No response...

"I just need it..."

"I am not selling it to you...Leave now..."

End of story....

One week later the same cab pulls up and the driver get's out...

"Hey buddy I want to thank you for not selling that guy a gun..."

"Danny Devito?"

Chuckles, "Yeah, that's him...When you refused he came out to the cab and handed me $300 and told me to go get the gun for him...I told him I couldn't do that...He had me drive him to a Big O tire...Told me to wait for him and he went in, then back out and began pacing around the parking lot muttering to himself...I then did something I have not done in 30 years of cab driving...I left him there...I lost $50 but something was just not right...The only time I ever bailed on a fare..."

That's one example and there is a handful more......

It's very hard to quantify...Our Creator gave us this ability....Years of living on concrete and in a digital world may have dulled it somewhat, but that ability to sense when something is not right is what kept us from being Sabre Tooth Tiger snacks back in the day...I rely on it....I believe in it....

IMHO

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    Knew a guy that owned a junk yard. One Saturday morning he was selling a part to a guy when 2 scruffy looking guys walked in, flannel shirts and grease stained blue jeans - backyard mechanics. He finishes the transaction with the first guy and starts to write up a receipt. The guy tells him he needs no receipt and my friend replied he needed one for his records anyway. As the first guy leaves the 2 guys walk up and pull out badges, IN dept of Revenue looking for the last guy who owned the junkyard.

You never know.

How many INGOers who sell with the proviso of drivers license and LTCH, would still sell to someone who showed the proper ID but their buddy paid? :dunno:

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    How many INGOers would sell to a buyer who stated they wanted to buy your gun but wanted "no paper trail"? I turned down that INGO member several years ago and would again. They are out there and in here!

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    How many INGOers would sell to a buyer who stated they wanted to buy your gun but wanted "no paper trail"? I turned down that INGO member several years ago and would again. They are out there and in here!
    I know there are man INGOers, including myself, that will not buy from a seller that wants us to complete a Bill of Sale. Do you believe this person is not legally allowed to own firearms? Unless I had some reason to believe this, I would have no problem selling to him.

MadMan66

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Hogshitt's Paradise
    I know there are man INGOers, including myself, that will not buy from a seller that wants us to complete a Bill of Sale. Do you believe this person is not legally allowed to own firearms? Unless I had some reason to believe this, I would have no problem selling to him.

This! No need to add more restrictions to the 2A. If you think someone is not a proper person, don't sell to them. But requiring me to show my DL and LTCH or sign a bill of sale is an immediate "no thanks." I usually laugh when I see someone asking in their ad to see a LTCH for a long gun. It's unnecessary and just doesn't sit right with me. Feels like they are saying we should have universal background checks for private sales.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    This! No need to add more restrictions to the 2A. If you think someone is not a proper person, don't sell to them. But requiring me to show my DL and LTCH or sign a bill of sale is an immediate "no thanks." I usually laugh when I see someone asking in their ad to see a LTCH for a long gun. It's unnecessary and just doesn't sit right with me. Feels like they are saying we should have universal background checks for private sales.
    So how am I going to know if you are the proper person without confirming you are resident of Indiana. I don't see you DL you don't get the gun. Long Guns I don't ask for LTCH. Am I even required to see a LTCH to sell a State Resident a Handgun with the new Law?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

This is how I look at this as well.
    Most all of my dealings outside my circle of influence is on Ingo. If you do not know me from here you are living in a box. No I will not produce anything as you should be able to find me anytime.

deo62

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Peru
    This is how I look at this as well.
    Most all of my dealings outside my circle of influence is on Ingo. If you do not know me from here you are living in a box. No I will not produce anything as you should be able to find me anytime.
    Even in the rain

MadMan66

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Hogshitt's Paradise
    So how am I going to know if you are the proper person without confirming you are resident of Indiana. I don't see you DL you don't get the gun. Long Guns I don't ask for LTCH. Am I even required to see a LTCH to sell a State Resident a Handgun with the new Law?

All you have to believe is that the buyer is not an improper person. If you have no reason to believe they are not a proper person, then all is well. Unless you're an FFL, you're not seeing my DL and you can keep the gun. I don't do many gun deals outside of FFLs, but the handful I have, I've never shown my DL. You do not need a LTCH to own a handgun, so why make them show one to buy a handgun?

Top Bottom