• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    Once again, thanks to all who replied. I ended up picking up a S&W Model 686-6 Plus with a 6" barrel today from Indiana Gun Club. Nice gun, and great folks at IN Gun Club for sure.

This is the 7-shot model, and it just felt right in my hands. The 627 PC that I was eying online had been sold, so that made my decision a bit easier.

The grips feel too narrow for my hands, but I think that is just because I am used to shooting 2011 double-stack USPSA guns that have pretty wide grips. I ordered a Hogue rubber grip for it that appears to have some "bulge" on the sidestraps. Hopefully it will be a bit wider than the stock grips (which look like Hogue as well).

There was another one I was looking at, a 686 Magnum with a 5' barrel that was enticing as well, but it did not feel as good in my hands as the 6" Plus model. Plus, I would have been paying extra for the wood grips that I would be replacing anyway.

Here she is in all her beauty, straight home from the store. Hope to shoot her tomorrow.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. Great information, and extremely helpful.

g9F3rND.jpg

Last edited:

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    Very nice pickup, I think you'll be happy with this for a while, but will eventually find a need for a 4" model, then a 3" 686+, perhaps a 2.75" K-Frame, maybe a J-Frame for carry, etc. People joke about 1911s multiplying in their safes, but once you get the revolver bug, they can easily do the same thing.

Congratulations!

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    If God created anything better than dogs and S&W revolvers he kept it for his self. Not my saying but pretty much true as far as I am concerned. Now I am no expert just like shooting revolvers and that is what I use for IDPA my 625 JM model. There is also a M10, 66 P&R, 65 and a 337PD, all great guns with the 625 and 337 the only ones bought new. Ruger Blackhawk .41Mag and Super Redhawk 454 Casull are both just FUN to shoot.
    I carry mostly bottom feeders because they are slimmer and fit CC better for me. I do carry the 625 and the 65 some and the 337 quite a bit and am very comfortable with both. I put Hogue compact grips on the 625 because the JM grip is just too big to conceal well and turns out I like the Hogues for IDPA also. Only the 625 has the hillery hole and everything is intact just like as new and after shooting it for about 10 years it has never been a problem. Jim.

I just stole the best sig quote ever. Thanks, Jim.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    My revolver selection recently grew... my S&W 629 Classic was joined by a 3” model 60. Then I fell, hit my head, and bought 5 more Smiths. Landed a 4” model 19, 6” model 19, a 6” model 28, a 4” model 629-2 and a 5” 625 model of 1989. Now I need another safe.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Good choice! I have Hogue grips on many of my revolvers and I think you'll like them much better than those grips. One good thing is that the Hogue rubber grips are very reasonably priced. Easy to mount optics on that revolver, if you ever decide to do that.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I just ordered a set of .38 dies, caliber conversion kit for my 650, etc.

Now I need to do some research on good load workups.
    Hope those dies also work for .357. The first cartridge I ever loaded was .38 SPL on a Lee Loader. That was about 1971! Some mild, accurate target loads aren't published. I like 148 grain hollow based wadcutters for target and fun shooting. I also like the 158 grain lead SWC. That revolver you have is probably one of the most versatile handguns out there...just pick a load for your intended purpose. I've shot competition with mine, carried it for self-defense and successfully hunted deer and small game!

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I put 50 rounds down the pipe this afternoon.

<stunned>

Unbelievable. SA was just stupid accurate, and honestly, I did better DA than I expected as well.

She's a keeper, that is for sure! Totally happy right now...

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Once again, thanks to all who replied. I ended up picking up a S&W Model 686-6 Plus with a 6" barrel today from Indiana Gun Club. Nice gun, and great folks at IN Gun Club for sure.

This is the 7-shot model, and it just felt right in my hands. The 627 PC that I was eying online had been sold, so that made my decision a bit easier.

The grips feel too narrow for my hands, but I think that is just because I am used to shooting 2011 double-stack USPSA guns that have pretty wide grips. I ordered a Hogue rubber grip for it that appears to have some "bulge" on the sidestraps. Hopefully it will be a bit wider than the stock grips (which look like Hogue as well).

There was another one I was looking at, a 686 Magnum with a 5' barrel that was enticing as well, but it did not feel as good in my hands as the 6" Plus model. Plus, I would have been paying extra for the wood grips that I would be replacing anyway.

Here she is in all her beauty, straight home from the store. Hope to shoot her tomorrow.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. Great information, and extremely helpful.

g9F3rND.jpg
    Congratulations on the 686. With proper care and cleaning it will last you a lifetime and provide you with endless hours of fun shooting. Have fun!

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    I put 50 rounds down the pipe this afternoon.

<stunned>

Unbelievable. SA was just stupid accurate, and honestly, I did better DA than I expected as well.

She's a keeper, that is for sure! Totally happy right now...

:hooked::laugh6:

Just one question -------------- which one you getting next?:dunno:

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    :hooked::laugh6:

Just one question -------------- which one you getting next?:dunno:

Yep. Totally hooked! I was at the Tipton gun show today. Guess what I looked at most of the day? Hint: It looked nothing like an AR-15.

LOL !!

Congrats James. It'll be hard to wipe the grin off once you send a cylinder full of light wadcutter loads downrange...sooo fun!!

I am anxious to get some made up. Soon...

HOTSHOT357

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2018
    Lafontaine
    I'm very happy for you Doublehelix. Thank you for taking us along with you on your journey. IMHO the S&W 686 platform can't be beat and I am sure you will have years of happiness with it. Keep us posted on your next purchase, and I promise this won't be your LAST!!!!!!

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Great choice - the 686 6" was the first handgun I ever bought over 30 years ago. I did end up selling that one but picked up another and have owned it for 24 years now. It is a great shooter! Also own a 2.5" 7 shot model.

firefighterjohn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    Thanks for the kind works guys. As mentioned, this is the first wheel gun in the Helix safe, but I can't see it being the last!

Very nice choice for your first wheel gun! And you're right, it WON'T be your last...they just seem to gravitate towards you as time goes on. My latest S&W was a 686+ 3"...it is sweet! Have fun shooting your new beauty!

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Just for fun, google Manurhin MR 73 revolvers. (That's one in my avatar). I've seen some for sale in the mid $700's recently. Next to Korth, considered to be one of the finest revolvers (.357) in the world. :)

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    Just for fun, google Manurhin MR 73 revolvers. (That's one in my avatar). I've seen some for sale in the mid $700's recently. Next to Korth, considered to be one of the finest revolvers (.357) in the world. :)

Nice looking stuff!

There are so many choices out there, that is for sure. I am pretty happy with my 686 however, and there are lots of aftermarket parts/holsters, etc. available as well, which makes it easy to take care of.

Top Bottom