• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    Well it was just surprising to find so many people who have very strong anti-establishment viewpoints who actually use the govt as a crutch because they can't be bothered with managing their own money. Honestly, in this group, I would have expected a huge amount to say they play it really close.

For most people it has nothing to do with their withholding. When you make below and certain level and have kids you get a earned income credit. You could have nothing withheld from your paycheck all year by the feds and still get up to a $10,000 refund I believe. Nothing to do with giving the gov't a interest free loan. Just the gov't giving out free money once a year.

Dragon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Muncie, IN
    I planned on buying a Springfield Armory M1A and dressing it up a bit but I couldn't wait on my refund so I bought it last weekend. I got it with a Sage EBR and an SWFA SS 3-9x42. :)

TTB Yeee

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Ohio
    Well, I have bought two handguns since Christmas, so I may just hold off until the Ruger SR1911 is more available and pick one up, or I may get an SR9c to carry.

I also get my yearly bonus around the same time, so maybe both....hmmmm

jamesg

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Indiana
    For most people it has nothing to do with their withholding. When you make below and certain level and have kids you get a earned income credit. You could have nothing withheld from your paycheck all year by the feds and still get up to a $10,000 refund I believe. Nothing to do with giving the gov't a interest free loan. Just the gov't giving out free money once a year.

that part is true, although I wouldn't associate this with most members here, they have internet and a gun hobby, doesn't seem likely they are also at the bottom of the food chain from an income perspective.

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    that part is true, although I wouldn't associate this with most members here, they have internet and a gun hobby, doesn't seem likely they are also at the bottom of the food chain from an income perspective.

As a pre-requisite to be eligible for the EIC, your income has to be less than 43k. For a single person living on their own, forty grand is a pretty decent amount of money. I don't quite get your "bottom of the food chain" comment. Are you saying 40,000 a year is poverty level?

Colts

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2011
    Roundabout Circle City

I have heard of others with a large bonus (Fed requires a min. 25% withheld over a certain income) coupled with average income and lots of deductions (including many kids) getting large refunds even after claiming 12 or more deductions for withholding purposes. The Gov't does not offer everyone an interest free loan (maybe just the Average Joes). :dunno:

jamesg

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Indiana
    I have heard of others with a large bonus (Fed requires a min. 25% withheld over a certain income) coupled with average income and lots of deductions (including many kids) getting large refunds even after claiming 12 or more deductions for withholding purposes. The Gov't does not offer everyone an interest free loan (maybe just the Average Joes). :dunno:

actually you have the option to make estimated quarterly tax payments to offset that, but rarely anyone bothers

Deprime

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 6, 2009
    Hancock Co.
    Ok, who is planning to use thier tax refund to purchase a new firearm and if so what?

I'm not going to get off of the OP's topic.

I am planning on purchasing a RRA .458 SOCOM upper and a new set of dies and some components to go with it. Been wanting one since I found out that it was a legal deer hunting cartridge.

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    im more interested in how many people here actually give the government an interest free loan all year instead of using that extra cash to buy more ammo!

there seems to be some smart people here, I figure the majority of people here use the readily available tools available and 5 minutes of their time to factor the proper number of withholdings to claim throughout the year so they don't end up over withholding.

certainly nobody is taking the easy way out here

Im glad it didnt take long for someone to post this.

People, getting money back is BAD.
    Also, don't think you "didn't pay taxes" because you get a return. (Lots of people actually think this).

Steve B

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    KEWANNA
    We figure ours closely but we usually get a little back. My return is going to pay another tax. The tax stamp on a new suppressor. More government robbery.

Top Bottom