The DOJ took Cody Wilson's "DEFCAD" 3D-print gun site down. Cody sued, and won.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Big development

DOJ filed a brief opposing a preliminary injunction against the State Department's settlement with 3D printed gun pioneer Cody Wilson. While most of the media has moved on from this story, this is actually a pretty significant development. This means that the federal government is going to fight the AGs in court. The State Department was the one who as actually enjoined in this case, not Cody Wilson. Now we know that they're going to fight back in order to honor their settlement with Wilson.

So, now it isn't Wilson and the Second Amendment Foundation fighting the federal government anymore. It's the federal government fighting on behalf of their deal with Wilson against a collection of state AGs. The power dynamics of the case have certainly changed. Obviously, this doesn't guarantee the court sides with the federal government over the state AGs but it's worth noting who the fight is actually between now. This isn't necessarily all that surprising if you've been following the case closely. This is the move Wilson and SAF was hoping for once the temporary restraining order was issued.

https://freebeacon.com/issues/justice-dept-says-state-ags-misunderstand-cody-wilson-settlement/

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    I don't see how the AGs even make standing on this, much less prevail on the merits. They are basically asking the judiciary to overthrow the executive.
    The greatness will be if the oppose the part of the settlement that states that AR15s and the like aren’t military weaponry, and should be available to everyone.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I just watched an episode of 'Shooter' and they had a printed gun make it thru a metal detector... then the bad guy shot a woman from maybe 50 feet... right in the head. These things are dangerous. If I hadn't seen it on a TV show I never would have believed it.

ogtruckin

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 10, 2017
    Vault 76
    I just watched an episode of 'Shooter' and they had a printed gun make it thru a metal detector... then the bad guy shot a woman from maybe 50 feet... right in the head. These things are dangerous. If I hadn't seen it on a TV show I never would have believed it.
    I saw that episode. it's truly frightening what these dangerous assault 3d printer guns can do!

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30

did you see how that guy on the west coast stole the airplane and thwn ended up crashing! he had a backgrund check, h3 had permission to be at the airport and in plane. heck the planes have no "door locks" or "keys to turn on". he could have killed many, many more like 9/11.

we need to ban planes asap!!
    we need to ban airplane video games as well as that is how he learned to fly.
    :facepalm:
    (ourple where needed)

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Breaking: US District Court Judge Robert S. Lasnik has ruled against the State Department regarding their settlement with Cody Wilson over 3D printed guns. He has issued a preliminary injunction.

Judge Lasnik claims that Cody Wilson's First Amendment rights are "currently abridged, but it has not been abrogated"

DlnvuTtUYAAMZS_.jpg:large

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    so for us non court people this means what?
    cody can email the files to whomever but not post them?
    what if he emails to bob and then bob uploads them to net?

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    so for us non court people this means what?
    cody can email the files to whomever but not post them?
    what if he emails to bob and then bob uploads them to net?

That's how it reads to me. At least the first part. Bob likely can't post them publicly either.

The whole thing reeks of :bs:

If I'm Cody Wilson, my next step is to set up a website whereby visitors are asked to enter an email address to access the files. Once the email address is entered, an email is automatically generated with a zip folder of pdf files and sent to the recipient.

Last edited:

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    that book is the Gcode, it is dependant on filament, filament type (ABS, PLA, etc) temperature and printer size and type, quite literally the least useful crap out there... the STL files are available at many places online; that book was a gimmick at best

Yep. The goal was to point out this sort of absurdity.

They wanted to get banned to prove Amazon doesn't respect 1A.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Well this is just great:

Controversial Austin man behind 3-D printed guns charged with child sex assault
    Cody Wilson, the owner of a controversial Austin business that distributes files that allow users to make their own untraceable 3-D printed guns, has been charged with sexual assault of a child.

He has not been arrested, according to online Travis County Jail records.

Court records obtained by MySA.com say the victim told the Center for Child Protection on Aug. 27 that she met Wilson through SugarDaddyMeet.com.

The affidavit does not list the victim's age but does say she is younger than 17 years old.

Sexual assault of a child is a second-degree felony punishable by up to 20 years in prison.

Top Bottom