• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Ok, I've been waiting to really post in this thread until I could say "I did" instead of "I'm going to".

I ran across the blog Jackson posted a while back and actually have it bookmarked to re-read whenever I start saying "maybe I'll do this after".

We've had some legitimate life improvements occupying all of our free time for the last few months (we bought an old house and did the renovations to get it move-in ready ourselves.) We are now moved and settled in for the most part.

Tonight we went to our first BJJ class! We actually just got home. I'm still a bit overwhelmed, jelly-legged, and hopped up on adrenaline, but it was pretty awesome. I broke a sweat before we even finished stretches, but I managed to finish the warm up and at least attempt every aspect of the class. I'm sure I looked like a beached whale at times and an upside down tortoise at others, but everyone was very positive and supportive. I can't wait for the next class!

Awesome! I am glad to hear my posts had something to do with it. Can you tell us where you trained?

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    +10 chezuki. I can't tell you how cool I think it is that you're doing it. Congrats, and I hope you fall in love with it.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    +10 chezuki. I can't tell you how cool I think it is that you're doing it. Congrats, and I hope you fall in love with it.

I'm already a bit obsessed... been watching a ton of videos trying to get all the terminology down.

...also, every muscle in my body hurts, but i still can't wait until Tuesday when I can do it all again!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    It is pretty cool, especially given his reservations.

It's not going to happen for me. I can barely get on the ground without injury, I can't get up on my own, and I'm essentially immobile when I'm on the ground other than slowly turning over (and that's only if no one is trying to stop me for doing it). If I have both knees on the ground and I lean forward at all, I cannot remain upright.

Ironically I could do a lot more when I was much bigger.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    It can very easily become an obsession... But a great one.

Based on what I've seen, it seems like if you want to be truly good at it (to the point where little active thought is necessary), you probably have to be at least a little obsessed. The variety of techniques and then near infinite number of situations where the could/should/must be applied could take a long, long time to master. You can get super good at technique A on your three training buddies . . . and then someone else whose body position is different changes the game.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    It is pretty cool, especially given his reservations.

It's not going to happen for me. I can barely get on the ground without injury, I can't get up on my own, and I'm essentially immobile when I'm on the ground other than slowly turning over (and that's only if no one is trying to stop me for doing it). If I have both knees on the ground and I lean forward at all, I cannot remain upright.

Ironically I could do a lot more when I was much bigger.

The part that got me the most wasn't the stretching, the falling, the rolling, or even the jogging during the warmup... It was repeatedly getting my 395lb self up off the mat. The proper falling is something I actually retained from my years in Karate, and I'm fairly mobile on the ground (for a fat guy, not for a Jiu Jitsu guy). I can 'shrimp' ok and roll and change position, but about the 20th time I have to get myself back up to my feet I'm getting pretty jelly legged.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The part that got me the most wasn't the stretching, the falling, the rolling, or even the jogging during the warmup... It was repeatedly getting my 395lb self up off the mat. The proper falling is something I actually retained from my years in Karate, and I'm fairly mobile on the ground (for a fat guy, not for a Jiu Jitsu guy). I can 'shrimp' ok and roll and change position, but about the 20th time I have to get myself back up to my feet I'm getting pretty jelly legged.

You don't look like you weigh that much, but I forget that you're taller than I am.

Unsolicited Advice:

This is one of the best things you could be doing for yourself at this point in your life. The more mobile you are and the more you do to increase your mobility and fitness, the better your life will be (aside from the obvious combative elements of this endeavor).

Also, don't do stupid things that are likely to result in serious injury.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    This is one of the best things you could be doing for yourself at this point in your life. The more mobile you are and the more you do to increase your mobility and fitness, the better your life will be (aside from the obvious combative elements of this endeavor).

Also, don't do stupid things that are likely to result in serious injury.
    GREAT advice.

Never A Victim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Hamilton County
    I started training in BJJ about a month ago. I've been to about 8 classes so far. I've always told myself that I would try it, and once I did, im hooked. It is very practical to police work, or just a fight in general. It's a great workout too. If anyone is thinking about trying out a class, do it!

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I started training in BJJ about a month ago. I've been to about 8 classes so far. I've always told myself that I would try it, and once I did, im hooked. It is very practical to police work, or just a fight in general. It's a great workout too. If anyone is thinking about trying out a class, do it!
    It really stretches me out as well. Also, it's like Chess. You are not thinking about the move you are going to apply but 3 moves down the way. I like anything that combines physical exertion with mental exertion.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    It really stretches me out as well. Also, it's like Chess. You are not thinking about the move you are going to apply but 3 moves down the way. I like anything that combines physical exertion with mental exertion.
    That's one of my favorite things about it. Jackson kind of hit on it in a post not too long ago, but the nutshell version is that I think it can give you a different mindset in dealing with other problems and with life. At first, when someone really good is smothering you, you're a fish out of water, no tools, no ideas, you tend to work too hard, to panic, to quit. BJJ can change the way you think. It can develop this survival mindset where you can start to relax and think through the problem. What was a panic situation turns into, "OK, this sucks, but I'm not in any immediate danger... now how do I solve the problem?" So as I've improved in BJJ, I think I've also improved in lots of areas in my life. And yeah, it's an obsession, for sure. Also totally agree that it's just such a great thing for your body. The exercise, the mobility, the new emphasis you'll have on loosening your hips and spine, it's all VERY good for you.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Also totally agree that it's just such a great thing for your body. The exercise, the mobility, the new emphasis you'll have on loosening your hips and spine, it's all VERY good for you.

Except for your ears. My ears are starting to get sore. I didn't think I'd have that problem as a part time hobbyist. I need to get some wrestling headgear.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Tapout gear is NEVER wrong, and extra small is just your size.

Chicks dig cauliflower ears, Jackson. Nothing says "be careful about who you're about to **** with" than really nasty cauliflower ears.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Whoa! Stop with the half-a**ed advice, ICP.

Don't forget that they need at least four Tapout Gear stickers in their rear windshield.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    No tap out gear for me. I did just miss martial arts class because of work. Plus I stopped to grab large Blizzards for the crew. Doesn't add anything to this thread. Just letting everyone know that DQ is more fun then exercise and that there are some benefits to being a fat@$$.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    Cool! I should get back into some form of martial arts, it would be good for me. I have been going to the gym and my blood pressure is creeping down at least. Haven't lost hardly any weight (was around 225 and down to maybe 215 since December) but my pants are looser. Muscle weighs more and it is slowly moving from my belly back up to my chest where it belongs. Damn gravity...

What kind of martial arts would be best for a 51 year old with a 6 time dislocated shoulder? I cannot do something like BJJ because I am afraid the grappling moves would cause number 7. Hated TKD, just not flexible enough. Used to take Wing Chun 30 ish years ago but Louisville area is not a hotbed for much that I know of.

Top Bottom