• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    The adult TKD class up here is full of mature adults, many of whom have had injuries, knee and hip replacements or are trying to lose weight.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    What kind of martial arts would be best for a 51 year old with a 6 time dislocated shoulder? I cannot do something like BJJ because I am afraid the grappling moves would cause number 7. Hated TKD, just not flexible enough. Used to take Wing Chun 30 ish years ago but Louisville area is not a hotbed for much that I know of.

What are your goals? Are you doing it for fitness, fun, to have hobby, to compete? Or to learn to fight effectively, for self defense specifically?

I don't necessarily think age or previous shoulder injury should keep you from BJJ. It might affect your selection of a gym though. We've got some guys your age who do quite well. All of them have some history of injury. They go at their pace and to my knowledge don't have issues.

I did a Google search for "Louisville Martial Arts" and got a lot of hits. Most places will let you come and take a few free classes. I'd recommend you take advantage of those at several schools/styles and see what you like. You may find the atmosphere and the instructor are more important to you than the specific art.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Update:

Had my third class last night (and I'm still a white belt... Wtf? I'd have been promoted twice by now at my old karate dojo) and I can feel the obsession taking hold. I can't remember ever being this sore in my life, yet I still can't wait for the next class.

What I've learned so far:

1. I am way more out of shape than I thought, and I knew I was extremely out of shape. Last night I was introduced to something called a "burpee", and I'd like to shoot the person who invented them (I started to say 'kick his ass', but he's likely in much better physical condition than me).

2. The question "why?" always results in my physical discomfort, yet I keep asking it and have no desire to stop.

Instructor: "Oh, don't put your hand there, you definitely don't want to do that..."
    Chez: "Ok, why?"
    Instructor: "Because if you do, I'll do this"
    Chez: "Aaaahhhhh!!! Bargh! Owww! Tap"

3. BJJ is extremely more involved than it looks. There is a lot more going on that I'm starting to notice, like how forgetting a small amount of pressure with your elbow on your opponents thigh can result in you being upside down in a pretzel before you know what happened... All because you failed to prevent a slight position change which gave up a ton of leverage.

I ordered a gi today, so soon I will look much more official while being crushed into the mat.

Last edited:

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    3. BJJ is extremely more involved than it looks. There is a lot more going on that I'm starting to notice, like how forgetting a small amount of pressure with your elbow on your opponents thigh can result in you being upside down in a pretzel before you know what happened... All because you failed to prevent a slight position change which gave up a ton of leverage.

You will continue to have that problem well in to the future. Right now I'm kind of going through a phase where I feel like I repeatedly make the same mistakes, or get coached on the same things. Things I should know. I just can't do two things right at the same time. I can do one thing and then forget about the other thing.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Warning****A Little Language***[video=youtube;3CGMWlXosp4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=3CGMWlXosp4[/video]

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    That's one of the things that keeps the journey in grappling going. If it was only what the "amateur" sees, you'd master it pretty quickly. It's part of the reason so many people boo when an MMA fight goes to the ground -- they just don't get everything that's going on. The very subtle shifts in position, balance, grips... there's some really subtle stuff going on in there that's difficult to see, but makes all the difference in the world. It won't be TOO long before you develop better habits. For a while you'll have to consciously think about not doing those stupid things -- keeping your limbs close, not extending things, not putting your hands on the ground, etc. You won't even have time to think about attacking. You WILL think about it, but when you do, you'll make a mistake and take a nap. Eventually you'll develop a better sense of that, better habits, and you won't have to think about it 100% of the time and you'll get to start thinking about the whole thing as a puzzle to solve. You just won't have many tools yet, and you'll be stuck. A while later, you'll have added more and more tools and you'll actually be able to start DOING things, to white belts. The more experienced guys will be a step ahead of you all the time. But then you'll slowly become one of those guys. It's an incredible journey, and I can't tell you how happy I am to see you and Jackson doing it. I can't wait until the day I get to see you put rhino to sleep.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Problem with martial arts clothing is that to get a uniform to fit across the shoulders and my bulbous belly means the arms and legs are to dang long.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Problem with martial arts clothing is that to get a uniform to fit across the shoulders and my bulbous belly means the arms and legs are to dang long.

Yep. I know I'll have to hem the cuffs. Anyone my weight and interested in martial arts must be 9 1/2ft tall.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I also have a Fuji gi. I believe there are some difference between the way BJJ gis and Judo gis are cut. I don't know off hand what the differences are, though. A quick google search found this article that may give some ideas:

The best BJJ gi for your body type (2016 Short and Stocky Edition)

My understanding (from no more than googling the question) is that BJJ gi are a little more snug around the legs and sleeves so there's less for the opponent to grab onto. I went with the Judo because they went up to 9 where he BJJ gi only went to 6 or 7.

I guess I don't really know of a BJJ 6 is equal to a Judo 6 though.

I found a company where I can send my measurements and they will tailor one to my needs, but with an 8 week turnaround, my hope is those measurements would change at least a bit before it was finished... And then there's the $350 price tag.

I also found a company called... wait for it... "Fatboy Jiu-Jitsu" that produces 2 style gi. The "Powdered Donut" and the "Oreo Wafer". I must admit, admire the way the guy has embraced the issue. His motto is "Train until you're not, and then train some more."

Fat Boy Jiu Jitsu

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I'm reevaluating... The kimono doesn't overlap as much as I'd like right now, and obviously some hemming is needed, but I can probably make this work.

Yeah yeah, fat man in a little coat...

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    The overlap is probably less important than whether the tight shoulders restrict movement. Can you move your arms?
    Yep. Full range of motion. My current middle is wider than my shoulders.

Do judo/BJJ gi not have side ties in the kimono? That messed me up a bit.

Top Bottom