• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    You are far to clever for me, I have no idea what point you are trying to make, so I am just going to assume that maybe you are drunk or just wanted to say something without really thinking about what you wanted to say before you came after me.
    Not that it has anything to do with this thread but in grammar school I was taught that a woman has a XX chromosome profile your definition may vary but this may not be the best thread to discuss it. Im pretty sure a vehicle neither knows or cares what it is named but I respect that you may believe otherwise.
    You need to keep up with news more often, that was a play on the newest SCOTUS senate testimony, no drinking needed for that level of craziness.

The names of particularly beloved cars and trucks are worth millions…

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    You need to keep up with news more often, that was a play on the newest SCOTUS senate testimony, no drinking needed for that level of craziness.

The names of particularly beloved cars and trucks are worth millions…
    As I already stated you are far too clever for me and I have no idea why you keep going off on tangents but we can all sense how brilliant you think you are. Some guy I think may have been a biologist once said "Form follows Function" and in an off road vehicle that is much more important to me than its styling or what it is called or what gender you think it may be or how it relates to the Supreme Court.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    As I already stated you are far too clever for me and I have no idea why you keep going off on tangents but we can all sense how brilliant you think you are. Some guy I think may have been a biologist once said "Form follows Function" and in an off road vehicle that is much more important to me than its styling or what it is called or what gender you think it may be or how it relates to the Supreme Court.
    :wrongdoor:

STAGE 2

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 26, 2019
    Fishers
    When they announced Ford was bringing back the Bronco, I had visions of retro styling like with the Mustang.
    What we got was a made over Land Rover in my most humble opinion. No knock on the effort just the retro name fanfare.
    The styling is OK if you like it just not a "Bronco" to many of us.

This. I wish Ford (and every other domestic manufacturer) would read the room. Since the demise of the Yukon/tahoe there have not been any 2 door full size 4x4's. Before the bronco was released someone leaked a photo of a bronco/f250 hybrid which I thought was outstanding and would have sold like hotcakes. Should have been terribly cost effective for ford too since more than half of their vehicle would have already been in production and the part that wasn't was just sheet metal. That would have been the perfect truck as the bronco's problem was always a weak chassis.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    This. I wish Ford (and every other domestic manufacturer) would read the room. Since the demise of the Yukon/tahoe there have not been any 2 door full size 4x4's. Before the bronco was released someone leaked a photo of a bronco/f250 hybrid which I thought was outstanding and would have sold like hotcakes. Should have been terribly cost effective for ford too since more than half of their vehicle would have already been in production and the part that wasn't was just sheet metal. That would have been the perfect truck as the bronco's problem was always a weak chassis.

They are selling everyone they make before they make it. Zero reason to diversify product now. Once sales slow down, variations pop up.

Consider it the Sig business model. Just probably no Rainbow Bronco...

STAGE 2

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 26, 2019
    Fishers
    They are selling everyone they make before they make it. Zero reason to diversify product now. Once sales slow down, variations pop up.

Consider it the Sig business model. Just probably no Rainbow Bronco...

Still would have been a hell of a lot cheaper to utilize the f250 than creating an entirely new platform.

STAGE 2

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 26, 2019
    Fishers
    I bet the bronco chassis is far cheaper than the F250 chassis. Then I would like that, you also would, but most have no need for that just looking cool on the street.

I might take that bet. Strictly vehicle to vehicle you're probably right. But when you factor in the cost of R&D, then having a completely separate line with completely separate parts and I'm not sure. There's a reason why for years truck manufacturers had identical interiors, bodies and other parts between their half ton and 3/4 ton trucks.

As far as needing, you're talking to a guy that thinks there's nothing cooler than manual hubs, vinyl floors and seats, and a big fat lever for the transfer case. Buttons are for computers and coffee makers.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I might take that bet. Strictly vehicle to vehicle you're probably right. But when you factor in the cost of R&D, then having a completely separate line with completely separate parts and I'm not sure. There's a reason why for years truck manufacturers had identical interiors, bodies and other parts between their half ton and 3/4 ton trucks.

As far as needing, you're talking to a guy that thinks there's nothing cooler than manual hubs, vinyl floors and seats, and a big fat lever for the transfer case. Buttons are for computers and coffee makers.
    We are brothers in that, simple is better. One thing missing in your analysis is the CAFE standards hit Ford would take with the heavy duty chassis that most street folks will never need…

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

I must admit the full on the fly button operation of the Yukon and my GMC Sierra were great for a daily. The spouse could use that with never getting out.
    The on demand 4X4 function in the Sierra truck was great for times when full 4X4 was not needed. Yeah I got soft.
    But the other 3 I owned over my life time were full manual operations. Especially the old Dodge power wagon I bought from a farmer oh so long ago. It never saw much road time as the list of repairs needed to operate on the roads was long and expensive. So it found another home after the coolness of it wore off. Left it on the family farm. It was used a lot.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I do.

The problem with naming the Maverick "Courier" instead is that Couriers were sold elsewhere in the world up until a few years ago and they want to differentiate:

View attachment 205747
    I bet more Americans remember the Ford Maverick (the car) than remember the old Courier or were familiar with the later overseas model. Makes no sense to use a car nameplate on a new truck when the old truck nameplate is available, except for the most likely reason, which is that Maverick sounds cooler than Courier.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I bet more Americans remember the Ford Maverick (the car) than remember the old Courier or were familiar with the later overseas model. Makes no sense to use a car nameplate on a new truck when the old truck nameplate is available, except for the most likely reason, which is that Maverick sounds cooler than Courier.
    My Dad had a Maverick when I was a kid...from a little kid's perspective, it wasn't too bad until it rusted speed holes in itself.

I see your points and don't disagree, but they are selling the Maverick overseas (I just checked the Ford Brasil website). I'm sure they want the same name everywhere and do not want the super-small, "wimpy" Courier confused with the new truck.

As for using "Maverick", it's a horse term and there's no way they were going with "Pinto". Heck, the way they throw around the "Mustang" name they just could have called "Mustang T".

Besides, regardless of the number of old guys buying them, they aimed the Maverick at 20 somethings....very few of whom have ever seen a Maverick (car).

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Just got an email that the order for my wife's bronco is scheduled to be built now. Hoping to have it mid-october.

We placed the order last October and dropped a few options that were causing further delays
    Good to hear. One of my colleagues ordered a fancy-pants F-150 (I forget if its a Platinum or Limited) with the 5.0L in February...and he's still driving his 2010 F-150.

Top Bottom