• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I find this scenario unlikely as everyone knows that they have . . . "common sense.":rolleyes:

No, you don't have common sense, that's why they had to paint the signs to include all four rules. They are life, follow them.

Maybe I am a bit anal, but when I have my 9mm out at home......I have the slide locked open and the ECI (empty chamber indicator) inserted.....habit from the range I use. But I ALWAYS know then that it is unloaded...and can't be fired.

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    Chamber flags FTW.

Last night, I spent about a half hour working on my draw upstairs in the loft. I know my weapon was safe because I'd disassembled it on the bed and installed my blade-tech training barrel.
    (representative picture only, this ain't me)
    511-training-barrel-003.jpg

This is the only time when my weapon is assembled that I am CERTAIN it is completely safe to handle.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    That first clip makes me cringe. I think only an anti-gunner would find that humorous. And you're right, people are forming opinions based on nonsense like that.

Taken out of context, it's absolutely cringeworthy. However, it perfectly displayed the character's complete and utter lack of common sense. The scene is entirely typical of his behavior. It's meant to be absurd, not realistic. It's not a documentary, for crying out loud. Anyone who thinks that kids are learning gun safety from stuff like this are the same ones claiming Ozzy Osbourne makes kids go out and kill chickens.

It's from a British comedy called The I.T. Crowd and it's absolutely hysterical.

BBSparkle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Taken out of context, it's absolutely cringeworthy. However, it perfectly displayed the character's complete and utter lack of common sense. The scene is entirely typical of his behavior. It's meant to be absurd, not realistic. It's not a documentary, for crying out loud. Anyone who thinks that kids are learning gun safety from stuff like this are the same ones claiming Ozzy Osbourne makes kids go out and kill chickens.

It's from a British comedy called The I.T. Crowd and it's absolutely hysterical.

LOVE that show. Good to see it getting around.

IndyMedic

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I just want to know what is going through the minds of these people when they purposefully put a gun to there head or point it at someone else and pull the trigger. Even if the gun is checked and double checked, why would you think that is a good idea.

These are the people that give the anti-gun advocates something to work with.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    The one most single thing learned early on was "always treat the gun as is it were loaded" from there all safety falls in place. Point in a safe direction, remove mag, and check chamber. Borrowed but absolutly true "only point the gun at what you want to destroy."

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I just want to know what is going through the minds of these people when they purposefully put a gun to there head or point it at someone else and pull the trigger. Even if the gun is checked and double checked, why would you think that is a good idea.

Because most people have not seen what bullets do to bodies thus they do not fear guns. Heck, ask INGO coppers how many times people have laughed or made gestures while being held at gun point. They've never been shot and don't know how it feels (like liquid fire).

Now, pull out a knife and see the reaction you get. People will say "whoa" or freeze. Why do you think they use switchblades in Hollywood, the sound.

Most people have been cut, even if it is slicing bagels in the kitchen. Fewer people have been shot so they do stupid things with guns.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ...These are the people that give the anti-gun advocates something to work with.

I still don't get that. When a gun performs its function exactly as designed, you can't really blame it as if it did something unexpected. :dunno:

Anti idiocy advocates are certainly warranted. A push for gun safety instruction in the schools might just make an impact.

Smokepole

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    Southern Hamilton County
    When you start introducing "what if" ("what if I just cleared it?" "what if I counted the rounds I fired"), etc. then you introduce Margin For Error. If you treat it likes it's always loaded, ESPECIALLY when you think it's unloaded, you reduce the risk of an accidental injury by orders of magnitude.

EXACTLY!!!! Great point. I was taught from as early as I can remember: Son, do you know what the most dangerous gun in the world is?? The UNLOADED gun.

Also known as, the gun that you THINK is unloaded. Or the gun that you THINK that you know is unloaded.

HONEST Dad, I THOUGHT it wasn't loaded ! ! ! ! ! ! ! :ugh:

Smokepole

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    Southern Hamilton County
    I still don't get that. When a gun performs its function exactly as designed, you can't really blame it as if it did something unexpected. :dunno:

Anti idiocy advocates are certainly warranted. A push for gun safety instruction in the schools might just make an impact.

Yes, Yes it would. Back in the 50's and early 60's the NY Public schools had shooting sports & clubs held after school on. And the kids would carry their .22 cal. rifles to and from school, sometimes on the subway.

No institutional paranoia there. :ar15:

Smokepole

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    Southern Hamilton County

These are the people that give the anti-gun advocates something to work with.

Some people just aren't thinking at the time. It reminds me of something that happened around me back when I was in high school. There were several of us over at a friends house. This friend's step-father had several guns, pistols and rifles both. Every now and then, when the parents weren't home, he would go back and take out a gun or two and show them around.

Now most of us had grown up around guns and had been out on the range many times. And as such were quite familiar with them and what they are capable of. We all had arms of our own whether firearm or BB guns. All except one.

This time there were 5 or 6 of us in the house, no parents, and my friend decides it's time to show off the handheld artillery, a .38 spl. He goes back and brings out the weapon and starts to show it around and hands it to one of the fellas. The gun makes the rounds and conversation of other subjects continues. In the meantime the guns gets around to the guy with no firearms experience. Conversation continues and my buddy looks up to see Mr. inexperience pointing the gun at his forehead. His eyes get as big as saucers and he holds up his hands and yells, STOP, IT'S LOADED!!!! I look up at this point and can feel the blood drain from my face. Mr. inexperience takes the gun off point, looks at it in his hand, then gently lays it on the table and says man, I am glad you stopped me, I was about to pull the trigger. Total silence for about 5 minutes as all are thinking about what almost happened.

My friend walks over and picks up the gun, then puts it back. And I don't recall him ever bringing out any more of his stepdad's guns like that again.

Now, I can hear all of the thoughts going through all of the minds now as you guys read this. It is all the same things that go through my mind EVERY time that I remember this event. And I remember this EVERY time the subject of firearm safety comes to the forefront of conversation. ESPECIALLY firearms safety and children.

I have 3 kids, 7, 9 & 11. All have shot a firearm and all have been schooled in firearm safety. The #1 overall rule:

What is the most dangerous gun in the world??? The UNLOADED GUN!! Treat EVERY gun as if it is loaded. Period.

With that they know the 4 rules of firearms safety.

And I train my kids to shoot so that they will know and understand firearms and what they can and will do if used. They are also aware that if they EVER remove one of my guns without permission, that action will be a life altering event for them. In the event above, Mr. Inexperience had absolutely no experience with firearms or firearm safety at all. As a result we almost experienced a life altering tragedy. That along with a REALLY stupid move by our friend and the rest of us for not correcting the situation.

Feel free to relate this story to others to illustrate proper safety and training. It is 1000% true.

Last edited:

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Some things just need to be programmed into your brain as a reflex. If, in your mind, the perception is "loaded", the other rules follow. As brilliantly intelligent as I am, even I realize that some things need to be things you don't have to "think about". Dropping out of gear before you let off the clutch, that kind of thing. I ALWAYS check my shift lever before I just let out the clutch. It's a reflex. I don't have to think about it anymore, but I'm still conscious of it, and I don't dump the clutch into gear. It's like watching myself as a movie that's doing the right thing, but I can take over if I see myself breaking discipline.

My gun is ALWAYS loaded. It's a reflex. I don't cover anything with the muzzle that I wouldn't shoot. Because it's loaded, and that's dangerous. I don't put my finger on the trigger until I intend to pull it. Because it's loaded, and that's dangerous. I know which way it's pointed and what will die if I fire in that direction. Because it's loaded, and that's dangerous. It just follows. I don't care if there's no ammunition of the right caliber in the room with me, even if I'm dry firing, it's in a safe direction. Because it's loaded, and that's dangerous. I know where everyone else is in the house (there's only one these days so it's pretty easy) and don't point anything in that general direction. Because it's loaded, and that's dangerous. Call it "sense" or call it a trained reaction. I'm not saying it's not possible that I'll ever have an AD, but damned if I'm ever going to have an ND, any more than I'm going to run over any of the kids with the bus. Because, even though I train that to the state of a reflex, I'm constantly conscious of it, and reviewing it. I watch myself, expecting my reflex will do it right, but if I ever see me not doing it right, I can take over.

Top Bottom