• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I like the word games you defense attorneys play with things like "Ghost molecules," inferring that they do not exist. Radiation is like a ghost molecule, but I doubt you hang out in the x-ray room.

The flip side of this is that I would like some REAL justification for my rights being infringed based on something that it technically correct but practically wrong (i.e., drug residue being present at some time past for reasons that have nothing to do with any willful act on my part).

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    I like the word games you defense attorneys play with things like "Ghost molecules," inferring that they do not exist. Radiation is like a ghost molecule, but I doubt you hang out in the x-ray room.

Unfortunately for your example, radiation is quantifiable and readily measurable. I like hanging out in X-Ray rooms, it gives me a warm fuzzy.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Kirk, I have a dumb question: How does it work out in the event that a vehicle is searched based on the probable cause of the infallible nose indicating drugs, only to have the officer discover the complete absence of drugs but finds contraband of a completely unrelated nature?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    How does it work out in the event that a vehicle is searched based on the probable cause of the infallible nose indicating drugs, only to have the officer discover the complete absence of drugs but finds contraband of a completely unrelated nature?

You mean like when the cops testify at dep that dogs only smell meth, horse, coke and pot and then testify at hearing that dogs have evolved the ability to smell pills? Like that? Like like I am still sore over that alleged scenario or anything.

Well, last time it worked out like: I file a motion, roll around on the courtroom floor frothing at the mouth during hearing as police testify to Darwinism in action right here in Tippecanoe County, judge denies motion to suppress and order me not to stroke out, then denies interloc appeal, guy convicted at trial (evidence is in, no brainer), but judge gives an optimal sentence and client declines to appeal.

rw496

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 16, 2011
    Lake County
    Kirk, I have a dumb question: How does it work out in the event that a vehicle is searched based on the probable cause of the infallible nose indicating drugs, only to have the officer discover the complete absence of drugs but finds contraband of a completely unrelated nature?
    You're screwed.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Well, last time it worked out like: I file a motion, roll around on the courtroom floor frothing at the mouth during hearing as police testify to Darwinism in action right here in Tippecanoe County, judge denies motion to suppress and order me not to stroke out, then denies interloc appeal, guy convicted at trial (evidence is in, no brainer), but judge gives an optimal sentence and client declines to appeal.
    Are these Dogs GSD or Belgium Malinois?!

If they are GSDs i would be interested in breeding them into my *****es, I mean they are after all an evolutionary step ahead of mine...

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    You mean like when the cops testify at dep that dogs only smell meth, horse, coke and pot and then testify at hearing that dogs have evolved the ability to smell pills? Like that? Like like I am still sore over that alleged scenario or anything.

You're screwed.

So in other words, the dog's nose has become a de facto writ of assistance?

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Not if there was a way to challenge the reliability and Spontaneous Stiuational Darwinism of the dogs, see e.g. Kirk's Modest Proposal.

So, when the dog indicates non-existent drugs, but the cop finds the nuclear bomb in the trunk, there might be an argument to suppress?

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Are you saying Kirk is not a good attorney?
    Don't know what Kirk's record is as far as him being a Good attorney. I have never needed an Attorney in Indiana for Criminal Matters...

I think Kirk's problem was that his witness didn't have pockets deep enough to help the cause...

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Don't know what Kirk's record is as far as him being a Good attorney. I have never needed an Attorney in Indiana for Criminal Matters...

I think Kirk's problem was that his witness didn't have pockets deep enough to help the cause...

Well, for 20 bucks more he would have popped in a couple alkeseltzer tabs before he started rolling on the floor....

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    bet With a good Attorney, and key Trainers, and Breeders one could make a LEA look pretty damn stupid on the stand over that...

Oh, yeah, but that's not always a winner, albeit satisfying to say "Situational, Spontaneous Selection" in the courtroom.

It is one that I will be bitter about for the rest of the career. It wasn't right and it happened in front of me.

Top Bottom