The New EDC Perfection... M&P m2.0 Compact!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    Any new reports from the op? I should be picking mine up next week

I'm glad you asked. I did shoot 50 rounds at my son's house this past Sunday, but there are no target pics since I was shooting at steel. I did discover a couple of interesting things about the M&P m2.0 Compact that I did not notice on my other M&P's. First and foremost, this gun likes to be shot faster than my other M&Ps, due to the front sight coming back to rest more quickly than even my full sized M&Ps. Why? I'm not sure yet, but I like it. Second, I finally tried the "Medium Large" back-strap and really like it better than the medium inserts on my other M&Ps. I believe this is due to the fact that it fills the middle of my palm, much like my other favorite handgun, the PPQ.

I will work on getting a more complete review and some target pictures when I get a bit more range time. I also ordered the new Olight PL Mini Valkyrie, which should match the size of teh M&P 2.0 Compact quite well. This will allow the new M&P to serve as my bedside gun as well as being a primary EDC.

More to come...

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Gglass, good thread. I tend to agree with you and that's why I'm trying not to experience the 2.0 compact on the range that way it doesn't cost me a lot of money by going back to s&w from glocks:):
    For me if they would have had the 2.0 compact out several tears ago I would have never left the M&P9 for a glock 19. Now I have so many mags and glock 19's and training and practice with my glocks that it would be a huge deal to switch back. Yeah I never go slow into anything, it would be full tilt!
    I do have shields (yeah I said shield(s)). I love the 2.0 shield, but I always loved the old one too. I also have a glock 43 and the shield wins in that side by side. I just haven't been able to bring myself to part with my sweet little baby 43 lol. I also have a s&w bodyguard semi auto and I think it's an amazingly accurate piece and a gun that begs to be shot. Even though I am no fan of the .380 cartridge, i do believe it can have it's place when absolute deep discression is key.

Oh and most importantly is that a Hamilton watch in the pic? And what kind of cool clock is that? Classy

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Now that I have a Full-size 2.0, I wish I wouldn't have wasted time with the Glock Gen5's as I originally passed up the S&W for some reason. I find the 2.0 to be a much improved gun in both design and handling. It's probably one of the most comfortable and enjoyable handguns I've shot. If funds weren't tight right now, I'd probably get a compact to replace the CZ P10C that I recently sold.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    Gglass, good thread. I tend to agree with you and that's why I'm trying not to experience the 2.0 compact on the range that way it doesn't cost me a lot of money by going back to s&w from glocks:):
    For me if they would have had the 2.0 compact out several tears ago I would have never left the M&P9 for a glock 19. Now I have so many mags and glock 19's and training and practice with my glocks that it would be a huge deal to switch back. Yeah I never go slow into anything, it would be full tilt!
    I do have shields (yeah I said shield(s)). I love the 2.0 shield, but I always loved the old one too. I also have a glock 43 and the shield wins in that side by side. I just haven't been able to bring myself to part with my sweet little baby 43 lol. I also have a s&w bodyguard semi auto and I think it's an amazingly accurate piece and a gun that begs to be shot. Even though I am no fan of the .380 cartridge, i do believe it can have it's place when absolute deep discression is key.

Oh and most importantly is that a Hamilton watch in the pic? And what kind of cool clock is that? Classy

Trigger Time,
    Ah, yes... The important stuff. I have to admit that I don't own Hamilton or Omega watches, or anything in between. Like my firearms, I tend to lean toward the more pedestrian things in life. The watch is a Timex Expedition and is one of a few. I really like the look of these watches and the best part is that I don't have to worry about damaging the watch, since they are inexpensive enough to throw in the back of a drawer if it ever has a mishap. My thinking about firearms if much the same. I want a gun that is super-dependable, but one that I don't wave to worry about scuffs and dings.

I've owned enough M&Ps to know that they go bang every time I pull the trigger, and the Ruger LCP has a dependability story too. I have owned a few LCPs, which have never let me down and this one in particular has even gone through a house fire. It was then restored and refinished by me, and it is just as dependable as ever. To me, the picture represents a theme of hard use devices with timeless dependability.

As for the clock in the picture... It adds to the timeless part of the theme, and it is one that my wife and I found at a Home Goods store. We like it because it was so different, and makes an interesting conversation piece in the front foyer.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    Have any of you tried the apex trigger kits in the 2.0?

The dirty little secret about the 2.0s is that unless you need a forward set or flat-faced trigger you can get Apex quality without Apex parts. If you know where and how to polish the correct trigger parts you can get a world-class striker trigger.

I have reworked several M&P 2.0s since they were introduced and have made most a crisp 3.5lbs. This latest is now a carry-safe sub-5lbs, with a crisp break and almost zero over-travel. All without Apex anything or after-market springs.

Indyal

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Thanks for the info guys. Personally I am satisfied with the action of the trigger but don’t like the tight curve shape and smooth texture.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    I thought that folks might want to see how well the Flight PL Mini fits the M&P 2.0 Compact. It looks like they were designed together.... Very sweet 400 lumen light!

y5f7Z7rh.jpg

Last edited:

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    Range Review:

I was able to make an impromptu stop at a local range while my wife went shopping nearby. On the way I picked up a 100 rnd box of cheap aluminum case ammo and some ear plugs. I purchased just 2 targets at the range so that I could warm up on the first and get serious on the second. What you see below is the result of the serious work.

Once I swapped targets, I sent the serious target out to 10 yards to get started. These are my first (off-hand) 5 rounds on target, and to say I was pleased would be a huge understatement. I might have expected a 5-shot group like this from my custom 1911, or possibly even my custom Walther PPQ, but I DID NOT expect it from the M&P Compact. I actually started to get nervous after the first 3 shots, since all I could do was mess up the group from there. I pulled the target back to get this picture, before continuing:
    K2N4NStl.jpg

I finished the center of the target at 10-yards and then moved the target to 12-yards to shoot the left and right circles and the head area. The below pics show the close up shots of the 12-yard circles:

FDnu7Oll.jpg

DEDFtmPl.jpg

The overall picture of the target shows the results of both 10 and 12-yard shots from an off-hand standing position.
    SzVUgSol.jpg

I cannot express how pleased I am with the new M&P m2.0 Compact. I have had zero issues in the first 3 range sessions, and the accuracy results speak for themselves. Having a carry pistol that can shoot like a match gun, with cheap ammo, and also be 100% reliable (so far), is the holy-grail of what we all look for in an EDC... I found mine!

nrgrams

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jun 3, 2013
    Columbus
    Range Review:

I was able to make an impromptu stop at a local range while my wife went shopping nearby. On the way I picked up a 100 rnd box of cheap aluminum case ammo and some ear plugs. I purchased just 2 targets at the range so that I could warm up on the first and get serious on the second. What you see below is the result of the serious work.

Once I swapped targets, I sent the serious target out to 10 yards to get started. These are my first (off-hand) 5 rounds on target, and to say I was pleased would be a huge understatement. I might have expected a 5-shot group like this from my custom 1911, or possibly even my custom Walther PPQ, but I DID NOT expect it from the M&P Compact. I actually started to get nervous after the first 3 shots, since all I could do was mess up the group from there. I pulled the target back to get this picture, before continuing:
    K2N4NStl.jpg

I finished the center of the target at 10-yards and then moved the target to 12-yards to shoot the left and right circles and the head area. The below pics show the close up shots of the 12-yard circles:

FDnu7Oll.jpg

DEDFtmPl.jpg

The overall picture of the target shows the results of both 10 and 12-yard shots from an off-hand standing position.
    SzVUgSol.jpg

I cannot express how pleased I am with the new M&P m2.0 Compact. I have had zero issues in the first 3 range sessions, and the accuracy results speak for themselves. Having a carry pistol that can shoot like a match gun, with cheap ammo, and also be 100% reliable (so far), is the holy-grail of what we all look for in an EDC... I found mine!

Great shooting! I''ve had good luck with accuracy with my 2.0 5", but most of my guns are more accurate than I am lol.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Range Review:

K2N4NStl.jpg

FDnu7Oll.jpg

DEDFtmPl.jpg

SzVUgSol.jpg

1. Impressive! I can only do that at 15' :dunno:
    2. I can't wait to rent one at the range to see if I get "new and improved" groupings. :laugh:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Now that I have a Full-size 2.0, I wish I wouldn't have wasted time with the Glock Gen5's as I originally passed up the S&W for some reason. I find the 2.0 to be a much improved gun in both design and handling. It's probably one of the most comfortable and enjoyable handguns I've shot. If funds weren't tight right now, I'd probably get a compact to replace the CZ P10C that I recently sold.

1. You know how I handle such things: sell and buy, or in my case: buy, buy and buy and then sell then buy, buy, and buy. :lmfao:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Range Review:

Nice shooting. I have not tried any real serious paper shooting with mine as I have been shooting steel plates mostly at 15 - 20 yards (which I know can make one lazy when it comes to shooting), but I've been very happy with mine as well.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Picked mine up from the atterbury pro shop. I was on my lunch so no time to shoot it, but it feels nice. I will be doing a lot of dry firing trying to get that little bit of new smith grit out of it, but I like the weight of the trigger. I'm impressed with how easily the m&p's sights naturally align as opposed to other handguns that require a bit of muscle memory. I even like the factory sights. I'll feed it this weekend and see how it runs.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Picked mine up from the atterbury pro shop. I was on my lunch so no time to shoot it, but it feels nice. I will be doing a lot of dry firing trying to get that little bit of new smith grit out of it, but I like the weight of the trigger. I'm impressed with how easily the m&p's sights naturally align as opposed to other handguns that require a bit of muscle memory. I even like the factory sights. I'll feed it this weekend and see how it runs.

Yep, I actually liked the factory sights as well, but I did swap them on the 1 I'm going to carry (got another in the safe as a backup). I got Kenny over at Bradis to put some Trijicon HD's on for me.

While we are on this subject if anyone finds a really reasonable place/website to purchase 2.0 Compact 15 round mags (yes, I know I can scoop up the full size mags cheap) post it up. I'm used to carrying Glocks and buying OEM mags cheap and often. These 2.0 Compact mags are still a bit high for my taste, but I'd rather have the flush fit 15 rounders than the full size 17's if I can get them reasonably.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2017
    Southern Indiana
    Yep, I actually liked the factory sights as well, but I did swap them on the 1 I'm going to carry (got another in the safe as a backup). I got Kenny over at Bradis to put some Trijicon HD's on for me.

While we are on this subject if anyone finds a really reasonable place/website to purchase 2.0 Compact 15 round mags (yes, I know I can scoop up the full size mags cheap) post it up. I'm used to carrying Glocks and buying OEM mags cheap and often. These 2.0 Compact mags are still a bit high for my taste, but I'd rather have the flush fit 15 rounders than the full size 17's if I can get them reasonably.

I picked up at three pack at Quantico Tactical for $72 awhile back. Best deal I could find at the time.

Top Bottom