The New EDC Perfection... M&P m2.0 Compact!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Also, when I owned a first generation FS M&P I did not shoot it very well. It hit low and left even though my other pistols did not. I know I could have trained out of this but wasn't patient so I sold it.

Anyone having any issues with hits on targets?

I've always had this issue with the M&P trigger. Apex has brought every M&P right back on target. I still have a 1.0 with the factory trigger. Shoots low and left. Its a 45 and has the worst M&P trigger I have ever felt.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    No issues with the 2.0 hitting center mass the trigger is a big improvement over the 1.0
    The grip is fine for me no slipping pinky with the 15 rd mags.
    I have two of the 17 rd mags with the spacer that give a full size grip and the 15 rd for concealment.
    About 1200 rounds including a class zero malfunctions of any type.
    I can shoot this faster and with better accuracy than the SIG it replaces.

Topshot

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 16, 2015
    Terre Haute
    I tried running mine again and not good for this southpaw at least. Slide release using left thumb takes much more pressure and is also farther forward than Glocks so I must release my grip to reach it. I like the gun otherwise aside from needing sights with more space. I'll give it another try before moving on.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I tried running mine again and not good for this southpaw at least. Slide release using left thumb takes much more pressure and is also farther forward than Glocks so I must release my grip to reach it. I like the gun otherwise aside from needing sights with more space. I'll give it another try before moving on.

Coming from glocks I have always trained to overhand slide release rather than trying to work little levers. I believe there are some aftermarket ones that stick out further, but i'd rather the small non catching slide release on a carry pistol. using your off hand to pop the slide rather than loosing main hand grip to operate the slide release is probably faster as well.

I have put another couple hundred through my 40sw 2.0 compact and it always surprises me how gentle it shoots. I could shoot it all day if the ammo bucket would keep refilling. I'm liking the factory sights more as well. They seem to be dead nuts 6oclock hold. The trigger is getting smoother, but I wish it had a louder reset. I was spoiled by the reset on the omega p07's, and I just want that "click" sound and feel when I ride the trigger forward. It is a carry pistol tho and the factory trigger is smooth and rock solid reliable so I will not be messing with it.

I am starting to see defined lines on the slide from my holster. I work my glock 32 from the holster just as much if not more and it shows no lines or wear, both are getting new eclipse owb holsters today so maybe a higher end kydex won't rub the slide as much. It may end up getting cerakoted if the finish wear continues, just for protection from sweat and everything else an under the shirt but owb carry pistol comes into contact with.

Overall I'm very pleased. I'll be more pleased when a factory 357sig barrel and followers come out for it.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Older thread, but didn't want to start a new one. On the grip comparing between the FS and compact it appears the compact does not have that slight flare like the FS. Does your hand fit well on the compact? How about that pinky finger? Does it stay on the grip or is there a tendancy for it to slip off since the flare is not present?

I need to get to a shop and hold one, but I am still very interested. I would like a nightstand, carry, car and potential IDPA all in one pistol and this one looks like it might be as close as I can get.

Also, when I owned a first generation FS M&P I did not shoot it very well. It hit low and left even though my other pistols did not. I know I could have trained out of this but wasn't patient so I sold it.

You can shoot mine sometime in Columbus.

Topshot

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 16, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Coming from glocks I have always trained to overhand slide release rather than trying to work little levers. I believe there are some aftermarket ones that stick out further, but i'd rather the small non catching slide release on a carry pistol. using your off hand to pop the slide rather than loosing main hand grip to operate the slide release is probably faster as well.
    I've not had an issue releasing the slide with a stock Gen 5 Glock. I can release the M&P right handed, just not left very well because the release is about 1/8" farther forward on that side. I did play with the support hand thumb and that worked OK. Overhand would be my last option.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have been buying and selling too much in the last few years looking for that "just right" pistol. I have a 1911 which I really like. No trigger compares to it and being a 9mm in such a heavy pistol, it puts a smile on face every time I shoot it.

But I have this philosophy that I should own a high capacity pistol. So I have owned a P226, a M&P FS(original version), a CZ 75 from their custom shop and I have shot my brothers G34. Iv'e looked at the VP9 and PPQ but never shot one.

When Smith came out with this 2.0 Compact it looked to me at first glance that it may be what I am looking for. We will see.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    I got one of these for an early fathers day present. So far so good. I want to get some more rounds through it before I decide to change sights/buy a holster. It won't reppace the glocks but it might be carried.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

I have put another couple hundred through my 40sw 2.0 compact and it always surprises me how gentle it shoots. I could shoot it all day if the ammo bucket would keep refilling. I'm liking the factory sights more as well. They seem to be dead nuts 6oclock hold. The trigger is getting smoother, but I wish it had a louder reset. I was spoiled by the reset on the omega p07's, and I just want that "click" sound and feel when I ride the trigger forward. It is a carry pistol tho and the factory trigger is smooth and rock solid reliable so I will not be messing with it.

I am starting to see defined lines on the slide from my holster. I work my glock 32 from the holster just as much if not more and it shows no lines or wear, both are getting new eclipse owb holsters today so maybe a higher end kydex won't rub the slide as much. It may end up getting cerakoted if the finish wear continues, just for protection from sweat and everything else an under the shirt but owb carry pistol comes into contact with.

Overall I'm very pleased. I'll be more pleased when a factory 357sig barrel and followers come out for it.

I wouldn't worry too much about the finish since the metal is treated independent of the finish they apply, and the slide is also stainless steel (I know that does not preclude rust, but between that and the "Armornite" treatment it should really not have any rust problems if you you wear through the finish on the slide).

Of course if you just want it to look like new, I get that, but again shouldn't be an issue.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Older thread, but didn't want to start a new one. On the grip comparing between the FS and compact it appears the compact does not have that slight flare like the FS. Does your hand fit well on the compact? How about that pinky finger? Does it stay on the grip or is there a tendancy for it to slip off since the flare is not present?

I need to get to a shop and hold one, but I am still very interested. I would like a nightstand, carry, car and potential IDPA all in one pistol and this one looks like it might be as close as I can get.

My hand fits them both just fine. I have bigger hands, and my compact 1.0 was a little too small for me. The FS 1.0s that I have all seem fine. The 2.0c fits fine. I guess I am just fretting over the loss of two rounds, even though I can get the FS mags in, although I have a couple of range mags that do not lock the slide back on the 2.0.

Wife has taken the 2.0c from me. I might find a local shop and see what the FS feels like compared to the compact. Turns out my CT lasers will not swap to the full sized 2.0 anyhow, so that is a wash. Another reason I am not jumping on another new gun for carry.

Oh yeah, I hit low and to the left until I bring myself out of it. Figure it is a trigger finger issue. I find myself not wanting to put too much pad on the trigger and end up just having the tip engage. Once I correct that I do better... not good as anyonoe who has shot with me will attest to, but better.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    It has been a while since I posted anything new about my M&P40 m2.0 compact, but I now have a reason to do so. Having already posted about the stellar performance of my EDC M&P, I still found that I wanted to upgrade the sights. This is not due to a shortcoming of the pistol, but rather a shortcoming in my 50+ year old eyes. As I age I find it harder to stay focused on my target while still keeping my sights in proper alignment. Although it has not been too much of a detriment to my accuracy overall, it has been a detriment to the speed of my presentation to the target... Things just take a little longer to align the sight picture for that first shot.

The previous solution to my aging eye problem was to put Fiber Optic sights on my competition pistols, but for my EDC M&P I wanted to try something different. So after much research and reading various reviews I decided to try Diamond Speed Sights, and as a spoiler I'll tell you that I'm glad I did.

After receiving my new Speed Sights in record time (ordered on Friday and delivered on Monday), I wasted no time installing them on my M&P40 m2.0 compact. I could tell immediately that other reviewer's claims of faster sight picture acquisition were true. I was a bit shocked at how quickly the font and rear sights seemed to magnetically attract the eye against the target at distance. The reason was obvious, very large and highly contrasted diamonds just grab your attention as you make your presentation.

To confirm my suspicion that the Diamond Speed Sights would allow me to more quickly align my sights against a target i headed off to the range. Once setup, I placed the target at my preferred self-defense practice distance of 10 yards and quickly went to work. What I found was that my first shot upon presentation was at least 1 full second faster with these new Speed Sights. They are just so large and attention grabbing that you immediately know that you are right on target, and it is just as simple as pressing the trigger to prove it out... In 50 rounds of slow and fast fire shooting I do not recall a single "called flyer" out of the bunch. They all just impacted right where they should have without any surprises.

Having confirmed that the Speed Sights live up to their name, I wanted to test a few shots for accuracy, and I have to report that I was very pleased. As most of us would agree large sights do not usually equal accurate sights, since they are designed for gross alignment and not fine alignment. This is where the Diamond Speed sights really start to differentiate themselves from other large speed shooting sights like XS Big Dots. Other large sights just tend to cover your target and simply cannot allow for granular sight alignment like the thin front blade of target sights. The Diamond Speed sights allow for very fine control by allowing the shooter to focus on the very tiny tip of the front diamond for those times when you want to make a very deliberate "marksman" shot. I have described to friends that these new sights are the iron-sight equivalent of having cross-hairs on your handgun.

I have only been to the range twice with the new Diamond Speed sights, but I can already say that until something radically better comes along I will NOT be replacing these sights... I'm not holding my breath.

I did not do a lot of shots for small groups, since most of my shooting so far has been for speed, but below is an example of a spectacular 3 shot group at 10 yards:

bKgZD3ml.jpg

LH8XqqMl.jpg

DS9GRNql.jpg

My only regret with Diamond Speed sights is that I cannot outfit them on my other pistols like my 1911s, PPQs or CZs (or LCP, Haha) because the manufacturer is not yet producing sights for those pistols. When they do, I'll be the first in line.

This is not a paid testimonial: Home - Speed Sights

Last edited:

rlfrye

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    The Tuck
    I have a 1.0 9c that has been my edc. I also have the 2.0 compact and 2.0 fs. I love shooting both 2.0's, and shoot them better than the 9c.
    My only issue is carrying with the aggressive texture, it is a little grabby on skin and clothing for me.
    I have been debating getting something different, but think I will just hit them with sandpaper.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2017
    Southern Indiana
    I have a 1.0 9c that has been my edc. I also have the 2.0 compact and 2.0 fs. I love shooting both 2.0's, and shoot them better than the 9c.
    My only issue is carrying with the aggressive texture, it is a little grabby on skin and clothing for me.
    I have been debating getting something different, but think I will just hit them with sandpaper.

That's what I did. Just go slow, test on a backstrap you're not going to use.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Gonna try and resurrect this...again. :)

I went on and bought the CZ P10C. Loved that it checked all the boxes I wanted; EDC, range, home defense, training, competition.

That said I am on my third trigger (including factory) to get rid of the pain that my trigger finger experiences after some rounds downrange. My initial thought was, like a guitar player, just toughen up my finger. The more I think about it, I'm not sure I should have to get used to a firearm inducing pain like that.

At this point, I think it is a design flaw with CZ. The trigger guard opening is smallish. Last night I took my other firearms out and my finger does not touch the trigger guard on any of them except for the CZ. Even my Shield provides plenty of daylight between my finger and the bottom of the trigger guard.

So, I'm back to thinking I ought to try the 2.0 Compact. I do know my finger stays away from the guard and I haven't heard any complaints in that area.

It pains me to think I may have to try once again to find that "perfect" pistol for me. Especially since I have invested in two holsters, a trigger and extra mags for the CZ. It could be a tough sell.

Are you guys still happy with your Smith's? How many of you have sold them and moved on? And if so, why did you sell them?

Thanks.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2017
    Southern Indiana
    Gonna try and resurrect this...again. :)

I went on and bought the CZ P10C. Loved that it checked all the boxes I wanted; EDC, range, home defense, training, competition.

That said I am on my third trigger (including factory) to get rid of the pain that my trigger finger experiences after some rounds downrange. My initial thought was, like a guitar player, just toughen up my finger. The more I think about it, I'm not sure I should have to get used to a firearm inducing pain like that.

At this point, I think it is a design flaw with CZ. The trigger guard opening is smallish. Last night I took my other firearms out and my finger does not touch the trigger guard on any of them except for the CZ. Even my Shield provides plenty of daylight between my finger and the bottom of the trigger guard.

So, I'm back to thinking I ought to try the 2.0 Compact. I do know my finger stays away from the guard and I haven't heard any complaints in that area.

It pains me to think I may have to try once again to find that "perfect" pistol for me. Especially since I have invested in two holsters, a trigger and extra mags for the CZ. It could be a tough sell.

Are you guys still happy with your Smith's? How many of you have sold them and moved on? And if so, why did you sell them?

Thanks.

Still happy with all mine. I did add a 19X to the mix and rotation for something a little different.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    I have about 1,500 rounds though mine, added a apex flat trigger have shot a few classes with it great pistol and it’s not a Glock.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I have mine sitting idle. Thought the wife wanted it, but she is on the Shield kick right now.

Haven't put a lot of rounds thru the compact. I have carried a full size for so long that it doesn't bother me. Losing two rounds in the gun wasn't a big deal, but the laser grip was.

Picked up a 2.0 FS and it runs fine. Same size and the CT grip fits it. Still have the old one as EDC for now, but want to move this one up and move the other into the back-up role.

If the wife decides she wants to keep the Shield I will sell the compact, just because I already have enough same platform back-ups so I doubt I will use it.

Top Bottom