• Status
    Not open for further replies.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    If a tranny was all their was between me and road itd be done. But im all self taught i rent all my gear and learn as i go. Id need new rubber. Its like i said a ton of tiny things and a few biggies. Im to the point now where i may need some expertise to continue on. Ive learned a lot but some things require experience.
    We are here to help. Gotta put another Poncho on the road.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I've been listening to the podcast that Big Chief and Shawn put on. Not bad stuff. The newest one today has JJ Da Boss from Memphis in it. Wow. That dude is awesome. Pure redneck but one heck of a guy.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder

I prefer tails:

253186810271266666_XjaYl7L9_f.jpg

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I've been listening to the podcast that Big Chief and Shawn put on. Not bad stuff. The newest one today has JJ Da Boss from Memphis in it. Wow. That dude is awesome. Pure redneck but one heck of a guy.

Yeah, I have listened to a few of their pod casts and it's usually pretty darn entertaining. I'm not sure about JJ, he has moments of redneck, fast talking used car salesman/ hustler/shady dude and then sometimes he seems like a decent guy. I don't know what he got jammed up for but I know he spent some time in a federal pen. I only say that because he has those moments when I can't help but wonder how shady he really is. As much as he has been on SO this season and the end of last, I wonder if Discovery is trying to set him up with his own show of some kind.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    New project in the shop. '65 Riviera. Owned by a local politician, his grandfather bought it new. In for a few minor things to make sure it's safe to drive. She's a pretty rough old girl, typical Northern Indiana car.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This has the ability to be a really good deal.

https://chicago.craigslist.org/nwi/cto/6162448535.html

Little known fact about these cars. The 12 bolts are not really full on 12 bolts. They have a 12 bolt cover for sure. You pull the carrier and the guts are 10 bolt equivalent. I just went through all of this with the rear end in the Cuttlass we are doing. So it is not a 12 bolt.

The 442's have an 8 7/8ths inch ring gear but not the cutlass.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Little known fact about these cars. The 12 bolts are not really full on 12 bolts. They have a 12 bolt cover for sure. You pull the carrier and the guts are 10 bolt equivalent. I just went through all of this with the rear end in the Cuttlass we are doing. So it is not a 12 bolt.

The 442's have an 8 7/8ths inch ring gear but not the cutlass.
    Yes sir. The BOP cars had some strange engineering going on. I've actually heard that in a BOP car, the 10 bolt is the rear end to have. Can be built pretty strong, bosses '71 442 with healthy 461 original 10 bolt holds up just fine with Moser parts in it.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sure wish I had the room to store some cars... Keep finding dirt cheap 70-72 Lemans and Tempests. Would make good parts cars for me. One has factory AC, possibly disk brakes and what looks like some decent sheet metal.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    This car is exceptional. Would love to hear some details and see whats goin on inside.
    My rusty pile of crap is a 1970 Pontiac Lemans that my dad bought at an estate auction from one of our former co-workers in the fall of 2013. Originally ordered as a Verdoro green, green vinyl interior, green vinyl top. 350 with 2 barrel, 3 speed manual saginaw with factory Hurst shifter, 4 wheel manual drum brakes, bench seat. Car has just over 145,000 miles, engine has never been apart, she is wore out. Just started building a nice little 350 Poncho for it.

We got it back on the road in June of 2014, after sitting for who knows how long, at least 5 years. Did all the basics for a car that had been sitting, then about two weeks after we got it running and exactly 6 hours after we put a clutch in it, we headed out for Wichita, KS for the Pontiac Oakland Club International yearly convention. Made it out there without a hitch. Car has seen a few different wheel and tire combos, it became mine after I traded my dad a 1972 Grand Prix that I had. I have made some changes to suit me. It's got some pretty big sway bars, custom boxed rear control arms, has been lowered 2" all around. I put some nice bucket seats in it earlier this year for some side bolsters and lumbar.

Have put 18,000 miles on it since we've had it. Has been to Wichita, Louisville, Davenport, Norwalk a few times, Indy a couple times, all over NE Indiana, drove it to Florida and back a little over a month ago 1,876 miles in 29 hours. I don't drive it everyday, but I do drive it a lot. Once this new engine is in, I'm thinking I'll take a nice trip maybe down to do the Tail of the Dragon.

Thats pretty much the story. Nothing really special about it, but it's part of the family now. It will never leave me while I'm alive.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom