Not open for further replies.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Slightly off topic, but certainly related...

I'm new to the world of BMW, but reading thru a lot of these pages, it appears there are a few well versed in that arena. My specific question is regards to a private shop in Noblesville. Does anyone have a good reason as to why I should avoid Reggie's? I recently obtained an E46, & before I go to any track days, the rear subframe reinforcement is my priority. Unfortunately, I lack welding skills & equipment to DIY at home. I've had no luck in finding shops around the Ft. Wayne area that are both familiar & confident with this common issue. Therefore, I have no problem driving down to Noblesville for the service. I've talked with one of the Nick's on the phone & I briefly visited the shop last fall, although I caught them on lunch & basically nobody was there. Personally, I'm feeling pretty good about it, but before I drop that stack of cash for this surgery, I'm seeking as much info as possible.
    (As mentioned, I'm looking to have reinforcements welded in, not epoxy patched or foam filled)

I had no idea about this. My 335i Xdrive is mostly a stock daily driver but I do have a JB4 installed and run map #5. It's got some go for sure. How common are these failures at bolt on power levels?

IrishSon of Liberty

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    @IndyBrownsFan
    Thanks, I greatly appreciate the info. I was looking at Reggie's since it's the closest for me driving down from the northern part of the state.

@Hop,
    I'm not sure how susceptible the entire E46 lineup is to rear subframe stress fractures, but the M3 most certainly is due to torque from hard shifts & spirited driving. I'm working toward track days & for peace of mind, subframe reinforcement is a must. The way I understand it, for normal everday driving, you should be alright.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Well, I ordered up a new wheelie bar kit this morning. Had the same set since 2004 and have broken and repaired them a couple times. Our HP & Torque has gone up significantly since then so we should have upgraded these a few years ago.
    But, as an added bonus the old bars will serve just fine on the Mustang

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Got the 540 torn back down, decided to go ahead and just pull the water pump back off because it's a LOT easier to access than the crossover tube on the back of the heads. I had planned on just reusing the existing valley pan but someone has had it off before and tried siliconing everything back together and obviously didn't work. The PO said that the dealer had replaced the valve cover gaskets and done some other work on it but I hope that isn't true as they only tore it down and resealed it instead of using new gaskets. Another week or two and I should have this thing back on the road!:laugh:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Got the 540 torn back down, decided to go ahead and just pull the water pump back off because it's a LOT easier to access than the crossover tube on the back of the heads. I had planned on just reusing the existing valley pan but someone has had it off before and tried siliconing everything back together and obviously didn't work. The PO said that the dealer had replaced the valve cover gaskets and done some other work on it but I hope that isn't true as they only tore it down and resealed it instead of using new gaskets. Another week or two and I should have this thing back on the road!:laugh:

:thumbsup:

indybrownsfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Mooresville

I have never resealed the Valley Pan...Always replaced the pan and the bolts ..That is a job you only want to do once.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    So are the cork valve cover gaskets supposed to be tightened more than normal? I put a new set on and just snugged em and they leaked like a sieve when I took it out for a drive. Smoked like an old train and throughly lubed my driveway and garage floor when I got back.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    So are the cork valve cover gaskets supposed to be tightened more than normal? I put a new set on and just snugged em and they leaked like a sieve when I took it out for a drive. Smoked like an old train and throughly lubed my driveway and garage floor when I got back.[/Qtrouble

What kind of valve cover? Stamped steel ot cast aluminum? I only use cork gaskets with a steel insert. But to answer your question cork valve cover gaskets need to be tightened so they kind of form the the lip on the head. I would however recommend Felpro's silicone gasket with the steel insert if you have any more trouble.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    So are the cork valve cover gaskets supposed to be tightened more than normal? I put a new set on and just snugged em and they leaked like a sieve when I took it out for a drive. Smoked like an old train and throughly lubed my driveway and garage floor when I got back.

Did you put them on the stock tins...???

There is a process that requires you to flatten the old tins back to straight and then make sure you have the spreaders on the bolts.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    They’re Edelbrock stamped steel covers

Never used Edelbrock stamped valve covers, but have tried 2 sets of the stamped steel Moroso valve covers. JUNK. Both sets crushed around the bolt holes and tore. Even with the use of spreaders to distribute the load from the nuts.
    I have seen some used successfully but I recommend getting something with a solid rail and use weatherstrip adhesive to glue the gaskets to the valve covers

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom