• Status
    Not open for further replies.

ZachJ03

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 11, 2011
    Grant Co.
    Off subject but I finally got my pile up to CJ’s Racing Engines in Auburn and made a few dyno pulls a few weeks ago. The car made more than I was expecting for 10.5psi. It does creep a tad, I have seen 11-12psi before. This was my third and best pull, had tire slippage on the second pull. Tried uploading dyno vid to Photobucket and it isn’t having it. Still on a stock bottom end 302 :):

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Off subject but I finally got my pile up to CJ’s Racing Engines in Auburn and made a few dyno pulls a few weeks ago. The car made more than I was expecting for 10.5psi. It does creep a tad, I have seen 11-12psi before. This was my third and best pull, had tire slippage on the second pull. Tried uploading dyno vid to Photobucket and it isn’t having it. Still on a stock bottom end 302 :):

How much will that stock 302 take...???

ZachJ03

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 11, 2011
    Grant Co.
    Lol, it’s past it’s life expectancy, been together for 3 years now. The tune is solid and I keep RPM’s conservative (6k). The old myth is the block will split at 500rwhp. I think mainly due to guys getting carried away with RPM.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Lol, it’s past it’s life expectancy, been together for 3 years now. The tune is solid and I keep RPM’s conservative (6k). The old myth is the block will split at 500rwhp. I think mainly due to guys getting carried away with RPM.

Spin-em up like you hate them.
    Stock rods have engineering limitations which is why serious builders step up to after market.
    As you say, keep it realistic and it will live.

ZachJ03

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 11, 2011
    Grant Co.
    Stock rods have engineering limitations which is why serious builders step up to after market.

Oh yeah, fully aware of factory bottom end limitations. If/when it splits then I’ll weigh bottom end options, aftermarket SBF based block and rotating assembly or Coyote. Guys are doing some pretty good stuff on Coyote+Tubo set ups. As long as the factory 302 bottom end hangs in there, I’ll stick with him. AFR’s are solid under boost, timing and RPM’s are conservative.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis

Nice. Is what are you doing with the car? Street cruiser, street & strip, road racing??

You're right keep the rpms reigned in and it will live longer than rumors say. Some people just try to get too greedy with a stock block & rotating assembly

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Nice. Is what are you doing with the car? Street cruiser, street & strip, road racing??

You're right keep the rpms reigned in and it will live longer than rumors say. Some people just try to get too greedy with a stock block & rotating assembly

They tend not to realize the rod stops the piston and reverses directing 2 times in every rotation. Not as hard stopping it on the down stroke and going back up. The failures happen (mostly) when the piston stops at the top and is pulled back down on the intake stroke. Tend to stretch the rod caps.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    They tend not to realize the rod stops the piston and reverses directing 2 times in every rotation. Not as hard stopping it on the down stroke and going back up. The failures happen (mostly) when the piston stops at the top and is pulled back down on the intake stroke. Tend to stretch the rod caps.

I was under the impression that failures like rods/blocks happened at peak torque not necessarily high rpm. Peak torque being the highest cylinder pressure and therefore most “power”. Whereas high rpm failures tend to be caused by oiling issues.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I was under the impression that failures like rods/blocks happened at peak torque not necessarily high rpm. Peak torque being the highest cylinder pressure and therefore most “power”. Whereas high rpm failures tend to be caused by oiling issues.

Cyilnder pressure and rod stretch are IMHO both brutal on an engine. Especially when it has a power adder and run high rpms.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy

No guarantees of an afterlife either. Even with aftermarket.
    We're in an area of unknowns unless we travel the beaten path and eventually that gets over the top boring.

ZachJ03

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 11, 2011
    Grant Co.

Its just a street cruiser. It’s a blast on the street. Made a few passes last year at Muncie and got a best of 10.9@131.9mph leaving on no 2 step, no boost and no power shifts. Don’t plan on taking it to the strip much, just occasional cruises. Has a decent suspension set up and 275/50/15 ET Street R’s out back so it hooks in second gear and up on the street most of the time.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

High RPMs will stretch a rod cap and allow the bearing to spin. Or the cap will just break. Or the rod bolts will fail. Stock pistons are heavy. Stock rods have a point they can no longer survive the harmonics/pressures being exerted. Main caps are the same. They are merely cast pieces. 2 bolt mains are much weaker than the 4 bolt offerings.
    Cast cranks will fail due to twisting/harmonics.

In the day with properly prepared stock rods/cranks/lighter aftermarket pistons we would spin the guts out of a small block. They would take the abuse right up to the point where they didn't.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Its just a street cruiser. It’s a blast on the street. Made a few passes last year at Muncie and got a best of 10.9@131.9mph leaving on no 2 step, no boost and no power shifts. Don’t plan on taking it to the strip much, just occasional cruises. Has a decent suspension set up and 275/50/15 ET Street R’s out back so it hooks in second gear and up on the street most of the time.

Nice. Sounds like a very fun little foxbody

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    High RPMs will stretch a rod cap and allow the bearing to spin. Or the cap will just break. Or the rod bolts will fail. Stock pistons are heavy. Stock rods have a point they can no longer survive the harmonics/pressures being exerted. Main caps are the same. They are merely cast pieces. 2 bolt mains are much weaker than the 4 bolt offerings.
    Cast cranks will fail due to twisting/harmonics.

In the day with properly prepared stock rods/cranks/lighter aftermarket pistons we would spin the guts out of a small block. They would take the abuse right up to the point where they didn't.
    Quality parts is of the utmost importance if you expect it to live under consistently high rpms. And as Halfmile mentioned even then stuff breaks.
    I always recommend a little over kill. Get parts designed to handle a little more than what your intentions are

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Quality parts is of the utmost importance if you expect it to live under consistently high rpms. And as Halfmile mentioned even then stuff breaks.
    I always recommend a little over kill. Get parts designed to handle a little more than what your intentions are

Overkill is mandatory considering I don't know one of us that's ever finished with these money sucking, noisy, always needin' work SOBs.
    You build a house from the foundation up. Same with a car.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom