• Status
    Not open for further replies.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Since the bike sold and the Tib is still in pieces I drove the truck today. First chance to test the cooling system. With the 65 closure the traffic home sucks. 40 minutes in stop and go. After 15 minutes it had risen to 175* from its normal 170*. Success!

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    I then spent the rest of the afternoon saw cutting the floor in the shop so I can pour in a heavier footer where the 2 post lift is being mounted. The saw did a great job BUT. . . . .it only cuts 4 1/2" and apparently the floor is at least 6" thick. I drilled a couple of test holes and they both confirmed the floor at only 4" thick hence the new footer. So now I can rent a 30" saw or just pay to have it done.:xmad:

Oh well, it's not about the destination but the journey right?:patriot:
    Hey, so I gotta know. How did you decide on a 2 post or did you ever consider a 4 post. I am going to buy a lift next summer since I just got my garage done. I have been really thinking 4 post because I want to park a car under it, but a buddy that has a 4 post, keeps trying to talk me into a 2 post.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Hey, so I gotta know. How did you decide on a 2 post or did you ever consider a 4 post. I am going to buy a lift next summer since I just got my garage done. I have been really thinking 4 post because I want to park a car under it, but a buddy that has a 4 post, keeps trying to talk me into a 2 post.

The 2 post is by far more flexible. You can not do any real suspension work on a 4 post.
    Why can't you park a car under a 2 post. People do it all the time.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Took the day off so I could get the Galaxie down to the alignment shop; I decided to wait for it because I knew it wasn't going to be a typical alignment given that typical alignments are simply a toe adjustment nowadays. Sure enough I got to listen to a lot of "concerns" about how difficult it was with the headers, the larger than stock swaybar and the tooth fairy being off on Wednesdays. However I kept encouraging them and telling him that I brought it to them because I had been told they were the best in town yada, yada, yada. Anyhow all of the ego stroking paid off and they finally returned it "as good as new but it's going to cost a little extra because it took longer than a "normal" alignment". $100 out the door.:rockwoot: I didn't take it out for a drive as I had other things going on and needed to get back to the barn, literally.

I then spent the rest of the afternoon saw cutting the floor in the shop so I can pour in a heavier footer where the 2 post lift is being mounted. The saw did a great job BUT. . . . .it only cuts 4 1/2" and apparently the floor is at least 6" thick. I drilled a couple of test holes and they both confirmed the floor at only 4" thick hence the new footer. So now I can rent a 30" saw or just pay to have it done.:xmad:

Oh well, it's not about the destination but the journey right?:patriot:

This is why I use Chriss over at Marwood yire. He is a hot rodder. Has some serious pieces and he understands. He may charge more for the work but what you get is exemplary. These new wave guys really do not want to work that hard.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder

The 2 post is by far more flexible. You can not do any real suspension work on a 4 post.
    Why can't you park a car under a 2 post. People do it all the time.

This right here. I was leaning heavily towards a 4 post for ease of use if nothing else but it would have required a different layout in my shop, cutting in a new door and extending the driveway. That and my board of advisors (INGO members that post in this thread) strongly urged me in the two post direction. I believe it will serve me in my uses and I will still be able to park underneath it in the winter.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    This is why I use Chriss over at Marwood yire. He is a hot rodder. Has some serious pieces and he understands. He may charge more for the work but what you get is exemplary. These new wave guys really do not want to work that hard.

Yeah I believe that is what finally convinced them to keep going, I told them I expected it to be right when they were done and I would happily pay them for their actual time. I'll probably give your guy a try next time.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Since the bike sold and the Tib is still in pieces I drove the truck today. First chance to test the cooling system. With the 65 closure the traffic home sucks. 40 minutes in stop and go. After 15 minutes it had risen to 175* from its normal 170*. Success!

That's so cool!

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    If you’re running a quality oil and monitoring the condition thinshiukdnt be an issue. If it was some old paraffin based Quaker sludge I might be more concerned. It’s a 160 tstat in there.

Most injected cars need the coolant temps around 190-200 to help keep cumbustiin temps higher, meaning higher egt to keep that cats lit. I have none if that to worry about so let’s make all the powers.

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    I've been mildly consumed with this turbo truck build that I'm wanting to pull off. I will say, it's going to be a lot more difficult than I initially assumed.
    After researching and going through the Sloppy Mechanics site/videos (in particular, the "don't bs me" Colorado build he did back in 2017), my best bet is to find a rough shape truck with an LS and a 4l80e already in it, then go to town on it. If I count the tuning materials as tools and not parts for the build, I *might* be able to squeak this build in under 2k. That's a strong *might*.
    Still wanna go for it, even if I can't hit the 2k or less goal.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Neighbor recently sold a suitable donor for scrap value. It was ROUGH but it did move under its own power. He let his kids play with it in the backyard for a couple of weeks before consigning it to the shredder.

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    That's unfortunate. However, I'm also not really in the position to pick something up right now. Even if it was dirt cheap.
    But when I am, I'll make sure to light the beacon so you guys can help feed the habit.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    That's unfortunate. However, I'm also not really in the position to pick something up right now. Even if it was dirt cheap.
    But when I am, I'll make sure to light the beacon so you guys can help feed the habit.

Yup, that's the bad thing about "deals" you have to be ready to pull the trigger when it presents itself. I scored a $3500 medical grade air compressor for $200 when the company had depreciated it to zero and were required for tax purposes to buy a new one. I had asked about it when I picked it up and he told me the story, he also told me that I was just buying the beer for the company picnic that weekend. Glad to be of service!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom