• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    I trust the NRA about as far as Gary Coleman can throw them.

I hate to bug Kirk. He provides so much free advice to dozens of gun boards.

It's not abut trusting the NRA, those pamphlets are just the states laws, all in one place to clear it up for people. That is all.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Well I didn't bother to do the foot work, but at the end of the NRA's summarization of the IN state laws, they provide references to all the ICs they used, and on the IN.gov site there is a little code finder thing on the bottom left, you could semi-easily double check their info/interpretation. I have wondered about their synopsis before, and it's good that the list the sources so you can check them.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Are you willing to pony up the cash for my legal defense?

Yes. If it is a charge of Having a Long-gun loaded in a car, and not some DTP, negligence or some other convoluted charge, I will forgo my next semester at school and pay your legal defense out of my college loan. :wavey:

Steelman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    Danville, IN

Just be cool for now. When I hear it from an actual lawyer (unless Rhino is a lawyer - i dont know him) , then you can celebrate.

Said lawyer will also have to be willing to open carry a loaded rifle/shotgun in a public place. If it's not illegal why isn't EVERYONE (or at least someone) carrying their shotgun/rifle in a public setting.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Legal advice you get on internet is worth exactly what you pay for it. I'm definitely not a lawyer (and I did not spend last night at Holiday Inn Express either), but I have spent quite a bit of time studying the laws pertaining to firearms in Indiana over the last 14 years. Plus I talk to Kirk whenever I can.

Given that, I happen to know that:

1. The Indiana Code is silent on the transport and possession of long guns, whether loaded or not. The Indiana License to Carry Handgun pertains only to handguns, not long guns.
    2. If there is no law specifically making something illegal, it is not illegal (which may seem redundant). You can't be charged with breaking a law that does not exist (yet).
    3. The closest thing to a law barring the carry of a loaded long gun exists in the DNR Administrative Regulations. If you are hunting (and only if you are hunting), and you are operating an offroad vehicle, then your long gun must be unloaded.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Just be cool for now. When I hear it from an actual lawyer (unless Rhino is a lawyer - i dont know him) , then you can celebrate.

Said lawyer will also have to be willing to open carry a loaded rifle/shotgun in a public place. If it's not illegal why isn't EVERYONE (or at least someone) carrying their shotgun/rifle in a public setting.

Ok, I see you'll hold out for the professional opinion, I respect that :cheers:

Also though, just because something is legal, doesn't mean it is smart or that you won't get hassled for it. I'm not gonna walk around Downtown indy in a tac vest and strap on my AR over my back, but if I had a car at school I'd have no problem keeping an AR in their for SHTF. :do2:

Just wondering also, have you looked for a law on it? I just read them all and none addressed it, so therefore it is legal. And no, not a lawyer, just a well-read boy who plans on going to law school after business school. We'll see what a professional says though.

Steelman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    Danville, IN
    Legal advice you get on internet is worth exactly what you pay for it. I'm definitely not a lawyer (and I did not spend last night at Holiday Inn Express either), but I have spent quite a bit of time studying the laws pertaining to firearms in Indiana over the last 14 years. Plus I talk to Kirk whenever I can.

1. The Indiana Code is silent on the transport and possession of long guns, whether loaded or not. The Indiana License to Carry Handgun pertains only to handguns, not long guns.
    2. If there is no law specifically making something illegal, it is not illegal (which may seem redundant). You can't be charged with breaking a law that does not exist (yet).
    3. The closest thing to a law barring the carry of a loaded long gun exists in the DNR Administrative Regulations. If you are hunting (and only if you are hunting), and you are operating an offroad vehicle, then your long gun must be unloaded.

I really, truly and honestly hope I'm wrong.

There's also no law (that has been found) requiring private citizens to file tax returns, but we all still do. Thats another thread!

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    I really, truly and honestly hope I'm wrong.

There's also no law (that has been found) requiring private citizens to file tax returns, but we all still do. Thats another thread!

There are several State and Federal laws that require the filing of returns...:n00b:

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA

3. The closest thing to a law barring the carry of a loaded long gun exists in the DNR Administrative Regulations. If you are hunting (and only if you are hunting), and you are operating an off road vehicle, then your long gun must be unloaded.

;), Rhino is correct. Unless you are threatening someone, pointing it at individuals or groups, creating a disturbance or putting someone in fear of bodily harm then you are probably good to go. However, that said, I would not suggest walking into a business (bank, gas station) or strolling around downtown Indy with said long gun.

Common sense (I didn't say legal) would dictate that some would call the local police and I'm sure that their panties would be bunched (rightfully so) and weapons may be drawn and just maybe a few curse words uttered :D. Would you go to jail, maybe, is it legal, just depends on way too many circumstances, the responding cops, the prosecutor and who the judge believes :dunno: if you are arrested. Would I personally risk it, Not Without a very Good Reason :rolleyesedit:

If it's in your car or no one sees you then, well it never happened and you are good to go.

People are unaccustomed to seeing someone walk around with a long gun and with all of the crazies, perceived anti gunners, fear, or curiosity would dictate that someone would call the police to investigate and everyone knows, once them cops are called, then anything can happen :draw:

Steelman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    Danville, IN
    If we are NOT free to exercise open carry of a long gun........and will face consequencesfor doing so.................thats pretty much a "law" .................no criminal code, no specific statute, but accomplishes the same thing.

Id also love to see a traffic stop with a loaded uncased FAL in plain sight/

Top Bottom